Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call)
Jan 20, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #616 of 2,311

Quote:
I'm in love!!! I can listen to music without using the bass boost on my CMoy
L3000.gif
The S-Logic needs some getting used to, finally know what headfonia was talking about when reviewed the DJ1, but they are keepers. I will have to see if my other cans fit into my arsenal.

Gotta love the demo disc with the fireworks track, the carrying bag and packaging. Don't think i'll ever own the 325i so the chrome cups on these will have to do, seexxxyyy!

"Gotta love the demo disc" . . . . 

Funny you say that.  I ripped the demo disc into my iTunes (lossless) and listen to it every now and then. 

I listen to track 7 on full blast to loosen up my earwax 
darthsmile.gif

Jan 21, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #617 of 2,311
My carrying bag's string broke. Now I can't close my bag. >.>

I wonder if Ultrasone would be kind enough to send me a replacement lol.

Also to the one person who said the 580's highs were really sharp, that will go away over time. Through burn in process on the 580 the sound changes drastically. When I first got my dj1's in the mail, I noticed the highs were really sharp as well.

- EpicPie

Jan 21, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #618 of 2,311
The fan club got its latest member, got my HFI 580s on Thursday and i gotta say i absolutely love them. The bass is just earth shattering. My cousin has the XB500s and i have to say with the FiiO E11 bass boost this also beats them while still maintaining a crisp highs and decent mids, not at all muddy like the XB500s. These are my first headphones, and intact two weeks ago when i joined Head Fi the only audio companies i knew about were Beats, Bose , klipsch and Sony. I was gonna buy the Bose AE2 but i am really glad i did not and decided to a bit of research online which led me here. Anyway these headphones are awesome and i have my eyes set on the Ultrasone Pro 900s next, i almost bought them this time too but decided against it as it was the first time i was spending so much on headphones and thought it'd be better if started with the budget range.

Jan 21, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #619 of 2,311
I've had Edition 8's for about 6 months and have really enjoyed them.  Lately however, I find myself reaching for my IEM's more often (UE 10 Customs).  For this reason, I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on some new JH16 IEM's...go figure.

Jan 22, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #620 of 2,311
I'm planning on purchasing my first set of real headphones for ~$160 or under within the next few days, and was considering the Ultrasone HFI-780's. Would these be a good choice for listening to alternative, classical, hard rock, and acoustic? And do they have a good sound stage for gaming?

Jan 22, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #621 of 2,311
Jan 23, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #623 of 2,311

Quote:
Would you say that the Ultrasone HFI-580's would be better suited?

No I'd say you should get something else than Ultrasone entirely. The Pro 2900 (open version of Pro 900) would probably be good for gaming, since I know the Pro 900 is, but that's a whole other price range. But these genres you mention doesn't really fit the Ultrasone signature so you're probably better off with something else.

Jan 23, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #624 of 2,311

Quote:
I'm planning on purchasing my first set of real headphones for ~$160 or under within the next few days, and was considering the Ultrasone HFI-780's. Would these be a good choice for listening to alternative, classical, hard rock, and acoustic? And do they have a good sound stage for gaming?

Personally, I think the HFi780 is a good choice, mainly for alternative/hard rock and acoustic, less for classical and even if the HFi780 has a good soundstage for a closed headphone, its not huge for gaming.

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #625 of 2,311
Ultrasones in general tend towards a synthetic and metallic sound, making them not optimal for music with a lot of acoustic instruments.  So for acoustic and classical I'd look for something else.  But for non-acoustic rock/metal they're pretty good.  Not as good as Grados, but good enough.  Sometimes I even prefer them for bands that benefit from heavier bass than Grados will provide.  And it goes without saying at this point that Ultrasones are amazing for anything electronic-based.

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #626 of 2,311
I really think that the "metallic" sound depends a lot from the amp. When i use the most of them with the H1MPA (a relatively warm SS amp) i don't feel this "metallic" sound. The "most metallic" would be, imo, the Pro900.

Jan 23, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #628 of 2,311

Quote:
Running my Pro 900 and HFI-780 through an E11, the 780 sounds slightly more metallic, (and this varies song to song), but maybe it's just me.

I don't think its just you but we can probably change this tone with some amp.

Jan 23, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #629 of 2,311

Quote:
Running my Pro 900 and HFI-780 through an E11, the 780 sounds slightly more metallic, (and this varies song to song), but maybe it's just me.

I've had the Pro 900s and the 2900s... both sounded metallic to me, the 2900s less so. From what I have read though the HFI series was supposed to be warmer sounding. Different songs do have different sound signatures too. I also noticed that poorly recorded tracks on the Ultrasones sound awful, the headphones really don't help those tracks sound decent like the Dx000 or Sennheiser HD650s do.

Really interested in trying out the Signature Pros, I hear they just improve on everything...

Jan 24, 2012 at 4:23 AM Post #630 of 2,311

Quote:
I've had the Pro 900s and the 2900s... both sounded metallic to me, the 2900s less so. From what I have read though the HFI series was supposed to be warmer sounding. Different songs do have different sound signatures too. I also noticed that poorly recorded tracks on the Ultrasones sound awful, the headphones really don't help those tracks sound decent like the Dx000 or Sennheiser HD650s do.

Really interested in trying out the Signature Pros, I hear they just improve on everything...

The HFI series is indeed more "analog" or warmer sounding than the PRO series. The HFIs may be colored and a bit less detailed than the PROs, but to me the PROs sound quite artificial and are actually a bit hard for me to listen to, so I prefer the HFIs.

The Signature PRO is pretty much an Edition headphone with more rugged housing. It's about as neutral sounding as an Ultrasone is going to get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back