USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous USB audio support for Android
Mar 8, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #3,571 of 6,156
Try the Hiby R5 or R6 Pro- they're both MQA certified.
R3 and R5 are, but not R6 Pro. Like the R3 and R5, the R6 Pro will do the first unfold in software, but unlike the R3 and R5, the R6 Pro will not do any remaining unfolds (which is done in MQA certified hardware). This was the subject of some considerable discussion on the R6 Pro thread.

Mar 9, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #3,573 of 6,156
I have just added HiRes support for the M11 PRO including DSD. MQA decoding and rendering is likely being done inside the FiiO Music app, so you will 'only' get MQA decoding with UAPP when you have done the MQA in-app purchase.

If you like to test this version on the M11, M11 PRO or M15, please send an email to info AT extreamsd.com

Furthermore, I just received an audio config log of a Hiby R5 which seems to have a direct mode. I was under the impression that it didn't. Perhaps an (OS) update did that. The Android version for this config file is 8.1. If you'd like to test, please also contact me by email (please don't use the forum messaging system).

Another note (I seem to have missed a lot of posts here, I usually get an email if someone posts, so apologies for not having replied), but please please please note that just turning on the Direct mode will not always magically make it play in Direct mode. I wish it was that easy. You'd also need the correct flags and format and sometimes (for the FiiO M series for example) also some additional magic. There is no way for the app to know in which sample rate and mode the audio system will actually play. So you can only be relatively sure about it if you received the message that your internal HiRes DAC was detected (which is based on a long list of device models that the app keeps track of).

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #3,574 of 6,156
Another note (I seem to have missed a lot of posts here, I usually get an email if someone posts, so apologies for not having replied), but please please please note that just turning on the Direct mode will not always magically make it play in Direct mode. I wish it was that easy. You'd also need the correct flags and format and sometimes (for the FiiO M series for example) also some additional magic. There is no way for the app to know in which sample rate and mode the audio system will actually play. So you can only be relatively sure about it if you received the message that your internal HiRes DAC was detected (which is based on a long list of device models that the app keeps track of).

Thanks for the update, Davy.
As far as the Sony Android-based DAPs go, am I correct in assuming there's no support for hi-res/MQA in UAPP? It seems like these devices are particularly tricky and don't play well with other software

Mar 9, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #3,575 of 6,156
Thanks for the update, Davy.
As far as the Sony Android-based DAPs go, am I correct in assuming there's no support for hi-res/MQA in UAPP? It seems like these devices are particularly tricky and don't play well with other software

They do not show a Hires mode in the config and seem to use the offload mode exclusively, meaning it just passes the file name to the internals of the audio system where it gets decoded and played. There would be no quality difference in doing this (since UAPP would just pass the same file names).

Mar 9, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #3,576 of 6,156
I have just added HiRes support for the M11 PRO including DSD. MQA decoding and rendering is likely being done inside the FiiO Music app, so you will 'only' get MQA decoding with UAPP when you have done the MQA in-app purchase.

If you like to test this version on the M11, M11 PRO or M15, please send an email to info AT extreamsd.com

Furthermore, I just received an audio config log of a Hiby R5 which seems to have a direct mode. I was under the impression that it didn't. Perhaps an (OS) update did that. The Android version for this config file is 8.1. If you'd like to test, please also contact me by email (please don't use the forum messaging system).

if the HiRes mode now works with the M11 - this app will iMHO take the M11 a notch higher .... I love the user interface of UAPP and i feel that it is very user friendly compared to other apps like Neutron and poweramp .... so i have sent an e-mail requesting this new version to try in my M11 - and recent developments on this front are actually making me now want to upgrade to an M15 ie the only reason i wasn't in a hurry to do that initially was because there was no way in the past to get UAPP installed on it

thanks very much for this Davy .... you do seem to put in a lot of hard work into maintaining the app to a decent standard and i for one appreciate this because i can imagine the effort that goes into this - it has also been done a lot quicker than i expected and i have to commend you for the effort .... thank you for making our devices more enjoyable to use :thumbsup:

i also realized that i haven't yet purchased the MQA decoder that probably had a lot to do with my screenshot above - but since i don't use tidal yet i am going to wait on this until i do start using tidal but having the HiRes direct driver working on the version installed into the M11/M15 series is probably going to make for a much better user experience for users of the app so thank you very much for this .... i am still going to reccommend to all my friends who have android devices to use this app for music since i still personally haven't found an easier to use app with a user interface so suited to my personal preferences yet

Mar 9, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #3,577 of 6,156
if the HiRes mode now works with the M11 - this app will iMHO take the M11 a notch higher .... I love the user interface of UAPP and i feel that it is very user friendly compared to other apps like Neutron and poweramp .... so i have sent an e-mail requesting this new version to try in my M11 - and recent developments on this front are actually making me now want to upgrade to an M15 ie the only reason i wasn't in a hurry to do that initially was because there was no way in the past to get UAPP installed on it

thanks very much for this Davy .... you do seem to put in a lot of hard work into maintaining the app to a decent standard and i for one appreciate this because i can imagine the effort that goes into this - it has also been done a lot quicker than i expected and i have to commend you for the effort .... thank you for making our devices more enjoyable to use :thumbsup:

i also realized that i haven't yet purchased the MQA decoder that probably had a lot to do with my screenshot above - but since i don't use tidal yet i am going to wait on this until i do start using tidal but having the HiRes direct driver working on the version installed into the M11/M15 series is probably going to make for a much better user experience for users of the app so thank you very much for this .... i am still going to reccommend to all my friends who have android devices to use this app for music since i still personally haven't found an easier to use app with a user interface so suited to my personal preferences yet

Many thanks for your nice comments! Enjoy!

Mar 9, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #3,578 of 6,156
Many thanks for your nice comments! Enjoy!

just want to indeed confirm that it is working perfectly for both PCM and also DSD ..... my image host is down for maintenance at the moment - will post some screenshots of everything working later

this is now shaping up to allow me to enjoy my M11 much more .... thank you very much Davy this has just made my day :thumbsup:

EDIT : apologies to everyone else for sounding like such a UAPP fanboy .... but i am indeed unashamedly so, because to me it is the best app for music playback on android currently

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #3,583 of 6,156
You can get a link by email
Thanks for the quick reply, all good now, sound from M15 with audeze lcd2f is beautiful.
Screenshot_20200309-182317.png

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #3,584 of 6,156
Beautiful....

Don't temp me! :grimacing:

Mar 9, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #3,585 of 6,156
MQA decoding and rendering is likely being done inside the FiiO Music app, so you will 'only' get MQA decoding with UAPP when you have done the MQA in-app purchase.

Actually, MQA unfolding (the one that should be supported by other apps as well) is not yet working on the M11/Pro/M15, I think I saw them mentioning that they are working on it and it might be released during the next month or something.

Thanks for working on the app for M11 Pro!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back