Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call)
Sep 18, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #1,127 of 2,310
okay, but the hfi 2400 actually have 94 dB/mW. Now how can I try it in montreal. There are close to no good audio shops here! lol

So I was remembering wrong (I was "seeing" their product matrix in my head, and only the PRO900 and PRO2900 stuck out to me as having 2 digit sensitivity values). :xf_eek: Quick check of the Ultrasone website and you are 100% right. So the PRO900 will be easier to drive overall - more sensitive and lower Z. However, if you look at Tyll's values - you will see the PRO900 being "less sensitive" - look at the MR for an explanation though. :)

By "try" I meant go ahead and purchase them + test it with your equipment. I tend to dislike in-store auditions FWIW. :xf_eek:

Funny. Essence ST not good to drive the pro900s? Not true! Before I had the Essence ST, now I got the Asgard + Bifrost and I have to say the improvement over the Essence ST is just minimal!
So the 900s will go fine with the Essence ST, however the damping Ohm thing is not what it should be (I dont understand these terms, so cant say anything about it).

PS: my source is always 320kbps/44.1kHz so this might have something to do with it!

The Essence ST is absolutely enough to drive Pro 900, although I have to switch to higher gain.

I agree with these two based on the PRO2900. However I will add that if we're talking about music with very high DNR, most headphones/speakers need relatively higher gain applied (but not necessarily more power) to reach a similar output level (which may be impossible for some equipment - so really it's hard to say cut and dry yes or no). I wouldn't bother worrying about the "damping Ohm thing" (because it doesn't matter as much as people believe it does), but if you want some more information try these out:
http://www.butleraudio.com/damping1.php (note that Butler Audio is not the author of this piece - George Augsperger is, they were just kind enough to make a pretty page and republish it)
http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/tipstricks.htm
http://en.goldenears.net/index.php?mid=KB_Columns&document_srl=1389
http://sound.westhost.com/impedanc.htm#damp

You can find measured impedance graphs for most (but not all) modern Ultrasones on the InnerFidelity measurements page. I don't think IF has started measuring amps yet, but GE has data for a few amps up, and some manufacturers are upfront about their output specs (either published online or if you e-mail them).

There certainly can be differences, but there's no "wrong answer" to this question, is basically the point. :) Like the other poster said - everyone is different. :beerchug:

But to the basic question: will they plug in and work? yes they absolutely should. Will they satisfy everyone? Perhaps, perhaps not.

Sep 18, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #1,128 of 2,310
I had the PRO 550...pretty sweet after burn in...Then Amazon must have accidentally priced the PRO 750 @ $184...so I sold the 550...then bought the 750.  I can't really tell too much difference...both are great and easy to adjust from my Sony mp3.

Sep 18, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #1,129 of 2,310
Code:
I was looking for a pair of closed cans,for traveling and such, and of course I had to go with Ultrasone. Can anyone tell me what to expect from the signature pros.
From everything I've read they are the best closed headphones out there.

Sep 18, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #1,130 of 2,310
Thanks guys for all the help! I will try the pro 750 and 900 this week. It's just amazing how 5 years ago I thought 30 dollar headphones were expensive... Now look what I'm probably going to be buying lol!

Sep 19, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #1,131 of 2,310
Code:
I was looking for a pair of closed cans,for traveling and such, and of course I had to go with Ultrasone. Can anyone tell me what to expect from the signature pros.
From everything I've read they are the best closed headphones out there.

Best is highly subjective - there is no absolute best. Especially if we're talking about Ultrasone (the only brand to have a scientifically valid and published survey done that concludes their headphones are statistically more polarizing than other brands of headphones). If you like the Signature Pro's sound, then they are best for you; if not, they are likely to disappoint.

My advice is to try some different headphones out - you will not get a straight answer that just ranks everything like Consumer Reports and tells you exactly what to buy and guarantees success. That much I can assure you of.

Thanks guys for all the help! I will try the pro 750 and 900 this week. It's just amazing how 5 years ago I thought 30 dollar headphones were expensive... Now look what I'm probably going to be buying lol!

The PRO900 are around $330 on Amazon right now - might be worth grabbing them before the price rebounds. :xf_eek:

Sep 19, 2012 at 3:58 AM Post #1,132 of 2,310
Three sets in use:

Pro-2500 and Pro-750 for studio use (mixing and mastering), HFI-700 for ordinary use, when travelling etc. (The 700s are pretty banged up after four years of heavy use, gaffa saves the day...) The studio phones are fed from a Mytek 8x192, the 700s from whatever I'm bringing along, phone, laptop...

r,
j,

Sep 19, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #1,133 of 2,310
Best is highly subjective - there is no absolute best. Especially if we're talking about Ultrasone (the only brand to have a scientifically valid and published survey done that concludes their headphones are statistically more polarizing than other brands of headphones). If you like the Signature Pro's sound, then they are best for you; if not, they are likely to disappoint.
My advice is to try some different headphones out - you will not get a straight answer that just ranks everything like Consumer Reports and tells you exactly what to buy and guarantees success. That much I can assure you of.
The PRO900 are around $330 on Amazon right now - might be worth grabbing them before the price rebounds. :xf_eek:

Ok will do

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #1,134 of 2,310
Quote:
Three sets in use:

Pro-2500 and Pro-750 for studio use (mixing and mastering), HFI-700 for ordinary use, when travelling etc. (The 700s are pretty banged up after four years of heavy use, gaffa saves the day...) The studio phones are fed from a Mytek 8x192, the 700s from whatever I'm bringing along, phone, laptop...

r,
j,

You use Ultrasones for mixing? 
blink.gif
How's that working for ya?

Sep 20, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #1,137 of 2,310
I used my HFI-580 for mixing once a while back; never again. The bass was just awful sounding from any other speakers.

Sep 20, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #1,139 of 2,310
I got my 750s last night! I need to further extend the cord to my AVR, can anyone recommend a good extension cable that won't impact quality or will any 1/4" do?

Generally any will do, but to ease your search, look at the extensions from Grado or Hosa. Oh yeah and Ultrasone actually sells extension cables too:
http://ultrasone.com/stores/us/Cable/#17 (white and black)

Sep 20, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #1,140 of 2,310

Users who are viewing this thread

Back