Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call)
Mar 9, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #736 of 2,312

Quote:
I wish I had a clear cut answer for that. I dont.

Sometimes I prefer the Denons for electronic music too, but most of the times I do prefer the Pro 900 over the Denons. In general: for electronic, jazz and some rock - Pro 900. For everything else - Denon. But both are very capable of playing all genres very well.

Thanks, a little tip for your reply: Gaudi - Everlastind

Mar 10, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #738 of 2,312

Quote:
does anyone know if the pleather speed-switch pads on the pro 650 fit on the pro 900 and viceversa? looking to trade a fellow ultrasone owner my unused extra set for his
wink.gif

Hi these two phones sare the same housing incuding the pads fixture mechanism. So you can interchange them. But not all pads have the same height, so there might be a slight sound difference. and the RO 650's pads are pleather vs velour from the PRO 900, that could cause an even greater sound difference.

Mar 10, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #739 of 2,312

Quote:
Good to hear they are working well for you! You now also have a decent amp, so if you feel the need for an upgrade at some point, you can take adavantage of the higher impedance headphones.
wink_face.gif
7 years would be a good run though.

Yeah well I'm basing that projection on how long my HFI-550s lasted.  Sound remains intact and no signs of stress, wire-stripping or breakage on the housing. It was the slightly-bent headphone plug/jack (which only happened in the last year) that brought me back to the headphone market as I didn't want to see them eventually messing up the headphone inputs on all my devices.  So now I just use them as a spare set for DJ monitoring with a 1/4 jack.

Oh and now that I'm on head-fi.org, you KNOW I'll be back for some higher impedance, no question!

Mar 10, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #740 of 2,312

Quote:
Yeah well I'm basing that projection on how long my HFI-550s lasted.  Sound remains intact and no signs of stress, wire-stripping or breakage on the housing. It was the slightly-bent headphone plug/jack (which only happened in the last year) that brought me back to the headphone market as I didn't want to see them eventually messing up the headphone inputs on all my devices.  So now I just use them as a spare set for DJ monitoring with a 1/4 jack.

It shouldn't cost much to get that plug replaced - if that's all that's stopping you from using the HFI-550.

Mar 12, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #741 of 2,312
Hey all, I haven't had much luck deciding on my first pair of cans by reading other threads and posts so I figured I'd ask here.

I feel like I've outgrown my IEMs. I have Denon C751's and Phonak PFE022's and while they're both nice I keep feeling like the music is a bit claustrophobic when I listen. I feel very conscious of the sound being in my head, and don't feel immersed in the music. They just don't wow me like they used to.

So I'm ready to step up to some cans, but I need closed ones as I mostly listen while traveling and don't want to bother others while also not wanting to be bothered by outside noise.

I've read some good things about the Pro 550's, and even better things about Pro 900's (but they're outside my budget right now). My taste in music is very varied, and my source is currently my iPhone 4 (although my next purchase is a Fiio E11 + L9).

I guess this might be a slightly biased place to ask, but will the 550's do the trick? Other options for me right now are Audio Technica ATH-M50 Limited Edition silver, Pro700Mk2's, and Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's (250ohm?).

Budget, for what it's worth is £150 ($235 by today's rate), but keep in mind that we pay over the top for pretty much everything in the UK.

Thanks!

Mar 12, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #744 of 2,312
What sort of music do you listen to? A lot of electronic stuff, vocals, guitars, all of the above?

One thing to keep in mind is that the Pro700Mk2's are meant for dj'ing. I haven't tried them myself, but from what I've read, they clamp pretty hard and have a strong emphasis on bass compared to the ATH-M50. This could be a good or bad thing depending on your tastes.

The Pro 550 is sort of "V-shaped" in that you get a bit of an emphasis on the highs and lows. That combined with the soundstage makes it a good all around headphone, although I think it's strengths lean towards electronic music.

Mar 12, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #745 of 2,312
Ther is one thing that is very important: the restricted volume of EU DAP like Ipod and also Iphone. Here the PRO-550 is a good buy, as they play be loud enough without further amplification. That is due to the large 50 mm drivers. And they are very comfortable for long hours of listening to either music, videos or games.

Mar 12, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #746 of 2,312
I do listen to quite a bit of electronic music (Drum&Bass, House/Garage, Dubstep), but also some acoustic, jazz, classical, rock and hiphop. Honestly anything.

One thing I don't like about my IEMs is the seeming lack of soundstage, but I still need closed cans. I'm hoping the S-Logic of the Ultrasone's will do the trick. It seems then that it's between the Pro 550's and the AudioTechnica M50s for me.

I'm not worried about restricted volume on the iPhone - I'll definitely get the Fiio E11 regardless of what can I end up with as I think it's probably a good investment.

Mar 13, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #748 of 2,312

Quote:
I do listen to quite a bit of electronic music (Drum&Bass, House/Garage, Dubstep), but also some acoustic, jazz, classical, rock and hiphop. Honestly anything.

One thing I don't like about my IEMs is the seeming lack of soundstage, but I still need closed cans. I'm hoping the S-Logic of the Ultrasone's will do the trick. It seems then that it's between the Pro 550's and the AudioTechnica M50s for me.

I'm not worried about restricted volume on the iPhone - I'll definitely get the Fiio E11 regardless of what can I end up with as I think it's probably a good investment.

While they might work fine, I personally find them lacking in acoustic, jazz, classical etc - more natural timbre demanding type of music. They do feel a bit metallic to me, which was why I upgraded from the DJ1 to the D2000. The Denon would not suit you however if you want a strictly closed can.

However if you can bear with the very open-level sound isolation/leak from the Denons, consider them as well. Very good all rounders.

Mar 13, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #749 of 2,312
I love my PRO 900's as I listen to metalcore. They sound great. Wish they were a little louder out of my Sony Walkman MP3 player so I'm waiting for FiiO E17 DAC/amp to be available. That should do the trick.

Mar 13, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #750 of 2,312
I've had both the Pro 900 and the Pro 2900... I would definitely go with the 2900s for the money.. much much better sounding headphone, I personally couldn't stand the treble on the Pro 900s (even after extensive burn in) the 2900s are still treble happy but much calmer.

There are some people that state the 2900s are the exact same housing, just open/vs closed with the same drivers but its apparent that they were tuned differently as well (I did extensive A/B testing when I had both, it wasn't just a matter of open vs closed, at least to my ears).

I actually ended up selling the 2900s too and just going to the top with the Signature Pros.. Very awesome headphone, much more neutral/ with a hint of warmth - very different from the other Pro line models, but in my opinion much more musical (but I guess for the price it better be).

The way I heard it:

(COLORED) -> Pro 900 : Pro 2900 : Signature Pro <- (NEUTRAL)

- I should note that the Sig Pros still have fantastic bass (they are hands down, the best headphones for electronic music, followed closely by the Denon D7000s)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back