Vsonic GR07 MK2 - stunning new cable! | bio-cel tech IEM | now with review - see 2nd post
Aug 27, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #424 of 982
Originally Posted by veyrongatti /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you could only choose one which would you choose? 

OK I've decided, GR07 MK2.

I'd miss the FXD80 for it's novel sound, it's like watching something interesting at the Zoo, but the GR07 MK2 is the better IEM for sure, it becomes pretty apparent after a while especially with live recordings, plus it's easier to listen to and clean like soap.

Aug 27, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #425 of 982
The GR07 is very flat hense why it is oh so dry.

I don't find the GR07 dry, I think it's leaning towards wet with the right amplification.

I'd be tempted to call it burn-in, but I think I've just finally fully adjusted to the sound now, and it's improved very nicely with my desktop DAC and amp, more liquid sounding and higher resolution, sweeter, really nice!

I'm respecting this IEM more now even if it seems lacking in a few areas, like not enough velocity and no open-sky highs, no special tone in the mids, not quite naked enough vocals etc.

If you meant dry as in stale or torrid, I still think it's more involving and liquid than say, the Etymotic ER-4, which is very dry sounding in a digital tone sense.

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #426 of 982
I don't find the GR07 dry, I think it's leaning towards wet with the right amplification.

I'd be tempted to call it burn-in, but I think I've just finally fully adjusted to the sound now, and it's improved very nicely with my desktop DAC and amp, more liquid sounding and higher resolution, sweeter, really nice!

I'm respecting this IEM more now even if it seems lacking in a few areas, like not enough velocity and no open-sky highs, no special tone in the mids, not quite naked enough vocals etc.

If you meant dry as in stale or torrid, I still think it's more involving and liquid than say, the Etymotic ER-4, which is very dry sounding in a digital tone sense.

So would you give the highs to the FXD80 and the rest to the GR07?

Aug 28, 2012 at 5:31 AM Post #428 of 982
Quote:

Lol!

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #430 of 982
Quote:
Well it depends on the application, the FXD80 is pretty amazing with action movies, the GR07 much better and more realistic with live recordings.

From a quality perspective I'd say the GR07 is a little higher overall.

I find myself putting the GR07 one solid category over the EPH-100s and FXD80s.  The FXDs just seem to have bombastic bass and treble to my ears, whereas the EPHs lack in the treble and are still rather thick down low, but overall more coherent... both have a pretty cool 3d thing going on.  That said the FXDs likely haven't had a really good burn-in yet, at least not like I've done for the S500s so I should probably try that first before giving up on them.

The GR07 just gets much closer to what I'd call a reference sound.  If they're not fun it's because they're perhaps a bit too precise and don't highlight any part of the sound spectrum, but they're certainly way more fun than the Ety HF2s I have on hand in that the presentation actually comes off as natural.

Aug 28, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #431 of 982
Got some GR07 mkII's on the way. Hope you're happy kiteki lol. This is the first iem I've bought twice...

Aug 28, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #432 of 982
Now this is really strange.

I recently purchased a new player, Cowon C2. (good player check it out) My GR07 react differently using this over say an S9, J3. The sibilance that was present on my S9 is all but gone and dynamics have improved. I was getting similar results using a 2G touch but the overall SQ was poor, though now, using the C2 I'm getting Cowon sound with the earlier effects all mixed together. I was really surprised last night playing tracks I know are known for sibilance and it was simply rolling off. This is using the same Jet Effect EQ settings S9 is on. though it's behaving very differently. It basically sounds the same minus the sibilance with added body to the music.

This has been a sure victory point on my IEM chart for MK2. Powering them ahead, just behind EX600.

Get good sources people, I can't stress it anymore, Your IEM's only as good as what's feeding them.

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #435 of 982

I find myself putting the GR07 one solid category over the EPH-100s and FXD80s.  [/]

Yes it's clear the GR07 MK2 has a flat and reference sound, it's not a very exciting IEM apart from it's balance, tone & speed.

The FXD80 wins over the GR07 MK2 in a few categories such as intimacy and holography / imaging.

Compared to the HA-S500, I think it's clear the FXD80 has a lot less dissonance (close to zero), plus higher detail demasking and less 2D layering.

Compare a lively movie clip on all three, random example underneath.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back