Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Mar 20, 2011 at 7:02 AM Post #3,601 of 9,690

Quote:
the only thing that's giving me trouble's the fit. silicon tips don't stay and comply foam tips tear easily.. gonna try out other tips soon.

Wow, how do you handle the foam tips? Non of mine have torn, in fact I have had the same pair in now for well over a month and they look fresh as a daisy!

Mar 20, 2011 at 7:19 AM Post #3,602 of 9,690

Quote:
Wow, how do you handle the foam tips? Non of mine have torn, in fact I have had the same pair in now for well over a month and they look fresh as a daisy!

serious?! i have no idea myself. probably from constant pushing into my ear. uncomfortable fitting?
well, people i know with TF10 also complain about the yellowing of the tips gradually.

Mar 20, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #3,603 of 9,690

Quote:
serious?! i have no idea myself. probably from constant pushing into my ear. uncomfortable fitting?
well, people i know with TF10 also complain about the yellowing of the tips gradually.

I guess it could be a bad batch.

FYI, if you do get more get the black ones as I did, they do not go yellow!

Mar 20, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #3,605 of 9,690
haha well its goodbye to tips for me - reshelled :)

When you say reshell do they literally put all the innards into a custom shell or is it one of those custom sleeves that fit over the end where the tip would go?

Could you let me know where and how much this costs to do and what are the benefits, aside from better fit that is! Thanks in advance!

Mar 20, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #3,606 of 9,690
@ianmedium

Yes, when he says reshell he means that they disassemble the casing of the original IEM and take the innards - the drivers and crossovers and such - and put them into custom shells. They are not sleeves. Once you've reshelled, there is no going back.

The biggest benefit is the fit. The fit in and of itself can bring paramount wonders to the sound. Also, since there won't be any tips, there won't be an extra layer of coloration to the sound that the tips present. All of this is only true though as long as the company that does the reshell stays true to the original design and layout. Also, the comfort will be in another world than what you are used to. Customs feel so much better than standard tips. Depending on your ears and the custom's build quality, you may be able to wear them 24/7 and even sleep with them on! (I suggest letting your ears breath though lol)

http://kozeesolutions.com/product/42/universal_reshell
That is the place that I've chosen to reshell my Triple.Fi 10. Their president, Adam Palmquist, has to be the nicest guy I've ever met, and he will assist you and answer all of your questions. If you look through a few threads here, you will see that their quality appears to be top notch. Also, I think the forum member "average_joe" said something about Kozee possibly being able to slightly alter the sound signature to become closer to one's personal taste.

Mar 20, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #3,607 of 9,690

Quote:
@ianmedium

Yes, when he says reshell he means that they disassemble the casing of the original IEM and take the innards - the drivers and crossovers and such - and put them into custom shells. They are not sleeves. Once you've reshelled, there is no going back.

The biggest benefit is the fit. The fit in and of itself can bring paramount wonders to the sound. Also, since there won't be any tips, there won't be an extra layer of coloration to the sound that the tips present. All of this is only true though as long as the company that does the reshell stays true to the original design and layout. Also, the comfort will be in another world than what you are used to. Customs feel so much better than standard tips. Depending on your ears and the custom's build quality, you may be able to wear them 24/7 and even sleep with them on! (I suggest letting your ears breath though lol)

http://kozeesolutions.com/product/42/universal_reshell
That is the place that I've chosen to reshell my Triple.Fi 10. Their president, Adam Palmquist, has to be the nicest guy I've ever met, and he will assist you and answer all of your questions. If you look through a few threads here, you will see that their quality appears to be top notch. Also, I think the forum member "average_joe" said something about Kozee possibly being able to slightly alter the sound signature to become closer to one's personal taste.

Really wonderful information, thank you. I really love the sound the 10's make and to have them custom fit would be wonderful.. So that is custom fit for the 10's and HD800's by the end of the year, better start some serious saving!!

Mar 20, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #3,609 of 9,690
@flipfire

As far as I'm aware, only Unique Melody offers the option to add drivers. From what I've heard, the result generally messes up the sound chemistry and results in a worse headphone regardless of one's personally tastes. If you consider it, it does seem to make sense. Each IEM is built specifically to how the manufacturer wanted them. The slight displacement of a driver within a shell can cause differences in the sound, and they can be dramatic depending on how it was moved. Also, the crossovers are built specifically for the drivers in their exact configuration to produce the desired sound. Now, when companies do reshells, they try to keep all of the placements and distances the same as the universal, to maintain the same sound signature, just with the added benefits of a custom. When you add a driver into the mix, that can completely mess up the placements of the drivers, and it alters the crossovers, as they now have to deal with an extra driver that they were not designed to operate with. Also, the fact that there are now 4 drivers that now need electricity instead of 3 probably reduces the current that one of the other drivers receives, possibly more than the others.

In short, adding drivers causes your IEM to completely change, and it probably will not be for the better. Unless you have a spare set, I'd STRONGLY recommend against it.

Mar 21, 2011 at 5:14 AM Post #3,610 of 9,690

Quote:
Quote:
haha well its goodbye to tips for me - reshelled :)

When you say reshell do they literally put all the innards into a custom shell or is it one of those custom sleeves that fit over the end where the tip would go?

Could you let me know where and how much this costs to do and what are the benefits, aside from better fit that is! Thanks in advance!

well, hydrocharged said it all.
mine's done at Stage 93. it's nt yet ready but it's an upcoming IEM company by a friend.
im not really allowed to say anything so PM me if you want the details :)

Mar 21, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #3,613 of 9,690

Quote:
I'm going to enter the amp world for my TF10's. What would be a solid portable earphone amp to go with an iPod touch 4G for around $100?

I have never owned an amp and the TF10 is my first IEM so I might not be in the position to be giving advice. I have done a lot of reading as I wanted to get into amp's as well; the TF10 does not need any amplifying (which I think is very logical), I have read people saying that they prefer the TF10 without an amp after experimenting with it. I personally wonder though; how much the SQ improves from using a good DAC with an iPod touch. Anyone?

Mar 21, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #3,614 of 9,690
I have never owned an amp and the TF10 is my first IEM so I might not be in the position to be giving advice. I have done a lot of reading as I wanted to get into amp's as well; the TF10 does not need any amplifying (which I think is very logical), I have read people saying that they prefer the TF10 without an amp after experimenting with it. I personally wonder though; how much the SQ improves from using a good DAC with an iPod touch. Anyone?

Judging by how much it costs for something to bypass the ipod dac, not worth it.

Mar 21, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #3,615 of 9,690
I will chime in on the pro side of using an amp! Remember, it is not only about driving the headphone that an amp is used for. In my experience, before I got my Solo I experimented with plugging my10's directly into my classic. It was OK, but then I went through my amp and a whole lot of things happened.

Firstly the sound became more spacious, treble became a little sweeter, bass tightened and became more defined and treble went  from grainy to much more liquid and natural.

A lot of this comes down to the old adage, quality, not quantity. You may not be able to hear much in the way of power to the headphones but in my experience even a moderate quality amp brings a lot more life and emotion to the music.Having said that remember to download your music and a higher bit rate, at least 320KB but if possible losless as I do. Compression kills emotion and feeling in music I feel!

The amp, especially in "i" products leaves a lot to be desired,after all, look at what they expect you to listen to it with when you buy it and what level of ripping they expect you to use in your I device! I see no point at all in good quality headphones if the music you listen to is not of a higher bit rate, likewise, the better the quality you feed higher quality headphones including amplification the better they perform!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back