Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call)
Mar 7, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #721 of 2,312
I would go for the PRO 2900. My friend again told me that it is far better than the PRO 900. Btw, nice laptop you have, I have the same.

Mar 8, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #722 of 2,312

Quote:
I would go for the PRO 2900. My friend again told me that it is far better than the PRO 900. Btw, nice laptop you have, I have the same.

I don't think you can say one is better than the other.

Mar 8, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #723 of 2,312
Did you have the chance to listen to both?

Mar 8, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #724 of 2,312

Quote:

From my understanding by reading peoples opinions here, the Pro 900 is better suited for some music, while the Pro 2900 is more "allround". Not that either is particularly better than the other, just a bit different. I haven't heard the Pro 2900. Seeing as how they're priced the same by the same manufacturer, makes me believe that they are in fact on par with eachother. I also think that they are basically the same headphone with the only difference being that one is open and the other is closed.

I just sent Ultrasone an email about it asking them what the differences really are. If and when I get an answer, I'll post the answer in here, and we can see what's the difference.

Mar 8, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #727 of 2,312

Quote:

I don't need to. The only difference between the two is that 2900 is open and 900 is closed. Everything else is the same. So it's a matter of preference between open and closed sound characteristics.

Mar 8, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #728 of 2,312
I have not pro 2900, but i have proline 2500, for me for electronic music is better a closed like pro 900, the rythm base is more in evidence like is more in evidence the highs of the carpet (is right?).

Mar 8, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #729 of 2,312

Quote:

Yeah they are great 'phones but it sounds like you got a "side-grade" instead of an upgrade this time around.

The Fiio E11 arrived in the mail on Monday and I can definitely say that the DJ1 Pro's now have the bass I was looking for.  Thanks for the amp recommendation, this really changed my mind about the DJ1Pro's. And I see what you mean about keeping the EQ and Gain levels low....the lower settings are enough to introduce a defined but not overpowering bass presence to an already wonderful soundstage.

Looking forward to another 7 years with another Ultrasone headphones..thanks again!

Mar 9, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #730 of 2,312
Interesting news, everyone. My suspicions on the Pro 900 and Pro 2900 were wrong. I suspected them to share drivers and circuit board and that ultimately the only difference was different housing due to one being open and the other closed.  I just received an email from Ultrasone stating that the Pro 900 and Pro 2900 indeed have different drivers and circuit boards (diode). Meaning that they don't share anything other than similar technology (ULE and S-logic, I presume) and brand name in common. Ultrasone also mentions that these are indeed [very] different sounding headphones.

Mar 9, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #731 of 2,312

Quote:
Interesting news, everyone. My suspicions on the Pro 900 and Pro 2900 were wrong. I suspected them to share drivers and circuit board and that ultimately the only difference was different housing due to one being open and the other closed.  I just received an email from Ultrasone stating that the Pro 900 and Pro 2900 indeed have different drivers and circuit boards (diode). Meaning that they don't share anything other than similar technology (ULE and S-logic, I presume) and brand name in common. Ultrasone also mentions that these are indeed [very] different sounding headphones.

Hmm, I wonder why they have the same price now?
I think that the 2900 used to be more expensive then the 900.

Mar 9, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #732 of 2,312

Quote:
Hmm, I wonder why they have the same price now?
I think that the 2900 used to be more expensive then the 900.

Actually, I think they've always had the same price. This is how the price curves have looked in Sweden:

Pro 900:

Pro 2900:

I don't know how it's looked in US concerning their prices, but in Sweden they've always had the same price. Swedish prices on Ultrasone headphones have also been pretty much in line with Ultrasones own list prices the times I've checked them out.

Edit: I should also add that I'm skeptic that the Pro 2900 would in fact be better instead of just different.

Mar 9, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #733 of 2,312

Quote:
The Fiio E11 arrived in the mail on Monday and I can definitely say that the DJ1 Pro's now have the bass I was looking for.  Thanks for the amp recommendation, this really changed my mind about the DJ1Pro's. And I see what you mean about keeping the EQ and Gain levels low....the lower settings are enough to introduce a defined but not overpowering bass presence to an already wonderful soundstage.

Looking forward to another 7 years with another Ultrasone headphones..thanks again!

Good to hear they are working well for you! You now also have a decent amp, so if you feel the need for an upgrade at some point, you can take adavantage of the higher impedance headphones.
wink_face.gif
7 years would be a good run though.

Mar 9, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #734 of 2,312

Quote:
Actually, I think they've always had the same price. This is how the price curves have looked in Sweden:

Pro 900:

Pro 2900:

I don't know how it's looked in US concerning their prices, but in Sweden they've always had the same price. Swedish prices on Ultrasone headphones have also been pretty much in line with Ultrasones own list prices the times I've checked them out.

Edit: I should also add that I'm skeptic that the Pro 2900 would in fact be better instead of just different.

For electronic music do you prefer denon or pro 900?

Mar 9, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #735 of 2,312

Quote:
For electronic music do you prefer denon or pro 900?

I wish I had a clear cut answer for that. I dont.

Sometimes I prefer the Denons for electronic music too, but most of the times I do prefer the Pro 900 over the Denons. In general: for electronic, jazz and some rock - Pro 900. For everything else - Denon. But both are very capable of playing all genres very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back