Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call)
Sep 12, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #1,082 of 2,311
Quote:

Sounds like lossless files are for people that want to hear EVEEERRYYTHING

They sure are! 
biggrin.gif
Although personally, I don't think that lossless reveals any new details--it just makes things clearer. A LITTLE clearer at best, mostly in acoustic drum kits. Other than that I couldn't care less if I'm listening to 320 or FLAC.

Sep 12, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #1,083 of 2,311
Hi ultrasone fans. I would like to ask you a couple of questions before I decide to buy my first set of closed cans: what's the deal with the safer hearing and ule technologies that ultrasone claims they have? Are they real? How safer are they in the real world or if compared with other headphones like Grados or Sennheisers? Or should I ask how unsafe are other headphones? Are there any independent studies that support what Ultrasone assures? Links? Thank you!

Sep 12, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #1,084 of 2,311
Quote:
Hi ultrasone fans. I would like to ask you a couple of questions before I decide to buy my first set of closed cans: what's the deal with the safer hearing and ule technologies that ultrasone claims they have? Are they real? How safer are they in the real world or if compared with other headphones like Grados or Sennheisers? Or should I ask how unsafe are other headphones? Are there any independent studies that support what Ultrasone assures? Links? Thank you!

Don't worry about "safety". Unless you're blasting your other headphones as loud as they can possibly go, these aren't going to be much safer. No headphone is unsafe as long as you listen at a responsible volume level. That said, yes, Ultrasones do give the illusion of being louder than they really are.

Sep 12, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #1,086 of 2,311
Quote:

That said, yes, Ultrasones do give the illusion of being louder than they really are.

Is there test data to confirm this? The only way to know for sure that something gives "the illusion of being louder" is to measure it. Otherwise, if it sounds as loud then it might simply be as loud. (lol)

Sep 12, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #1,087 of 2,311
Quote:

Is there test data to confirm this? The only way to know for sure that something gives "the illusion of being louder" is to measure it. Otherwise, if it sounds as loud then it might simply be as loud. (lol)

Yeah, I saw some tests done a while back. Not sure where they are now. I can't imagine it would be a significant difference, though.

Sep 12, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #1,088 of 2,311
Quote:

Don't worry about "safety". Unless you're blasting your other headphones as loud as they can possibly go, these aren't going to be much safer. No headphone is unsafe as long as you listen at a responsible volume level. That said, yes, Ultrasones do give the illusion of being louder than they really are.

I believe by "safe" they aren't referring to the volume at all but micro particles of radiation. When ultrasone claims they provide 98% shielding they are referring to that.  Although I haven't seen any concrete evidence that it can cause health problems it does exist. Ever heard the old saying about holding your phone up to your ear? Same concept.

Sep 12, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #1,091 of 2,311
Quote:
About to make my first Ultrasone purchase. I'm not sure between the 550, 750 or 780s for movies/gaming. Can anyone recommend a pair?

Have you already ruled out open backed headphones? I would much rather have that than closed 'phones for movies and gaming.

Sep 12, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #1,092 of 2,311
Quote:

Yeah, I saw some tests done a while back. Not sure where they are now. I can't imagine it would be a significant difference, though.

Sorry. I'm always cautious about anything audio manufacturers claim without verification. The industry is notorious for being less than truthful. For instance, just today I was looking up the Definitive Technology SM 350 speaker monitors, which they claim has a frequency response of 26Hz - 30kHz. But they fail to tell you that at 26Hz, it's over -85db down, rock bottom
eek.gif
 LMAO

Sep 12, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #1,093 of 2,311
Quote:

They sure are! 
biggrin.gif
Although personally, I don't think that lossless reveals any new details--it just makes things clearer. A LITTLE clearer at best, mostly in acoustic drum kits. Other than that I couldn't care less if I'm listening to 320 or FLAC.

lol in that case, I think I'm happy with 256, since I can't tell much of a difference between that and 320, depending on the song of course.  Now all I gotta do is fix my distortion problem (aka buy an amp) and I'll be happy.

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #1,094 of 2,311
Quote:

Sorry. I'm always cautious about anything audio manufacturers claim without verification. The industry is notorious for being less than truthful. For instance, just today I was looking up the Definitive Technology SM 350 speaker monitors, which they claim has a frequency response of 26Hz - 30kHz. But they fail to tell you that at 26Hz, it's over -85db down, rock bottom
eek.gif
 LMAO

That's understandable; it really is. Like, for example, the entire premium cable market. 
tongue.gif

Quote:

lol in that case, I think I'm happy with 256, since I can't tell much of a difference between that and 320, depending on the song of course.  Now all I gotta do is fix my distortion problem (aka buy an amp) and I'll be happy.

Sounds like a plan. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back