USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous USB audio support for Android
Jun 27, 2021 at 1:42 AM Post #4,906 of 6,195
1. Apple is not likely to let anyone use their interface. 2. Apple devices don't do any audio resampling like Android does, so for Apple to do anything for Android users is highly unlikely. 3. Apple is Apple - doesn't let anything get out of their control. Tested Apple lossless (my brother has an iPhone 12 Pro Max) and it really does sound better than Tidal.

There is support for Apple Lossless on Android - https://appleinsider.com/articles/2...upport-lossless-but-not-dolby-atmos-at-launch
I wonder whether Apple makes their API available to be used in other software apps?
If they do, but charges a license fee to use it, then maybe Davey could make it a paid add-on in UAPP, like the MQA decoder.

Jun 28, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #4,907 of 6,195
1. Apple is not likely to let anyone use their interface. 2. Apple devices don't do any audio resampling like Android does, so for Apple to do anything for Android users is highly unlikely. 3. Apple is Apple - doesn't let anything get out of their control. Tested Apple lossless (my brother has an iPhone 12 Pro Max) and it really does sound better than Tidal.
Did you read the contents of the link? Apple are allowing people to build apps that you can sign in to Apple Music with and play back music. It would definitely be great if UAPP built this in I reckon.

Jun 28, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #4,908 of 6,195
Did you read the contents of the link? Apple are allowing people to build apps that you can sign in to Apple Music with and play back music. It would definitely be great if UAPP built this in I reckon.
Really hoping this will force others to do the same.

Jun 28, 2021 at 9:47 PM Post #4,909 of 6,195
I use the Toneboosters parametric EQ. The only display of the entered parameters like Q and gain for each of the 6 filters seems to be the main EQ graphic display, which only shows a rounded off value. For example, like Q = 0.73 on the display, instead of the full entered value which was 0.725. Careful listening shows there is a sonic difference between these two values, 0.730 and 0.725.

Is there any way of pulling up for display the actual value stored for that filter parameter?

Jun 29, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #4,910 of 6,195
Does anybody know of any developments with UAPP to offer a remote control capability? It would be great to be able to control the app remotely for music playback - even basic functionality like previous track, pause and next track would be great.

Jun 29, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #4,911 of 6,195
I use Teamviewer to control UAPP. Not that snappy but it works.

Use this post as guide.

11497920.png

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #4,912 of 6,195
hi all, just installed this on a Shanling M3X. when seeking within a track (16bit FLAC) is it normal behavior for the progress bar to skip to the end before seeking to the correct spot? it will also play a fraction of a second of audio before playing the correct timestamp so its a bit jarring. i tried using different buffer sizes (400 and 600ms) but the issue persists. thanks

Jul 1, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #4,913 of 6,195
Yes!

In UAPP, start UPnP Renderer, which will make it a UPnP renderer and library.

Then on your iOS device, install mConnect (or other UPnP control point). It should see the UAPP UPnP Renderer and let you choose it as destination. You can then play music EITHER stored locally on the mConnect device OR streamed from Tidal or Qobuz, directly on the UAPP device. You log into Tidal/Qobuz in mConnect and it pulls the stream from the streaming service and passes it to the UAPP UPnP renderer.

You can also play files stored on the UAPP device by accessing the UAPP Library in mConnect, in which case UAPP picks up that it's playing a local file and avoids receiving it over the network.

I don't know about iOS, but on Android there are many UPnP control point apps, of which BubbleUPnP is the most famous and the most well developed. It has a slightly unwieldy UI, because it has SO MUCH functionality. But it can be trimmed down to exactly what you need. It's a very powerful app.

But for streaming from Tidal, mConnect has the advantage of full MQA support, whereas BubbleUPnP only supports the HiFi layer (max 16/44). Any HiRes Master tracks are down-sampled and truncated to 16/44 by Tidal, the same as if you select HiFi Quality in the Tidal app.

Interestingly, that still works for 16/44 MQA files, although they won't have any origami to unfold. Other MQA tracks with 44KHz base sample rate (such as the 2L ones) will be truncated to 16-bit, but not re-sampled, and STILL authenticate on an MQA DAC. The article linked below describes how that is possible. Of course much information is still lost in that truncation.

https://bobtalks.co.uk/blog/science-mqa/16b-mqa-what-is-it/#

For users who don't care about MQA, I recommend BubbleUPnP over mConnect. In addition to 50X as many features, Bubble has a very responsive Dev, whereas mConnect have not responded to anything I wrote, despite the fact that I bought their app.
I'd just like to highlight this post and give a special thanks to @Dannemand. I revisited this post today and am able to effectively turn my DAP into a TIDAL Connect endpoint to play TIDAL through. Yes, I know it's not the same as TIDAL Connect, but it works in a similar way. I can finally remote control my Android DAP and play TIDAL through it using UAPP and it works for TIDAL Masters too!

Jul 1, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #4,914 of 6,195
Anyone else have this experience? Occasionally when playing MQA tracks in Tidal using the UAPP MQA plug-in, the player will randomly move the tracks forward and show them still playing but the sound will be muted? Plus, in MQA, it will sometimes put a track in super-slo-mo which can be pretty comical! This happens in both my FiiO X5III (stuck at v2.31.0 due to Android 5.1 limitation) and my Samsung A11 with Android 11 and latest UAPP.

Jul 1, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #4,915 of 6,195
If I have purchased MQA playback for UAPP and using a DAC which can unfold MQA (ifi DSD diablo) do I need to turn of MQA unfolding by UAPP or does this happen automatically, so that MQA unfolding is performed by the DAC?
Thx.

Jul 1, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #4,916 of 6,195
https://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/mqa

"When a DAC is detected that implements an MQA decoder (for example, the Meridian Explorer 2 or the DAC inside certain LG models), the MQA decoder inside USB Audio Player PRO is deactivated and MQA decoding is performed by the hardware. No green or blue led will be displayed in the app in this situation."

Jul 1, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #4,918 of 6,195
https://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/mqa

"When a DAC is detected that implements an MQA decoder (for example, the Meridian Explorer 2 or the DAC inside certain LG models), the MQA decoder inside USB Audio Player PRO is deactivated and MQA decoding is performed by the hardware. No green or blue led will be displayed in the app in this situation."
Thanks.
In this case I should See with my Diablo a blue LED, but get only a magenta LED (on the Diablo), which indicates that the Diablo is only a renderer and not a full decoder (at least that is what they told me in the Diablo thread).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back