Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call)
Sep 10, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #1,066 of 2,311
Quote:

BEWARE!!!! This is potentially an extremely expensive hobby but one of the most satisfying. People will not understand your excitement and passion.
That being said, if you're just gonna stay with the dj1s then get the FiiO. In my opinion though I'd go with a better more versatile amp/DAC because if you have the bug then you're gonna be upgrading and tweaking everything.
It's not about how much you spent on this or that. In my opinion it's about the attention to detail and the research and bringing it all together to create something unique to you and for you.
Don't forget to start converting all your music to an uncompressed version.

I don't even know where to buy Electronic in uncompressed versions.  Only ONE label I listen to does that, Monstercat, and they offer 320 mp3's, ALAC, and FLAC.  Really if I could find a headphone that's more clear than the DJ1's but still pack a punch, I would never upgrade.

Sep 10, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #1,067 of 2,311
Quote:

I don't even know where to buy Electronic in uncompressed versions.  Only ONE label I listen to does that, Monstercat, and they offer 320 mp3's, ALAC, and FLAC.  Really if I could find a headphone that's more clear than the DJ1's but still pack a punch, I would never upgrade.

Most people believe all lossless is good, whether it's wav, alac, or flaq. I think you'll be fine. If you want another source for buying EDM, check out Beatport. Once you put an item in your cart, you can upgrade it to wav. 

Sep 11, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #1,068 of 2,311
Quote:

Most people believe all lossless is good, whether it's wav, alac, or flaq. I think you'll be fine. If you want another source for buying EDM, check out Beatport. Once you put an item in your cart, you can upgrade it to wav. 

I wish they weren't so damn expensive, though :frowning2:  & someone told me that I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a 320bit-rate MP3 and a lossless file......true?  Or are they just pulling my leg?

Sep 11, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #1,071 of 2,311
just use mp3 files, but not 128 kbps files since it is really noticeable when compared to at least a 192kbps mp3 file

Sep 11, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #1,072 of 2,311
Quote:

So what's the point on paying extra for lossless files if I'm playing Electronic music (which I hear isn't that well-recorded anyway) from an iPod?

You may be right, and you can decide for yourself. Take a few songs that you have lossless files for and convert them to various mp3s. Do some listening comparisons and decide if the difference is worthwhile. Even though I prefer lossless, I think 320K and VBR V0 mp3 files are "good enough." But that's a personal choice. 

Sep 11, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #1,073 of 2,311
Hey all real quick question. I think I'm about to buy my first set of Ultrasones for gaming/movies. What is the difference between the 550, 750, and 780s?

Also for those that may game with these, how is the surround?

Sep 11, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #1,074 of 2,311
Quote:

I wish they weren't so damn expensive, though :frowning2:  & someone told me that I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a 320bit-rate MP3 and a lossless file......true?  Or are they just pulling my leg?

Most of the time, no, you can't tell. Occasionally there will be a small improvement but that's it. Do consider that anyone who says there's a big difference might have much more expensive rig than you. The DJ1's are great, but they don't compare to $1000+ headphones!

Sep 11, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #1,075 of 2,311
Quote:

From my experience, there is a noteworthy difference between 320 kbps MP3 and WAV.

Of course, it all depends on what you want out of your music. If you have mostly MP3 and don't feel a desire for even more fidelity and lushness, then you're probably fine just sticking with MP3 as it's cheaper to purchase.

But if you're like me, you'll notice RIGHT AWAY what a difference the full WAV quality makes over MP3. To my ears, WAV allows you to hear very, very minute details in the recording. Details that would otherwise be "muddied up" or "choppy" in MP3.

And when it comes to the delicate layering of instruments and sounds (especially in EDM)... MP3 simply fails in comparison to WAV because of the nature of it's lossy compression algorithms.

But remember, it's all in how you listen to your music and what you demand from it. I'm a fairly analytical listener, so I demand quite a bit which is why I prefer the cleaner, punchier, more rich and full-bodied sound that only uncompressed audio such as WAV and FLAC can seem to deliver.

Oh, and when it comes to to price of Beatport's WAV files... yeah... I hear you on that. I've kinda justified it by asking myself whether or not it will be worth it 1, 3, 5 or 10 years down the road. "Will I still appreciate the extra quality for the extra $$ later in life?" -- If you answer yes, then I highly recommend WAV or FLAC over MP3! I mean, in the coming years you'll likely become a more demanding hi-fi listener anyway, so...

Sep 11, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #1,076 of 2,311
Quote:

So what's the point on paying extra for lossless files if I'm playing Electronic music (which I hear isn't that well-recorded anyway) from an iPod?

What I do is just rip all my CD's down to 256K AAC, you'll have space for a lot more songs, and I doubt very much that you'll be able to tell the difference.
Since you say the DJ1's are your best cans to date, I'd just get an amp (FiiO E11 or E17) for your iPod or get a Sansa Clip+ for more versatility in file formats and The Rockbox UI.

Besides saving up to get a $700 portable amp right now as a college student is just foolish, you might as well drop $1200 down on ALO's new portable tube amp...

It's all about enjoying the music that you listen to... 

If you like the sound of your gear now, then enjoy it till you get a change to listen to better at a meet or a demo etc...
About listening to that iPod at full volume, if you keep that up I really wouldn't worry about listening to anything down the road.
I can't turn my FiiO E11 up past 5 (Goes to 10) and it's way to loud.

Get yourself a little amp and enjoy! 
wink_face.gif

Quote:
From my experience, there is a noteworthy difference between 320 kbps MP3 and WAV.

...snip...

And when it comes to the delicate layering of instruments and sounds (especially in EDM)... MP3 simply fails in comparison to WAV because of the nature of it's lossy compression algorithms.

Really... out of an iPod and into a set of DJ1's you think you'll hear a difference between 320K's and WAV files...

beerchug.gif

Sep 11, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #1,078 of 2,311
Quote:

Besides saving up to get a $700 portable amp right now as a college student is just foolish, you might as well drop $1200 down on ALO's new portable tube amp...

I'd rather spend that money towards books and tuition before I even think about using it for luxuries lol.  College isn't cheap, and it's not getting any cheaper, unfortunately.

I had some Electronic songs from Monstercat in ALAC that I converted over to 320, but I don't remember how differently they sounded......then again, I doubt Beats Audio is good enough to catch everything to begin with.  But I just found a song I already have in 320 that I can get in ALAC, so maybe I'll be able to tell a difference?

& it seems like it's very debatable if you can tell a difference between 320 and a lossless file.  I hear 320 is actually very good for it being an MP3 file, and if you want to save space, one should opt for 320.  Honestly I can BARELY tell the difference between 256 and 320, but anything lower than 192 I can hear a difference....a clear difference, actually.

EDIT:  So I downloaded DotEXE's "Come Back To Me" in ALAC, a song I also have in 320k.....can't tell a difference.

Sep 11, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #1,079 of 2,311
Quote:

Of course, it all depends on what you want out of your music. If you have mostly MP3 and don't feel a desire for even more fidelity and lushness, then you're probably fine just sticking with MP3 as it's cheaper to purchase.

Cheaper to purchase? Really? Used CDs go for about 1-3$ shipped from Ebay or Amazon on average. Even if it's a new release, a CD is only a couple dollars more than the download at most.

You're less likely to hear a difference in electronic music than other genres, by the way. FLAC helps you hear extra details that the mic picks up, like, for example, fingers sliding on guitar strings. Electronic instruments don't have that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back