Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call)
Sep 21, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #1,141 of 2,311
Quote:

You use Ultrasones for mixing? 
blink.gif
How's that working for ya?

It's working good. Nobody (?) will be finalising mixes or masters on phones, but for a check they're doing their job. It's all about knowing your tools.

r,
j,

Sep 21, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #1,142 of 2,311
hey I was curious about getting ultrasone 550s or 750s guys I could use some help. I currently have a titanium HD sound card and ATH ad700's.

I really need more bass in my listening though, the ad700s really lack and thump or punch in terms of bass IMO. Can a TiHD power ultrasone 550s/750s fine? and if so which would be better?

Also is either going to block out outside noise better? noise cancellation is somewhat important to me, as in if the 750s are better for just purely that I would get them even though the price diff.
I listen to progressive house, house, trance, dnb, dubstep mainly but I also enjoy acoustic, some post hardcore too. I'd prefer best EDM performance thanks guys.

Sep 21, 2012 at 7:03 AM Post #1,143 of 2,311
Quote:
Blue Jeans Cable makes really nice stuff and you can decide how long you want it to be:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/audio/MSA1.htm

Use the first table and pick the kind of ends you need. 

Yikes! $47 for a 10ft 1/8" M-F cable. Monoprice has one for $3. I have used their cables many times before with good results.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021813&p_id=5588&seq=1&format=2

I just measured, and I was off anyway. It's 10ft from the base of my entertainment center to the couch. So add on another 3ft from the floor to my AVR and I'll need a 15ft ext. Will I lose any quality going over that distance?

Sep 21, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #1,144 of 2,311
Quote:
Yikes! $47 for a 10ft 1/8" M-F cable. Monoprice has one for $3. I have used their cables many times before with good results.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021813&p_id=5588&seq=1&format=2

I just measured, and I was off anyway. It's 10ft from the base of my entertainment center to the couch. So add on another 3ft from the floor to my AVR and I'll need a 15ft ext. Will I lose any quality going over that distance?

Monoprice is good if you are looking for a cheap option (although my experience with Monoprice has been very mixed in terms of their product reliability and the company itself). Blue Jeans Cable is a whole different class of build quality and materials and are "good" choices for people looking to step up to lower level AudioQuest, Cardas, etc., but looking for a better value. My headphone extension has heavy duty metal barrel connectors on the end with the spring sheathing to protect and support where the end of the cable goes into the connector, and the cable itself is much thicker than the extender that came with my Ultrasone 780s. Looks much more like commercial grade construction than budget consumer grade. 

Sep 21, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #1,145 of 2,311
Quote:
My headphone extension has heavy duty metal barrel connectors on the end with the spring sheathing to protect and support where the end of the cable goes into the connector, and the cable itself is much thicker than the extender that came with my Ultrasone 780s.

Is this really necessary for a headphone cable? Not that I'm disagreeing that the cable is worth the price, but I think a standard cable under $10 would work just fine.

Sep 21, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #1,146 of 2,311
Quote:

Is this really necessary for a headphone cable? Not that I'm disagreeing that the cable is worth the price, but I think a standard cable under $10 would work just fine.

Are re-cabling headphones with $150 cables necessary? It's definitely a decision someone has to make for themselves.

I'm still on the fence about whether or not better cables improve audio quality, even though sometimes I believe I hear a difference when stepping up from budget cables to the next level. But at the same time, I've had numerous problems with build quality and durability of budget cables. So I often like to buy with the idea of being able to use the cables for ten or fifteen years. To me, it's a difference between "fine for now" or "fine for the long term." 

Sep 21, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #1,147 of 2,311
You also have to take into consideration that recabling your headphones can tweak your cans to suit your taste. Also I think it depends how far into the hobby you want to progress. It's my opinion that almost all headphones will benefit from a new cable. The mistake some make I believe is buying these very low end cables and thinking there is gonna be a huge quality improvement, when in all actuality you're putting worse cables on than your stock ones.

If your headphone cable breaks and you're short of cash, then by all means by a cheap pair to get you through.

Do you really think that putting a $6 cable on your $100 headphones will improve them?

Sep 21, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #1,148 of 2,311
I got the idea that Stryker412 was just trying to get an extension cable, not improve the sound quality of the headphones. Any decent quality cable would certainly not hurt the sound quality.

Sep 22, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #1,149 of 2,311

$50, wow.

I meant this as the absolute most expensive:
http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Extension-Cable-4-57m-Headphone/dp/B0006DPNNK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348296883&sr=8-1&keywords=grado+extension+cable

Ultrasone's OEM cable is about half that, and Hosa will probably get you out the door for $8 (and they have a lifetime warranty).

