Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call)
Apr 15, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #826 of 2,312

Quote:
Yikes $500 is a lot, I paid quite a bit less in the US for the Pro900s..

haha yea, in regards to your earlier comment, actually the Dr. jekyl is my D7000 and the Mr. hyde is my Signature Pro. But I guess to put it better, I use the Signature Pro more for music (because it has better detail retrieval) and the D7000 for movies (because they have a more expansive soundstage and is more comfortable to wear - both for long term & with my glasses on). 

You can't go wrong with the SP, I haven't tried the Ed8 so I cant comment on them, but from what I had read they were sibilant so I always stayed away :). Oh and believe me this stuff has been expensive for me too, audio gear = debt haha. That said, I think its a more sound investment than other electronics.

I'll have to audition them some day. Hopefully some store will have them for auditioning. While most of my gear are imported, Sweden is having a better stable of stores selling higher end cans now than they did before. So, I guess I'm not all out of luck.

As for the prices, yeah, I know it sounds a lot. The thing is that it's a bit unfair to compare american prices with Swedish prices. What's much for us, might not be much for you, and vice versa. When it comes to headphones, we're so used to overpricing, so we tend not to overthink their actual value with the same references that you guys have. Plus, if we decide to import from you, we still have to pay a lot of VAT and other stuff - so what's cheap buying from you, may very well in the end become more expensive than it would've been buying it locally over here. I don't know, putting a dollar sign on a Swedish price tag might not be the best way to compare prices; there's just so many other factors at play here - taxes, importing fees, BNP, political climates (that will, of course, change the value of our respective currencies) and the list could go on.

Yet, I don't regret buying the Pro 900s. As said, they're my absolute favorite cans that will probably stay with me no matter what - despite being beautifully flawed. I guess it's a question whether one likes the flaws or not - because, neutral and natural, it isn't.

Oh well, hopefully someone carries the Sig Pros over here, so that I will know what to upgrade to if I like them, when I'm done sidegrading. I feel very much at home at mid-fi land, and taking the step over to the big guys feels a little unsecure for me. That is a box that may very well become my own personal Pandoras Box. If I buy headphones above the ones I have now, who's to say where it will end? If it even will end... Playing with $150-500 headphones feels a little more warranted with my economy than playing around with $1000-2000 headphones. At least at this rate.

Apr 15, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #827 of 2,312
I'll go ahead and check in while I ask for more information about the Signature Pros. 

The Pro 750 is the only headphone I've owned twice and I've heard most of the rest of the line at one time or another. Definitely a fan (which is why I'm considering the Signatures).

Apr 15, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #828 of 2,312
A few days ago, I've just got me a pair of DJ1 Pros (which I understand are the same as the Pro 550) which I bought from Amazon (mainly for fun, because someone gave me a giftcard), but I think that these just might have become my favourite headphones.. :)

In my opinion, compared to these, my AD900 don't have a sound signature that I'm often fond of and DT250s sound quite ordinary.

Anyway, I'm thinking of moving up the Ultrasone headphone chain and purchasing a set of Pro 900s.

The general impression I get about the Pro900s is that they are quite bassy? Do they also have a quite balanced, open, musical and punchy sound like the Pro 550s? I'm not really sure what exactly I should be expecting if I get the Pro 900s.

Apr 15, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #829 of 2,312
If you want something more balanced than the Pro 900 I'd get the Pro 750. Still very punchy, but the bass isn't quite as overwhelming as the Pro 900.

Quote:
A few days ago, I've just got me a pair of DJ1 Pros (which I understand are the same as the Pro 550) which I bought from Amazon (mainly for fun, because someone gave me a giftcard), but I think that these just might have become my favourite headphones.. :)

In my opinion, compared to these, my AD900 don't have a sound signature that I'm often fond of and DT250s sound quite ordinary.

Anyway, I'm thinking of moving up the Ultrasone headphone chain and purchasing a set of Pro 900s.

The general impression I get about the Pro900s is that they are quite bassy? Do they also have a quite balanced, open, musical and punchy sound like the Pro 550s? I'm not sure what exactly I should see in the Pro 900s.

Apr 15, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #831 of 2,312
While I've heard the 550 it's not recent in memory at all so I can't answer that one too well.

I will say that the 900 and 750 can be sharp sometimes. It never bothered me too much, but it could be a problem for those more sensitive than I.

Quote:
Thanks, I did some searching around the forums and found this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/404655/ultrasone-pro-750-vs-pro-900/30#post_7210404

Do the Pro 750 or Pro 900 have a more aggressive treble than the Pro 550's? I don't think my ears could take any more treble than what the 550s have.

Apr 15, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #832 of 2,312
The HFI2400 has gold plated drivers. I had these last year and they where kinda piercing with treble loaded music material. I got the PRO 550 then and find them much more balanced regarding treble and mids, but they still have a good bass pronunciation to make a bass head happy.

Quote:
Thanks, I did some searching around the forums and found this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/404655/ultrasone-pro-750-vs-pro-900/30#post_7210404

Do the Pro 750 or Pro 900 have a more aggressive treble than the Pro 550's? I'm not sure if my ears can take any more treble than what the 550s have.

Apr 15, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #834 of 2,312

Quote:

Ultrasone DJ1's are about 120 on amazon. Haven't tried the 450's. If you don't mind the color, its a better buy then the ~$190 HFi 580's as they are the same.

The color doesn't bother me if the sound is top notch.  I'm looking for solid, tight bass that doesn't smear the mids and highs.  Is the S-Logic Surround all it's cracked up to be?  From what I've read they have a much wider soundstage for closed cans.  

Apr 15, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #835 of 2,312
Be careful. Some people think S Logic is the holy grail but others can't stand it.

Quote:
Quote:

Ultrasone DJ1's are about 120 on amazon. Haven't tried the 450's. If you don't mind the color, its a better buy then the ~$190 HFi 580's as they are the same.

The color doesn't bother me if the sound is top notch.  I'm looking for solid, tight bass that doesn't smear the mids and highs.  Is the S-Logic Surround all it's cracked up to be?  From what I've read they have a much wider soundstage for closed cans.  

Apr 16, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #839 of 2,312

Quote:

S-Logic, like Ultrasones themselves, is rather polarizing, like mentioned above. Some people love it, others can't stand it.

Aside from S-Logic, the Pro 900 certainly deliver in the bass deparment, but not at the expense of the rest of the spectrum.

Apr 16, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #840 of 2,312
Just got some new Signature Pros today, 3-4 hours of burn in so far, very different from my GS-1000's and HD 25-1's, I'll report back in a few weeks... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back