Upgrading Amp, need help.
Jun 8, 2012 at 11:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

buddy39914

New Head-Fier
I was considering upgrading my HD650's for some HD700's LCD-2's or quite possible HD800's. But decided it's not time yet. However I am now considering upgrading my Amplifier/DAC. I currently have the Headroom Desktop Amp/DAC. Any suggestions to a good/better AMP/DAC or Amp and DAC? 

Don't know if it's the headphones or the amp, but I'd like my music to sound as natural and as awesome as possible.

Jun 9, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #4 of 25
The Headroom stuff is really good. If you want a different amp for the sake of a different amp, go the tube route. I would recommend looking into the Schiit Valhalla or perhaps a used Trafomatic Experience Head One.

Jun 12, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #5 of 25
Ok, well, for the sake of not starting a new thread, I'll post here.

I have decided that I'm going to upgrade to HD800s and I need an Amplifier/DAC or an Amplifier and a DAC.

Any suggestions? 

I mainly listen to Pink Floyd and such. Led Zep, Elton John, Dire Straits, etc. included.

So I want my music to sound as good as possible.

Jun 12, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #6 of 25
Violectric V100 or V200 depending on your budget. Their synergy with the HD800 is legendary. It's also said the HD800s were voiced using the Violectric amps. And, some high ranking Sennheiser suit loves the V100.

If you want to go the tube route, perhaps a Woo 2, Woo 22, or Trafomatic Head One.

Ok, well, for the sake of not starting a new thread, I'll post here.

I have decided that I'm going to upgrade to HD800s and I need an Amplifier/DAC or an Amplifier and a DAC.

Any suggestions? 

I mainly listen to Pink Floyd and such. Led Zep, Elton John, Dire Straits, etc. included.

So I want my music to sound as good as possible.

Jun 13, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #11 of 25
Electrostats sound completely different than dynamics, and you also need a different type amp.  The way I look at it is similar to cameras, like Nikon vs. Canon.  Once you buy into a platform, it's almost like being married.  You can get divorced and start over, but it's very expensive.  So, from the very beginning, decide if you want to go dynamic or electrostat.  It is very expensive to maintain both.  Plus, they have different sound signatures, so pick the one that fits your musical preferences best.

Jun 13, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #13 of 25
Ok say I decide to buy HD800s with a WA2 amp. Can i use my headroom desktop amp/dac as a DAC for my WA2 amp? If not what would be an affordable option for a DAC for my amp.

Ok, what about this final setup?

HD800 + WA2 amp + Schiit Bifrost DAC
?

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #15 of 25
Hate to post four times in a row and bump, but can anybody help? Don't want to start a new thread.

OK, so I bought the HD800's and have them now. I am using them meanwhile with my Headroom Desktop Amp/DAC, but I still want to upgrade.

WA2 + Bifrost + HD800

WA6SE + Bifrost + HD800

WA6 + Bifrost + HD800

Valhalla + Bifrost + HD800

Best, or any other suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back