Whats the best Balanced Armature iem you have ever tried?
Apr 22, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #466 of 484
  Some earphones in my collection that are noted for being "bloated bass" includes:

1) JVC HA-FX102
2) Nuforce NE-600x
3) Yamaha EPH-M200
4) JVC HA-FX750 - the bass is overly emphasized but the open-back design prevents from being too congestive.

If you happen to have one of those, you'll understand what bloated bass is.

I do not think BAs would have bloated bass like dynamics. In order for an earphone to produce big bass, one needs a dynamic driver, big speaker diameter, and heavy vent to load high amount of air to pump out more bass. BA drivers are isolated from outside or air, so their bass are never be equal as dynamic's

Sony XBA-40, though it has "super-woofer" and "woofer", does not sound bloated like those. So I believe the IM-04, which has two BA drivers dedicated for bass, will not be considered as bass-heavy either.

I guess I like bloated bass then if I like the JVC HA-XXXX.

The XBA-40's "pitch resonance" or sound signature is very high.

The ATH-IM04 is much warmer.

I hope the Shure SE846 and ATH-E70 sounds warmer and darker than the ATH-IM04.

Apr 22, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #467 of 484
The xba-40 was downright harsh from out of box and needed burn-in with some heavy drum and bass tracks, like I did with bassdrive.com. the treble harshness was toned down significantly after 4-5 days of burn-in.

Note that the ba drivers from Sony are the first to change or smoothen out after burn-in. Usually ba drivers doesnt need burn-in.

Now it sounds really warm and mellowed, I had to put spin-fit ear tips to increase its treble response or little brighter

Apr 22, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #468 of 484
The xba-40 was downright harsh from out of box and needed burn-in with some heavy drum and bass tracks, like I did with bassdrive.com. the treble harshness was toned down significantly after 4-5 days of burn-in.

Note that the ba drivers from Sony are the first to change or smoothen out after burn-in. Usually ba drivers doesnt need burn-in.

Now it sounds really warm and mellowed, I had to put spin-fit ear tips to increase its treble response or little brighter

The XBA-40 always gave me the feeling that the recordings could always reach lower and lower and lower...

Thing is it didn't and after a while the myth kind of became fiction...

Nonetheless, it was my favorite because of how balanced the sound is... but I'm very indecisive about favorites... they mostly just perform different for different tastes...

Apr 22, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #469 of 484

Thats why ive never been a fan of the xba series.

Apr 22, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #470 of 484
Thats why ive never been a fan of the xba series.

It's acceptable but the fit is quite bothersome - it needs frequent adjustment to feel right. The only xba series that impresses me is the xba-1 though

Apr 22, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #471 of 484
It's acceptable but the fit is quite bothersome - it needs frequent adjustment to feel right. The only xba series that impresses me is the xba-1 though
agree with sean.the only sony iem that impresses me is mdr ex1000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back