Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Jul 5, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #6,796 of 9,690
Quote:
What does your cable look like? I always like looking at people's DIY stuff. 

Added my Photobucket Gallery to my signature if you want to take a look...

Jul 6, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #6,798 of 9,690
Quote:
Added my Photobucket Gallery to my signature if you want to take a look...

Haha man if I didn't have my setup right now, you'd be welcome to work with me ANY TIME! Great lookin' cables, Double Helix Nucleotide?

Quote:
I've recently lost my TF10 metal case. Logitech doesn't let me buy a replacement (I guess they don't make it anymore). Anyone got good case replacement suggestions?

I use a pencil pouch. Lately I use the same case I carry my knives in.

http://www.billscustomcases.com/

THEYRE CUSTOM! And quite affordable :3

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #6,801 of 9,690
Quote:
Double Helix Nucleotide?

No, they're Toxic Cables in 24awg UP-OCC format.  Great stuff and quite soft!  I just picked up some of their 26awg, OCC SPC stuff and will be building a new cable for my customs out of those... 

Jul 7, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #6,802 of 9,690
Quote:
Anyone tried the GR07? I'm stuck deciding between the TF10 and the GR07. I listen to music with lots of bass! (DnB, Hip-Hop, Dubstep, etc). Which is better?? Thanks!

I have both. Sub bass on the GR07's is just fantastic! There is not a huge quantity of bass, but the quality is great.

TF10 bass is pretty good - quite thumpy with good impact. If I had to choose one based entierly on the Bass for me it would be the GR07's.

Jul 7, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #6,803 of 9,690
Quote:
I have both. Sub bass on the GR07's is just fantastic! There is not a huge quantity of bass, but the quality is great.

TF10 bass is pretty good - quite thumpy with good impact. If I had to choose one based entierly on the Bass for me it would be the GR07's.

+1

I agree with this, that's exactly how I hear both my pairs. 

Jul 7, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #6,804 of 9,690
Quote:
"Double Helix" is a fancy name for wires twisted together.....
Which is the case for almost ALL cables....

It's actually a reference to my day job, which involves biochemistry.

Jul 12, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #6,805 of 9,690
About four years into owning my TF-10s I have a disturbing problem to report. The problem is that the housing for the right piece fell into two parts and I lost the outter piece, where the cushion attaches. I hadn't been paying attention and this was the first that I realized that Logitech now runs and "supports" the universal fit segment of UE. When I called to order the replacement part I was told that the only parts available were the cable and cushions. I said, "Ok, I'll send them in and you can repair them" to which I was told taht Logitech does not repair the universal fit IEMs. I pointed out that they cost $400 and I expected supported and was told, "Sorry, but there's nothing that we can do."

I've escalated my problem and I'm waiting to hear back from a more senior agent. My position is that they should either have some repair capacity, replacement parts or simply replace the units. It's not like this is a $50 piece. Yes, I did get four years out of them, but the mechanics still work and I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars to replace them.

I'll report back after I spoken with Level-2 support.

Jul 12, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #6,806 of 9,690
Quote:
About four years into owning my TF-10s I have a disturbing problem to report. The problem is that the housing for the right piece fell into two parts and I lost the outter piece, where the cushion attaches. I hadn't been paying attention and this was the first that I realized that Logitech now runs and "supports" the universal fit segment of UE. When I called to order the replacement part I was told that the only parts available were the cable and cushions. I said, "Ok, I'll send them in and you can repair them" to which I was told taht Logitech does not repair the universal fit IEMs. I pointed out that they cost $400 and I expected supported and was told, "Sorry, but there's nothing that we can do."

I've escalated my problem and I'm waiting to hear back from a more senior agent. My position is that they should either have some repair capacity, replacement parts or simply replace the units. It's not like this is a $50 piece. Yes, I did get four years out of them, but the mechanics still work and I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars to replace them.

Might be a good time to get them reshelled to custom-fit for around $100-150? Alternatively, me or someone else with modding skills might be able to look into the issue and see what can be done about it.

Jul 15, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #6,807 of 9,690
Quote:

I've seen that happen to TF10Pro before, and it's unfortunate that the part is missing.  Other's have been able to glue it back on.  Sounds like crappy customer service, which is a bigger issue.

Jul 15, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #6,808 of 9,690
My cable dillemma. Advice appreciated.

So, after about 6 months, my logitech replacement cable needs replacing again. Last time I bought a 10vi cable, and despite me being ridiculously careful with it, it's started to deteriorate around the connector. Hopefully you can see in this photo where the casing is coming apart from the connector.

This is pretty frustrating - the cable was $40 and I really expect better for this price. All it would take is some decent strain relief, or even just an L-shaped connector. As it stands, there is a relatively rigid connector joining a relatively flimsy cable. I mean, it's not hard to think that a cable like this would typically be used attached to an iPhone which in turn would be in a pocket while walking along. This motion would inevitably put strain on the connector and cable. It's baffling to me that the designers didn't think about this situation and design around it.

I've been aware about this limitation, and the only reason I have made it to 6 months since replacing the cable last time is that I make sure to take the phone out of my jeans pocket and put it in a jacket pocket. But that was in winter and now it is summer and I don't always wear a shirt with a pocket. Lately I've got in to the habit of hand-holding my phone while climbing stairs or other times when I know the cable may be bent slightly ... Madness!

I just want a cable that I can use with my Triple Fis and my iPhone, which doesn't fall apart after 6 months. Is that too much to ask?

So although I don't talk on the phone very much I do like having the control button to pause/ff, so an ideal solution would be to retain the control button (even better would be volume up/down as well). But frankly I am at the point that I would do without the control button just to have a cable I don't have to treat like some Ming dynasty vase or some such.

What should I do? The options are as I see them:

1. Replace the existing 10vi connector with a more sturdy one (suggestions?). I haven't attempted something like this before but I will give it a go anyway. But in case this doesn't work out, I'd like to consider other options. $5 plus time.

1. Yet another 10vi replacement cable from Logitech. Obviously not a great option, given the design flaws. I don't enjoy throwing good money after bad. At least they've dropped the price to $29

1. The standard (non-microphone) Logitech cable. This is out of stock at the Logitech store, but I guess can be found elsewhere. Unlike the 10vi cable it has an L-shaped connector (at least according to the pictures online), so would probably do the job if I could find somewhere to sell it. $19

1. Westone Epic replacement cable. They do a microphone cable with a control button. Unfortunately they are also sold out at the westone store, and they do say it produces echo when used with an iPhone 4s (which I have). Some concerns about compatibility too. $54+shipping

1. FiiO RC-UE1 replacement cable. No controls. Also discussed extensively in this forum: heavier than stock, some reliability issues too? $40

1. Many audiophile-grade replacement cables discussed in this forum, such as Chris Himself, Cardas, etc. None of these have controls, and are all a bit pricey for my immediate needs.

Any other options I've missed?

Jul 15, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #6,809 of 9,690
I would personally just replace the plug. It's not difficult and very cheap, if you have the tools, that is.
Even without soldering experience changing a plug is very easy.

Jul 15, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #6,810 of 9,690
Nah it is a tiny bit harder to source a plug with 3 stripes...

There's a dude in HK that makes aftermarket cables/mic for maybe below $100... You can pm me if you want to know his contacts

Users who are viewing this thread

Back