Whats the best Balanced Armature iem you have ever tried?
Jan 12, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #318 of 484
So far, for straight up BA based phones, in no particular order:
JH13FP, ER-4S, UERM, and in a totally different way, the FAD Heaven V.

Edit: let's throw the FA-4E XB in there for the hell of it. A solid product.

Jan 12, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #319 of 484
Ultimate Ears 7 Pro > Ultimate Ears TF10 > AT CK10 > UE 700 > FA DBA02 MKII > Sony XBA-30 > Klipsch X10 > Altec Lansing MZX606

I'm sure I'm missing many examples, but my memory isn't what it used to be. Sorry. 

Jan 12, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #320 of 484
  Etymotic ER4P

It's interesting when a head-fier selects the old Etymotic instead of a “technologically improved” BA based IEM of late. It makes me want to slow down and not be so quick to jump on the next new shiny (well marketed) IEM.

It's funny when the question is “what is the best BA IEM...” (singular) and head-fiers (inevitably) throw in hybrids and include a list like the “rank them” thread.
ksc75smile.gif

Jan 12, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #321 of 484
It's interesting when a head-fier selects the old Etymotic instead of a “technologically improved” BA based IEM of late. It makes me want to slow down and not be so quick to jump on the next new shiny (well marketed) IEM.

It's funny when the question is “what is the best BA IEM...” (singular) and head-fiers (inevitably) throw in hybrids and include a list like the “rank them” thread.:ksc75smile:

Haha, the ER-4 is a beast. Just saying.

Jan 12, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #322 of 484
So far, for straight up BA based phones, in no particular order:
JH13FP, ER-4S, UERM, and in a totally different way, the FAD Heaven V.

Edit: let's throw the FA-4E XB in there for the hell of it. A solid product.

The FA-4E is the best BA I've heard for sure. It bests the TG334 to my ears. 

Jan 12, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #323 of 484

It's funny when the question is “what is the best BA IEM...” (singular) and head-fiers (inevitably) throw in hybrids and include a list like the “rank them” thread.
ksc75smile.gif

Not only that, but the etymotic is a SINGLE BA driver,NO crossover, and when i A/B the etymotic to Westone w4r 4BA/TRIPLE CROSS With toxic silver poison cable (same dap,dac,amp,interconnects) the etymotics are easily on par with the pure silver w4r...and its mind blowing to me. and i agree with you, we have gotten into this MORE is MORE....well how can that be when this iem is doing it with LESS. that also goes for A.Bing my se535 with the DHC Symbiote Copper Cable....ety still on par or better.

i kinda feel like the industry is pulling the wool over our eyes, driving us on this perception that more is better, balanced armatures, dynamic armatures ect ect ect just feel like yeah those iems probably DO sound great. BUT on the other hand....you have the etymotic er4p/s/b/pt as the elephant in the room doing so much, with so little.

Jan 12, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #324 of 484
Haha, the ER-4 is a beast. Just saying.

Amen to that. I've actually posted on the first page of this thread but now after about a week with the Noble 4, I just have to say - the Noble 4. But don't get me wrong, the er4s is awe-inspiring for a super small, single BA iem created more than 20 years ago and still being among the best.

Jan 12, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #325 of 484
Amen to that. I've actually posted on the first page of this thread but now after about a week with the Noble 4, I just have to say - the Noble 4. But don't get me wrong, the er4s is awe-inspiring for a super small, single BA iem created more than 20 years ago and still being among the best.

It's ok, I've heard a $30 dynamic that's smoother, faster, cleaner, crisper... Or is it harder, faster, better, stronger...? :p
And I just ordered a UERM which is the bees knees.

Nah, they're all good. :smile:

That doesn't take anything away from the ER-4S, that is in my ears as I type, from being absolutely incredible.

Jan 12, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #326 of 484
It's ok, I've heard a $30 dynamic that's smoother, faster, cleaner, crisper... Or is it harder, faster, better, stronger...?
tongue.gif

And I just ordered a UERM which is the bees knees.

Nah, they're all good.
smile.gif

That doesn't take anything away from the ER-4S, that is in my ears as I type, from being absolutely incredible.

SO jealous over here, im having Ted reterminate my er4p to a nice new Viablue Connector, i cant wait till mine are back with me.... :O(

Jan 12, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #328 of 484
  Not only that, but the etymotic is a SINGLE BA driver,NO crossover, and when i A/B the etymotic to Westone w4r 4BA/TRIPLE CROSS With toxic silver poison cable (same dap,dac,amp,interconnects) the etymotics are easily on par with the pure silver w4r...and its mind blowing to me. and i agree with you, we have gotten into this MORE is MORE....well how can that be when this iem is doing it with LESS. that also goes for A.Bing my se535 with the DHC Symbiote Copper Cable....ety still on par or better.

i kinda feel like the industry is pulling the wool over our eyes, driving us on this perception that more is better, balanced armatures, dynamic armatures ect ect ect just feel like yeah those iems probably DO sound great. BUT on the other hand....you have the etymotic er4p/s/b/pt as the elephant in the room doing so much, with so little.

Yeah, how do those Etymotics do it?  They are still my go to IEM for travelling light for sound, comfort and isolation.  Other IEMs sound muddy and unclear.

Jan 12, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #329 of 484

Yeah, how do those Etymotics do it?  They are still my go to IEM for travelling light for sound, comfort and isolation.  Other IEMs sound muddy and unclear.

maybe it sticking a thin piece of plastic and silicone deep in your ear canal where most things shouldn't go? I'm sure the Etymotics are the bees knees, but I ran fast from them when I had to try shoving the HF5 in my ears so deep it actually hurt. No thanks...but again...I'm sure those Etys sing like a bird for those who can deal with deep insertion. Kinda like a girl does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back