Whats the best Balanced Armature iem you have ever tried?
Apr 19, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #451 of 484
My fav's: Shure E500, Westone UM2, UM Melody 
All 3 were fairly balanced with the E500 a little bass heavy.
definitely shure products are tilting towards a bass type of sound which dont go well with audiophiles who hate bass

Apr 19, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #452 of 484
google empire ears zeus. Those are 14 drovers per side. $2000.

Whew that's a lot! (Both drivers and $!) 
tongue.gif

definitely shure products are tilting towards a bass type of sound which dont go well with audiophiles who hate bass

I hope that includes the SE846. I don't know which other earphones would be bassier than the ATH-IM04... I mostly know commercial brands...

Apr 19, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #453 of 484
I hope that includes the SE846. I don't know which other earphones would be bassier than the ATH-IM04... I mostly know commercial brands...
yes and the se846 is rather overpriced since the emergence of flc8s which boasts better technical performance.

Apr 21, 2016 at 7:28 AM Post #460 of 484
  Classic higher price = higher quality mindset i tell you.

That and mainstream brands.

I feel more comfortable with commercial brands because I believe they're cheaper and better¹ because they're adapted to a broader source of customers.

¹ But that's without trying the other companies.

All I'm really looking for in an earphone is a lot of bass (not that spike in the midrange that makes kick drums boom, the real warm type of bass) and neutral sound (not any kind of alterations to the sound).

(So far, I have found the ATH-IM04 to be the best)?

Apr 21, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #461 of 484
That and mainstream brands.

I feel more comfortable with commercial brands because I believe they're cheaper and better¹ because they're adapted to a broader source of customers.

¹ But that's without trying the other companies.

All I'm really looking for in an earphone is a lot of bass (not that spike in the midrange that makes kick drums boom, the real warm type of bass) and neutral sound (not any kind of alterations to the sound).

(So far, I have found the ATH-IM04 to be the best)?
do you like bloated bass?

Apr 21, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #463 of 484
I'm not sure what bloated means, but I like when the bass acts like a sound floor... when it gets low and airy, not sharp and dry...
ah icic thats why you will like Shure though IMO

Apr 21, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #464 of 484
Some earphones in my collection that are noted for being "bloated bass" includes:

1) JVC HA-FX102
2) Nuforce NE-600x
3) Yamaha EPH-M200
4) JVC HA-FX750 - the bass is overly emphasized but the open-back design prevents from being too congestive.

If you happen to have one of those, you'll understand what bloated bass is.

I do not think BAs would have bloated bass like dynamics. In order for an earphone to produce big bass, one needs a dynamic driver, big speaker diameter, and heavy vent to load high amount of air to pump out more bass. BA drivers are isolated from outside or air, so their bass are never be equal as dynamic's

Sony XBA-40, though it has "super-woofer" and "woofer", does not sound bloated like those. So I believe the IM-04, which has two BA drivers dedicated for bass, will not be considered as bass-heavy either.

Apr 21, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #465 of 484
Some earphones in my collection that are noted for being "bloated bass" includes:

1) JVC HA-FX102
2) Nuforce NE-600x
3) Yamaha EPH-M200
4) JVC HA-FX750 - the bass is overly emphasized but the open-back design prevents from being too congestive.

If you happen to have one of those, you'll understand what bloated bass is.

I do not think BAs would have bloated bass like dynamics. In order for an earphone to produce big bass, one needs a dynamic driver, big speaker diameter, and heavy vent to load high amount of air to pump out more bass. BA drivers are isolated from outside or air, so their bass are never be equal as dynamic's

Sony XBA-40, though it has "super-woofer" and "woofer", does not sound bloated like those. So I believe the IM-04, which has two BA drivers dedicated for bass, will not be considered as bass-heavy either.
thks for the detailed explanation mate. Dynamic drivers can result in bloated bass unlike BA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back