And no you shouldn't lose any quality if the cable is shielded - the Grado and Hosa cables are; I don't know if the Ultrasone ones are.

Sep 22, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #1,150 of 2,311
Well it turns out I don't need the extension now. I ordered a pair of the Ultrasone 780s to compare with the 750s. I have to say that I prefer the bass that comes with the 780s and to be honest I didn't notice any surround effect with either set connected to my AVR. I do like the carrying case and the pads on the 750s though.

Now I'm obviously new to the world of headphones but I thought closed meant that those on the outside would not be able to hear what you are listening to? I had my wife try on the headphones and I could clearly hear the music coming from them. Obviously not as much as earbuds or Beats but still I could hear them clearly.

Sep 22, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #1,151 of 2,311
Well it turns out I don't need the extension now. I ordered a pair of the Ultrasone 780s to compare with the 750s. I have to say that I prefer the bass that comes with the 780s and to be honest I didn't notice any surround effect with either set connected to my AVR. I do like the carrying case and the pads on the 750s though.

Now I'm obviously new to the world of headphones but I thought closed meant that those on the outside would not be able to hear what you are listening to? I had my wife try on the headphones and I could clearly hear the music coming from them. Obviously not as much as earbuds or Beats but still I could hear them clearly.

Closed are more isolating but if you don't want anyone to hear you then you need to look into noise canceling

Sep 22, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #1,152 of 2,311
Closed means they will be better than open, most of the case.

Ultrasones have average-decent noise isolation both from the internally and externally. Not a library headphone, but definitely ok for walking down the street etc.

Sep 22, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #1,153 of 2,311
Different headphones have different levels of isolation. For the most part closed headphones shouldn't be a problem unless you're right next the person using them.

Sep 22, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #1,154 of 2,311
Hi All,

New Ultrasone Owner here :wink:

I received my HFI-2400 last wednesday and I'm Happy. I live in  France ( Dijon Burgundy) so  my english is not perfect . I hope to be "understandable" nevertheless . 

I would thank you for all posts and reviews about Ultrasones wihich help me to make my choice ( I think I read all posts about Ultrasone Headphones
biggrin.gif
). I finally choosed HFI-2400 because it costs here in France less than pro750 or pro900 so ( 195 Euros for HFI 2400 , 300 for pro 750 and 395 for pro 900 )... In order to discover "good" headphones i was not ready to spend too much Money . I could'nt wating to test many models then I bought these Ultrasones can without earing any other ones. Risky but When we have no patience ...

Then, coming from Koss sporta pro ( I really love my porta pro ) and UR 40 , Ultrasone HFI-2400 sounds like honey to my ear. Very clear and deep sound IMO but reveals all defaults of Music : Good bye low/mid bitrate MP3s and welcome FLAC :wink: . I enjoy my Ultrasones directly from PC ( HP 2560p Ubuntu powered)  while waiting a coming soon Fiio E17 whiche I discover here.

The bad news is if I have now a good tool to enjoy my music, I'm curious about all other headphones I read about ... Head-fi goo companion for music lover but worse ennemy for music lover's wallet .

Sep 22, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #1,155 of 2,311
Hi All,

New Ultrasone Owner here :wink:

I received my HFI-2400 last wednesday and I'm Happy. I live in  France ( Dijon Burgundy) so  my english is not perfect . I hope to be "understandable" nevertheless . 

I would thank you for all posts and reviews about Ultrasones wihich help me to make my choice ( I think I read all posts about Ultrasone Headphones :D ). I finally choosed HFI-2400 because it costs here in France less than pro750 or pro900 so ( 195 Euros for HFI 2400 , 300 for pro 750 and 395 for pro 900 )... In order to discover "good" headphones i was not ready to spend too much Money . I could'nt wating to test many models then I bought these Ultrasones can without earing any other ones. Risky but When we have no patience ...

Then, coming from Koss sporta pro ( I really love my porta pro ) and UR 40 , Ultrasone HFI-2400 sounds like honey to my ear. Very clear and deep sound IMO but reveals all defaults of Music : Good bye low/mid bitrate MP3s and welcome FLAC :wink: . I enjoy my Ultrasones directly from PC ( HP 2560p Ubuntu powered)  while waiting a coming soon Fiio E17 whiche I discover here.

The bad news is if I have now a good tool to enjoy my music, I'm curious about all other headphones I read about ... Head-fi goo companion for music lover but worse ennemy for music lover's wallet .

Without a doubt my favorite pair of headphones are my pro 2900s. They are all around perfect. In my opinion they are the best you can find under $1000. Every other headphone I have I compare to them. They are very well built and feel like they can take a beating. You can't go wrong for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back