Whats the best Balanced Armature iem you have ever tried?
Nov 25, 2012 at 6:50 AM Post #91 of 484
yes, it is all about preferences. the heir and ue900 may be technically better, with higher resolution etc. but, i really like the sub bass and soundstage of the tf10.

as for sm3/2. never heard such a weird soundstage. they made me seasick. besides this, they were too dark sounding for my liking.

Nov 25, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #94 of 484
Is it really that good?!

It depends on one's personal preference. Objectively I think the numbers show it reproduces more accurate audio than mostly anything else. My ears agree but most people's probably won't.

Nov 25, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #95 of 484
I may have replied to this thread before, but...

Personal preference: SM3>TF10=X10=UM3x

W3 was too weird, only BA earphone I've heard that I didn't like at all. Very detailed, good sized soundstage, excellent imaging, but it was just too colored, too bright, mids were too dry, midbass was just so much louder than everything else.

SM3 takes me to a nice, miniature multi-armature 3D private universe with awesome imaging and no real flaws in the tonal balance or timbre once the filters were out; it was a tad dark and soft sounding for my taste before, but taking the filters out added to the bass impact and opened up the upper midrange and treble. Sibilance comes VERY occasionally since removing filters, but it doesn't outweigh the benefits IMO: more neutral mids, better bass impact, brighter/more neutral overall sig without the veil. The unfiltered SM3 taught me how IEM bass should sound, it only occasionally loses a bit of resolution. Weird/slightly unnatural presentation next to other high end multi-armatures, but has an excellent 3D sound once you get used to it.

TF10 is just a classic. Awesome v shape, very euphoric without noticeably recessed mids, great bass and treble. Colored, but not too terribly much. Good width on the soundstage.

X10 is really warm and colored, but sounds so pleasant, and is just so comfortable and simple to use. If these had a replaceable cable, it would be a no-brainer for a bassy BA at $200. Makes me wonder what it would take to reshell in an ety er4 housing...

UM3x I only had for a short while but it really impressed me with the fully out-of-head sound and great mids. Extension on both ends couldn't match SM3 but the soundstage is bigger overall, easier to figure out, and very technically impressive for an IEM. The dynamics, extension, and fun factor aren't on par with SM3, but I think it is a bit more tonally accurate and very real-sounding.

Nov 26, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #96 of 484
Quote:
It depends on one's personal preference. Objectively I think the numbers show it reproduces more accurate audio than mostly anything else. My ears agree but most people's probably won't.

graphCompare.php

The ER-6 has extremely cut off treble. I wouldn't consider this "accurate."

Nov 26, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #97 of 484
Quote:
graphCompare.php

The ER-6 has extremely cut off treble. I wouldn't consider this "accurate."

That's the ER-6i which is not the same iem. Treble response in the ER-6 evens out to a large degree with wider bore tips.

Measurements past 10k are also unreliable. One would be hard pressed to find a more accurate response than the green line above. The ER4S is better, but I don't have one.

Nov 26, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #101 of 484
buy them at thomann.de. you could send them back than. by the way: there will be an extended bass version in the next few days. check hifi-forum.de for further information.

Nov 26, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #103 of 484

Wow that's pretty awesome. I wanted an SM3 for a long time but they were always described as veiled and lacking treble. Doesn't look like too much of an issue on the graph. I wonder how the other measurements add up given it has 3 drivers. Also I wonder if removing the filters would improve accuracy.

Nov 26, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #104 of 484
They were on the dark side when I first got them, but now I use mine without filters and they are by far the most neutral sounding ANYTHING I have heard to date, incluidng Sennheiser HD280 which is definitely the most neutral can I've heard to date. My friend used to brag that his 80 ohm DT770 were "flat as s***" but these are definitely more tonally neutral than anything I've heard, and not in the dry, lifeless, mostly-mids tonality kind of thing you get from something like the UM3x or Ety HF5.
Quote:
Wow that's pretty awesome. I wanted an SM3 for a long time but they were always described as veiled and lacking treble. Doesn't look like too much of an issue on the graph. I wonder how the other measurements add up given it has 3 drivers. Also I wonder if removing the filters would improve accuracy.

Nov 26, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #105 of 484
They were on the dark side when I first got them, but now I use mine without filters and they are by far the most neutral sounding ANYTHING I have heard to date, incluidng Sennheiser HD280 which is definitely the most neutral can I've heard to date. My friend used to brag that his 80 ohm DT770 were "flat as s***" but these are definitely more tonally neutral than anything I've heard, and not in the dry, lifeless, mostly-mids tonality kind of thing you get from something like the UM3x or Ety HF5.

I'll definitely have to get these at some point in that case. Just got an ER4S though so I should probably wait a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back