Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call)
Oct 3, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #317 of 2,312
where did you get your pro 900s then

Oct 3, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #318 of 2,312

Quote:
I am a Grado fan. I don't have any Ultrasone headphones.
when i try getting a pair, one of my frined warned me that if i like grado, i won't like ultrasone.

i haven't had a chance to listened to ultrasone and i am curious about what they sounds like and i am quite curious and interested in their technology.
i listen to many kinds of music. pop, classical, ambient,jazz and many soundtracks.

what model should i try?
any advice?

Start on the cheap end so you don't have too much "skin in the game" in case you hate them and want to resell them (which you likely will if you like Grado).  Maybe the Pro 550s are the place to start.  I would avoid the DJ1 which is in the same price point as they may be boomier in the low-end than you are looking for.

Grado = treble-centric, forward, bright, leaning towards the upper frequency range, open, slightly airy.
Ultrasone = slightly V-Shaped, a mild bump in the highs, slighly recessed mids, a moderate bump in the low-end (more or less depending on the model), not as airy as Grado, a bit more laid back.

You might want to try something from AKG if you want a closed/sealed alternative to your Grados.  If you want a polar opposite to your Grados you can try Ultrasone or Sennheiser.

Oct 3, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #319 of 2,312

I will receive my ultrasone pro 750 this week. What should be my burn in method. 

non stop music?
Pink noise only ?
or simply use burninwave generator and do white/ pink / Freq Sweep  8-35.000 Hz
how much time ?

Oct 3, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #320 of 2,312
Just listen to music, and if you feel like, keep the music playing when you leave your set up.

Quote:

I will receive my ultrasone pro 750 this week. What should be my burn in method. 

non stop music?
Pink noise only ?
how much time ?

Oct 3, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #321 of 2,312
Seriously, if anyone is curious about the Ultrasone sound then the HFi-15g is a very good model to test the waters. It's a very good portable that doesn't get any attention at all. They are the headphones that started my Ultrasone addiction and by far my favorite portable that I've used every day for the past 2 years. I see them pop up on ebay a bunch for ~$50 but just make sure you're getting the 2nd revision with the shorter cord and the extension. Their only downfall is that if you move around a lot, the plastic is a little on the squeaky side.

Oct 3, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #322 of 2,312

Quote:
Seriously, if anyone is curious about the Ultrasone sound then the HFi-15g is a very good model to test the waters. It's a very good portable that doesn't get any attention at all. They are the headphones that started my Ultrasone addiction and by far my favorite portable that I've used every day for the past 2 years. I see them pop up on ebay a bunch for ~$50 but just make sure you're getting the 2nd revision with the shorter cord and the extension. Their only downfall is that if you move around a lot, the plastic is a little on the squeaky side.

You can get a general sense of what the Ultrasone-signature sounds like with the 15G, but you really can't experience the full flavor of a circumaural Ultrasone with all of its S-Logic glory.  It's kind of like saying that I know what the HD650s sound like because I listened to the PX 100s.  Sure, they share the same namesake and a general similarity in regards to frequency signature, but they are worlds apart.

Oct 3, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #323 of 2,312
I guess what I was trying to say is that the 15G is an inexpensive way to taste S-Logic. If you enjoy it then you should step up to their full sized models. In that scenario you'll have a really good portable and a really good full size.

Oct 3, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #325 of 2,312
The effects of S-Logic is very present on the 15G. It's even apparent on the Zinos. You should give them a listen if you haven't already, they're really spectacular and underrated portables (15G, not the Zinos). 

Oct 3, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #326 of 2,312
I have.  They are nice headphones, but I didn't get the same impression of the S-Logic technology that I do from their full-size cans.

That being said, you are correct about them being very good headphones in general.  They have always been marketed towards gamers, so the audiophile community at large has strayed away from them.  

Oct 4, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #327 of 2,312
I made this file specifically for burning in my Pro 900: http://www.sorensiim.dk/stuff/Burn-in2.mp3

4 minutes of pink noise, 30 seconds of silence, 4 minutes of brown noise, 30 seconds of silence. Play on repeat for 50-100 hours :)

Quote:

non stop music?
Pink noise only ?
how much time ?

Oct 4, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #328 of 2,312
^ Thanks. I've been meaning to get some pink noise but never got around to it. And since it's right here in front of my face...*right-click*...

Oct 4, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #329 of 2,312
i have an iphone app that has pink noise, low hz, ect

Oct 8, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #330 of 2,312
Hi, currently burning in my new headphones. Pro 750
I'm looking for a Dac / Amp for under 300$. It doesnt need to be portable, I will use it with my pc (usb). What are your suggestions?  Will a dac/amp combo will be fine to drive the heaphones or I need a seperate amp?

Music :Mainly Rock, Hard-Rock, Punk-Rock, Metal, A bit of death. Also listen to other genders just to enjoy the headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back