Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Mar 24, 2011 at 8:57 AM Post #3,631 of 9,690
I use Comply Foam Tips, have nothing bad to say about them. Hated the stock tips, couldn't keep them in my ears no matter what I tried; probably had a lot to do with the fact that I did not know about the best way to wear them: recently discovered that wearing them upside down with cable over your ear fixes fit problems for the most part.

Anywhoooooo; re shell coming up soon :)

Mar 24, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #3,632 of 9,690
Reshell does slightly alter the sound. Probably due to insertion depth. It makes the mids a little more forward. Also the filters used can affect the treble. I've learned to deal with the stock shape and love it's sound. My custom reshells are good too, just ever so slightly different.

Mar 24, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #3,633 of 9,690

Quote:
custom tips all the way! The stock tips seriously let the TF10 down, and that wearability is their only significant downfall.. I never go for foam, you always lose a bit of bass as it just isn't airtight no matter how snug you get it.

Quote:
I use Comply Foam Tips, have nothing bad to say about them. Hated the stock tips, couldn't keep them in my ears no matter what I tried; probably had a lot to do with the fact that I did not know about the best way to wear them: recently discovered that wearing them upside down with cable over your ear fixes fit problems for the most part.

Anywhoooooo; re shell coming up soon :)

lol

I'm trying to acquire more types of tips through trades, including extra UE grey mediums like on stock TF10.  I love TF10's stock tips with my RE252 and RE0.  Dem mids.

Also, foam sucks.  x2

Before it occurs to someone else, I tried hot glue reinforcement of the eartip bores on my earphones, and while it did render improved sound similar to using gel suptertips, it added a fatiguing treble spike.
Not such a great idea unless the treble spike doesn't bother you.

Mar 24, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #3,634 of 9,690
Maybe the stock tips let me down because the TF10 is quite large. I have small ear canals, but usually the smaller silicones fit me for other iems. On the TF10s, I just found them painful.

I guess if foam is the only way to get a comfortable fit then that is the only choice, but I just didn't use my TF10s until i got custom tips.

If you need extra stock tips, I got all of them the ones that came with it unused and I will not really intend on using. But I'm in the UK, so postage will push up the price as I am more than willing to give these away free (also true for the foam tips).

Mar 26, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #3,635 of 9,690
So I've had my TripleFi's for about a week and a half now, and to be honest, I'm still struggling to get that good, tight, secure fit.  Key word being "secure" here.  I walk to class everyday and it seems like I'm always fighting for them to stay in me ears.  Then if I even hint a smile, I'll lose the seal and they'll want to fall out.  Not to mention if I see someone and I have to take my headphones off, I worry I won't get that seal again without strenuous effort.

I tried the Sony Hybrid tips and while they were better than the stock tips, I do feel that I could've done even better than that.  I saw awhile ago in another thread that a guy made his own tips out of ear plugs, so I decided to give it a try.  I used these earplugs (bought locally, linked just to show what they are), cut the "flared" end off, and, with some persuasion, I "stabbed" a hole in the middle of them so they'll fit over the tube of the TripleFi (duh, haha).  I've only had about an hour of listening on these "custom" tips, but so far I'm very happy with them.  I'm definitely noticing stronger impact in the ~200hz range (bass drum and rim shots stand out more) WITHOUT a sacrifice in the mid to upper frequencies.  The fit is definitely there.  They do seem to "push" on the inner walls of my ears a little bit (hey, they're earplugs wrapped around a 1/4" tube), so over the course of a couple hours, they might fatigue my ears some, but only time will tell on that test.

So anyway, enough of me talking, here are a couple crappy cell phone pictures for anyone that is interested.

Mar 26, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #3,636 of 9,690

Quote:
So I've had my TripleFi's for about a week and a half now, and to be honest, I'm still struggling to get that good, tight, secure fit.  Key word being "secure" here.  I walk to class everyday and it seems like I'm always fighting for them to stay in me ears.  Then if I even hint a smile, I'll lose the seal and they'll want to fall out.  Not to mention if I see someone and I have to take my headphones off, I worry I won't get that seal again without strenuous effort.

