Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Feb 2, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #18,571 of 42,298

Quote:
Trust me, as an Alabama man myself, we have universally disowned that idiot for poisoning the trees.  We want to beat Auburn on the field, but we like each other as people.  After the horrible tornado really tore up Tuscaloosa, Auburn folks were the first people on the scene to help out.  We don't ever forget that.

I heard Vulcan was really pissed off about those trees...

Feb 2, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #18,573 of 42,298
     Quote:
wish i had better experience with TS 5998 thats so highly regarded around here.
i spent 200 dollars on my tubes only to find out they where bad.
this already will probably mean i'lll never buy a tung sol product ever again. and now im mad that ill never get to get how the ts 5998 actually are supposed to sound on the wa2. 
frown.gif

I bought a pair of TS 5998s (NOS) from ebay last summer; the seller was Langrex, located in the UK  (www.langrex.co.uk).  They arrived in perfect condition and I have them almost permanently mounted in my WA2.  (I also have Sylvania 7236s, among others, but don't use them much).  This pair of tubes wasn't cheap, but they were in mint condition, right down to the printing, and they sound fantastic.  At the time I thought the price was high (I paid $210 in US dollars, including shipping from Sussex to Michigan) but seeing what these are going for now, I wish I would have bought 2 pair.

I've since seen this seller a couple of times on eBay, but I don't know what they have available.  If anyone is interested, they have an email contact address:  jamesatlangrex@aol.com

Feb 3, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #18,574 of 42,298
I didn't realize the 5998's were fetching such a high price. I guess that's more incentive for me to keep them boxed up. I'm more of a GEC man myself. But in all honesty, my ears pick up such a subtle difference in power tubes that I can't see myself throwing down over $200 a pair in the near future at the detriment of buying more vinyl.

Feb 3, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #18,575 of 42,298

Quote:
     Quote:

I bought a pair of TS 5998s (NOS) from ebay last summer; the seller was Langrex, located in the UK  (www.langrex.co.uk).  They arrived in perfect condition and I have them almost permanently mounted in my WA2.  (I also have Sylvania 7236s, among others, but don't use them much).  This pair of tubes wasn't cheap, but they were in mint condition, right down to the printing, and they sound fantastic.  At the time I thought the price was high (I paid $210 in US dollars, including shipping from Sussex to Michigan) but seeing what these are going for now, I wish I would have bought 2 pair.

I've since seen this seller a couple of times on eBay, but I don't know what they have available.  If anyone is interested, they have an email contact address:  jamesatlangrex@aol.com

++1 on Langrex. I got two pairs of Mullard ECC32 from him. $$$, but condition and performance are excellent. Highly recommend James from Langrex.

Feb 3, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #18,576 of 42,298
My experience with Langrex was not stellar. I bought a pair of Mullard ECC33 that end up being other brand and rebrabded Mullard but that was not disclosed. I sent them back and he gve me a full refund so I can complain much about it other that I owuld appreciate disclosing the rebranding upfront.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Feb 3, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #18,577 of 42,298
Where does one learn how to identify rebranded tubes?

Feb 3, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #18,578 of 42,298

Quote:
     Quote:

Good seller in my experience.  My original pair of Sylvania Bad Boys came from him.  They were the real deal.  The really great thing about buying American made tubes from Europe is there is a better chance you are getting good production stock or field stock leftover on that continent.  The dark truth behind many of the tubes that are found in warehouses and such here is they are often B stock of sorts or production test rejects that were never disposed of and held as reserve stock.  The good stuff went out to get used.

Feb 3, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #18,579 of 42,298

Quote:
Where does one learn how to identify rebranded tubes?

I think the best way is to be familiar with the physical construction details that were unique to each manufacturer.  Sometimes, especially in Europe with the Philips family of companies, that isn't enough and you have to learn how to read their factory codes printed on the tube.

Feb 3, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #18,580 of 42,298

Quote:
Good seller in my experience.  My original pair of Sylvania Bad Boys came from him.  They were the real deal.  The really great thing about buying American made tubes from Europe is there is a better chance you are getting good production stock or field stock leftover on that continent.  The dark truth behind many of the tubes that are found in warehouses and such here is they are often B stock of sorts or production test rejects that were never disposed of and held as reserve stock.  The good stuff went out to get used.

Well, I have to agree. I got the best Tung-Sol 6SN7 bgrp from Greece. They were in U.S.N. boxes. Probably original supplies for US Navy which has been around the Med since WWII.

Feb 3, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #18,581 of 42,298
6DE4
6FY7
6AS11
6SN7
6AL11
6FY7
6X5
6HZ8
6J5

anybody heard of any of these tubes?

Feb 3, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #18,583 of 42,298
I too have a mixed experience with Langrex.
I got some Brimar NOS that tested poor.
When I complained he replaced them with similar but not the same type tubes.

I have also used a Greek supplier and I got some expensive lemons.
I did not have a tester then so I was buying on trust.

I believe the best US made tubes were kept in the US for use, spare stock etc.
I can't imagine the best tubes were ever sent overseas specially if we consider the military versions.

Feb 3, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #18,584 of 42,298
Feb 3, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #18,585 of 42,298
Any of you analog woo'ers use a turntable clamp? Just curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back