USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous USB audio support for Android
May 21, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #106 of 6,179
  As far as I understand, DSD can be converted to legacy PCM (16/44.1, 24/96, ..., 24/352.8) or DoP (DSD over PCM).
And apparently, UAPP can play DoPFLAC and output a DoP stream.

About DoP:
"Since the Apple OS only allows a PCM path we have to find a way to put DSD audio data into PCM frames that then get sent via the native USB driver." [DoP open standard]
http://dsd-guide.com/dop-open-standard

About Herus & DSD:
"HERUS SPECIFICATIONS
Supported Formats PCM, DXD and DSD64/128   Uses DoP protocol 1.1 over USB for DSD"
http://resonessencelabs.com/herus/

About Onkyo HF Player:
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2013/10/onkyo-hf-player-resonessence-labs-herus-ios-dsd/

Cheers. With the Onkyo I already have that option enabled and with the Herus it plays DoP straight through - i.e. DSD Native. If I replace the Herus with the either Cypherlab DAC-Amp, it'll fall back to PCM even with DoP mode.

As for UAPP, I'm not familiar with DoPFLAC so I'll have to read up more about that next. I'd guess the trial version would work with DoPFLAC too, then I may be able to test UAPP on my Galaxy J -> Invicta which is the only way for me to confirm if it's actually decoding & playing DoPFLAC as DSD native.

Edit: In other words if Onkyo, which is capable of playing DSD Native on some DACs but falls back to PCM conversion the Cypherlabs DAC, I'm wondering if UAPP would be the same on Cypherlabs DAC too.

May 25, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #108 of 6,179
bought UAPP full version, need  good headphones now...
L3000.gif

May 29, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #109 of 6,179
I can report successful experiments of USB audio pro Trial version with the combination:
- Huawei Mediapad S7-301u with android 3.2
- Tianyun Zero DAC

Both MP3 and FLAC were played in good quality

Unfortunately USB audio player has no options to access a NAS by dlna. Only local files can be accessed what limites the use of flac. If dlna/upnp support was there I would consider the payed version.

May 29, 2014 at 7:17 AM Post #110 of 6,179
I managed to just get it going in Oracle VM on PC.  Honestly, it does not really like it. It crashes and stutters.. But when I got it finally to play, the sound is still way superior then any Windows player. 

May 29, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #111 of 6,179
  Unfortunately USB audio player has no options to access a NAS by dlna. Only local files can be accessed what limites the use of flac. If dlna/upnp support was there I would consider the payed version.

The use of a device like a Ravpower Filehub is a workaround for this. You have to select each file individually at the moment, but you can use it to create a wireless Samba connection to an external hard drive and then use UAPP app to play files or output them to a cooperative USB DAC. There have been some posts in the 'Android Phones and USB DACs' thread starting here if you're interested. 

May 29, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #112 of 6,179

The use of a device like a Ravpower Filehub is a workaround for this. You have to select each file individually at the moment, but you can use it to create a wireless Samba connection to an external hard drive and then use UAPP app to play files or output them to a cooperative USB DAC. There have been some posts in the 'Android Phones and USB DACs' thread starting here if you're interested. 

Thanks for your suggestion. But its a pitty you have to invest in a workaround while owning a common of the shelf solution like a NAS.

May 29, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #115 of 6,179
Thanks for your suggestion. But its a pitty you have to invest in a workaround while owning a common of the shelf solution like a NAS.

Reasonable point, but I consider it par for the course for a nascent industry like portable true high-definition audio. Now, if we had the same issues this time in 2015, there will be a serious issue, but I doubt that will be the case. (Or, at least, I baselessly hope that it won't :p ).

May 30, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #116 of 6,179

I use my NAS with mine, no need for any other devices like the Ravpower, but does need another software to access the files and playback is on a per-file basis (I use the DS File app and select UAPP as the playback app). I have a 128GB card in my phone, so even when limited to local playback I don't feel too hard done by, if I simply MUST hear a song elsewhere in my collection then I'm thankful to be able to do that, even if it requires a workaround.

May 30, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #117 of 6,179

I use my NAS with mine, no need for any other devices like the Ravpower, but does need another software to access the files and playback is on a per-file basis (I use the DS File app and select UAPP as the playback app). I have a 128GB card in my phone, so even when limited to local playback I don't feel too hard done by, if I simply MUST hear a song elsewhere in my collection then I'm thankful to be able to do that, even if it requires a workaround.

DS file app is propriety synology NAS. That it works with UAPP is suprising. I can access my NAS with Bubbleupnp and can find local renders but UAPP is not there. In fact UAPP when active blocks other players.

May 30, 2014 at 3:47 AM Post #118 of 6,179

My phone is rooted and I use ES file Explorer to open remote shared drive. For example, I can copy audio and video from my htpc on the phone sdcard . But I can not use UAPP to browse the remote drive.
there may be a solution of mounting the remote hard disk, so that phone applications see it as a local drive.
An example on Nexus 7
Two interesting applications : mount manager and cifsmanager
But I have not managed to run neither one nor the other on my ZTE V965 
redface.gif

(You can correct my english, i need to improve it 
wink.gif
)

May 30, 2014 at 4:18 AM Post #119 of 6,179
Is anyone annoyed that these two apps need to verify a license every time? If you have Sprint, you'd understand the problem... One other person in the reviews left notice of it but no one else seems to notice. I've sure run into the problem several times where the app does not stay open because 1xRTT is too slow for it to verify it's dumb license that does not even need to be part of the app. 

May 30, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #120 of 6,179
DS file app is propriety synology NAS. That it works with UAPP is suprising. I can access my NAS with Bubbleupnp and can find local renders but UAPP is not there. In fact UAPP when active blocks other players.

DS File let's me choose which app to open the file in, I open the file, select UAPP and off I go... DS File is a file browser, not a media player, which is why I can select the playback app. Bubble doesn't give that choice for audio.

Naturally it'd be best if UAPP could do this natively, and I imagine that eventually it will. Folder play and EQ have been in recent updates, which are solid improvements - worth bearing in mind that this is not a large development team. I'd rather slower updates that are well implemented than updates that break stuff (given that I rely on this for using my Dragonfly).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back