I tried the Sony Hybrid tips and while they were better than the stock tips, I do feel that I could've done even better than that.  I saw awhile ago in another thread that a guy made his own tips out of ear plugs, so I decided to give it a try.  I used these earplugs (bought locally, linked just to show what they are), cut the "flared" end off, and, with some persuasion, I "stabbed" a hole in the middle of them so they'll fit over the tube of the TripleFi (duh, haha).  I've only had about an hour of listening on these "custom" tips, but so far I'm very happy with them.  I'm definitely noticing stronger impact in the ~200hz range (bass drum and rim shots stand out more) WITHOUT a sacrifice in the mid to upper frequencies.  The fit is definitely there.  They do seem to "push" on the inner walls of my ears a little bit (hey, they're earplugs wrapped around a 1/4" tube), so over the course of a couple hours, they might fatigue my ears some, but only time will tell on that test.

So anyway, enough of me talking, here are a couple crappy cell phone pictures for anyone that is interested.

Awesome mod! I have a bunch of green foam earplugs lying around, so I think I'll give that a try. I couldn't get my TF10's to stay in my ears (similar problem, they'd fall out if I smiled, lol) with any tip until I tried the flip mod. All you have to do is switch the cables (Left cable, right driver and vice versa) and insert them the other way (slanting backwards). It's an easy mod, and it worked like a miracle (for me at least, YMMV). Give it a try and see what you think. 
etysmile.gif

Mar 27, 2011 at 4:52 AM Post #3,637 of 9,690
Thanks calipilot.  I've been playing Call of Duty (PC) for a couple hours tonight with them in, and they're still as comfortable as the first time I put them in.  I still have to reach around and pull my ear up a tad to get a "perfect" fit, but I've had to do that with every ear plug that i've ever put in my ears, so this isn't much different.  In a perfect world, I'd just roll them up and shove them in, but I get that perfect seal if I reach over and pull my ear up a tad.  It's more of a convienence thing, but with the performance I'm getting out of them, I don't mind reaching around.

Mar 28, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #3,638 of 9,690
The other way to do the flip mod i guess, would be to just wear them hanging down. The only real reason to wear them over the ear is for microphonics, but generally the music is played at a decent enough volume to really make it purely a cosmetic thing. I think mine look equally as nice hanging down and that's how I wear them.

Mar 28, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #3,639 of 9,690

Quote:
The other way to do the flip mod i guess, would be to just wear them hanging down. The only real reason to wear them over the ear is for microphonics, but generally the music is played at a decent enough volume to really make it purely a cosmetic thing. I think mine look equally as nice hanging down and that's how I wear them.

For the life of me, I couldn't get them to stay in my ears when doing the flip mod.  The slightest bump of anything would cause them to lose seal, or fall out all together.  I don't know how you guys do it lol.

Mar 28, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #3,640 of 9,690

Quote:

I tried that, but I can't get them to stay in my ears that way. The memory wire helps tremendously to maintain the seal.

Mar 28, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #3,641 of 9,690
The memory wire does the opposite for me.  It is a little annoying.  How are you using it?

Mar 28, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #3,643 of 9,690
I do the same thing.  =\
I guess it's my ears.

Mar 28, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #3,644 of 9,690
finally got a pair of tf10's today from the buy/sell boards...very impressed...actually more than I thought I'd be. And I seem to be one of the lucky ones that gets a good fit with stock silicone tips and with hybrids. While the ergonomics are indeed strange and I hope some designer was fired for it, they don't cause me any pain and are fine comfort wise. The sound is very impressive...they are actually what I hoped my w3's would be. Soundstage is quite nice as well. The cord does suck though...might have to buy one of the jaben westone knock offs. But first impressions of the sound is very very positive.

Mar 29, 2011 at 5:33 AM Post #3,645 of 9,690
Guys, I needs me some convincin'. I can get a pair of these for $220AUD shipped, which is very good for a triple driver IEM, but I'm seriously put off by the notorious build quality issues that seem to follow the TF10s everywhere. I will baby the crap out of them, but it's still a bit of a worry for me. It's the only thing stopping me from taking the plunge!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back