Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Jul 5, 2012 at 6:50 AM Post #6,781 of 9,690
Quote:
I have the Furtech cable here which I bought from ebay, it was pre molded ready for the TF10 to go on,( meaning the cable already had the ear curve) I discovered after using a multi meter that whoever made that cable had deliberately reversed the polarity in their design, they claimed it gave more bass and better highs when all it was doing was reversing the polarity to the stock cable.

I wouldn't be surprised if your's is backwards... That I do believe changes the sound.  I couldn't spin the connector around as they were pre molded one way only, unless I heated them up to bend the ear curve around they had to be wired reverse polarity.  

Oh and, thank you for the offer my friend, Very nice of you.

I never thought of it being wired incorrectly... your probably right.  I was thinking of cutting it up to use the 3.5mm connector and pins to make another cable.... now... I'm almost certain I'll do it.

Jul 5, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #6,782 of 9,690
Quote:
It's frankly hard to tell, i for one believe that sound changes with different cables of different materials. I've got chris's cables and they make the tf10 sound nothing like stock. 
It could be placebo, perhaps, but either way there's still differences. Have you tried out a silver cable yourself?

Phycological effects are actually quite strong in audiophile-ism. Always blind test if you hear differences.

Yes, I have tried silver cables (demo at local store) and YES I admit that they DO make a difference.
HOWEVER, As a student studying electronic engineering, I know that it is Impossible and just absolutely ridiculous.

So I've actually conducted fair, double - blind tests to confirm this.
and guess what? I don't hear a difference.

Thus I have personally concluded that the differences are all in my head!

*Note: The above information is based on personal experience.

Jul 5, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #6,783 of 9,690
Quote:

Not very convincing, after seeing your custom title.

But it really depends if you just want to have fun and enjoy this hobby or if you're serious about audio itself. 

People should have the right to know that it doesn't make a difference electronically.

That is not to say you can't believe using fancy cables make your music sounds better,
because at the end of the day what matters is that you enjoy your music and is happy with it.

LCD-2
HE-5LE
JH13 Pro

Any of those three in my collection would be able to show you a difference based on the cables they're wearing. Whether you personally hear one is not my business, but it's pretty irrational to deny someone else's experience as being valid when there are far more experienced audiophiles than yourself on this board. 

Search how many times cables come up in this thread, then look for who's name comes up the most :D

I believe cables do change the sound... if you want to test it... I can send you the "Furutech TF10 cable"... swap out the stock cable for the Furutech... and listen to the mids move just a hair if at all forward, but the bass nearly disappear.  Micro details seem a little better (probably due to lack of bass), but in the end... a worse cable than stock.  Totally not worth a purchase IMHO.

I don't think that could be a real Furutech cable since Furutech doesn't make wire. They do in-house cables, which cost like... 100's of dollars for something like a power cable. I own one of SunnyRicky's cables as well believe it or not. He's not an MOT or a member of head-fi as far as I know so I can review it. It's a great replacement cable though, I don't know that mine sounded worse than stock, I was happy with the sound, not with the construction because of the hard ear loops being uncomfortable. He probably uses a heat gun to "cure" the ear guides into final position so they get all hard and icky. The sound was good though, he just needs a little help. I'm very happy he can build you guys that stuff for such a reasonable price.

Jul 5, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #6,784 of 9,690
That's why you always keep your audio gear dry and away from large bodies of water. You never know what might happen.

Quote:

Phycological effects are actually quite strong in audiophile-ism.

Jul 5, 2012 at 7:13 AM Post #6,785 of 9,690
Quote:
Quote:

Not very convincing, after seeing your custom title.

But it really depends if you just want to have fun and enjoy this hobby or if you're serious about audio itself. 

People should have the right to know that it doesn't make a difference electronically.

That is not to say you can't believe using fancy cables make your music sounds better,
because at the end of the day what matters is that you enjoy your music and is happy with it.

LCD-2
HE-5LE
JH13 Pro

Any of those three in my collection would be able to show you a difference based on the cables they're wearing. Whether you personally hear one is not my business, but it's pretty irrational to deny someone else's experience as being valid when there are far more experienced audiophiles than yourself on this board. 

Search how many times cables come up in this thread, then look for who's name comes up the most :D

I am not actually denying anyone's experience at all!! 
If you read my post carefully,
all I am saying is that cables do not make a significant difference electronically, and this is a fact!
Emphasize on electronically! Not Perceived SQ.

Jul 5, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #6,786 of 9,690
Quote:

I don't think that could be a real Furutech cable since Furutech doesn't make wire. They do in-house cables, which cost like... 100's of dollars for something like a power cable. I own one of SunnyRicky's cables as well believe it or not. He's not an MOT or a member of head-fi as far as I know so I can review it. It's a great replacement cable though, I don't know that mine sounded worse than stock, I was happy with the sound, not with the construction because of the hard ear loops being uncomfortable. He probably uses a heat gun to "cure" the ear guides into final position so they get all hard and icky. The sound was good though, he just needs a little help. I'm very happy he can build you guys that stuff for such a reasonable price.

It was a SunnyRicky cable... lol.  I ended up building my own and tossed this one into one of the crevices of one of my Electronics boxes and it has yet to be touched since... I tried selling it here... no one was interested... even at nearly $20 shipped.

Jul 5, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #6,787 of 9,690
Quote:

I am not actually denying anyone's experience at all!! 
If you read my post carefully,
all I am saying is that cables do not make a significant difference electronically, and this is a fact!
Emphasize on electronically! Not Perceived SQ.

I write many times here the equipment used to measure stuff isn't even accurate enough to detect the subtle difference that cables make. The margin of error is greater than the actual difference itself. 

Electronically... I have no idea. I'm a materials engineering student and absolutely none of that knowledge goes into this. If you've ever visited my blog/website, theres like 0 marketing material because I actually don't even care to discuss the benefits of cables and I actually never have before here on the forums.

I just know what I know and it sucks that I'm limited by the nature of my account or I could write a small novel on this.

Quote:
  It was a SunnyRicky cable... lol.  I ended up building my own and tossed this one into one of the crevices of one of my Electronics boxes and it has yet to be touched since... I tried selling it here... no one was interested... even at nearly $20 shipped.

If you ever wanna embark on an epic adventure, buy the Homegrown Audio silver (effin' legit stuff for the money) and build your own cable. Make sure to do a litz braid and that all your braids are neat and compact (not tight, tightness is counterproductive and makes it worse because the wires touch more than necessary). Basically the idea is that the wires intersect as little as possible and connect at 90 degree angles so theres the least amount of contact patch possible for crosstalk/interference. The results are sort of overwhelming especially if you don't believe in cables all that much aahahah.

What does your cable look like? I always like looking at people's DIY stuff. 

Jul 5, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #6,788 of 9,690
Quote:

I write many times here the equipment used to measure stuff isn't even accurate enough to detect the subtle difference that cables make. The margin of error is greater than the actual difference itself. 

Electronically... I have no idea. I'm a materials engineering student and absolutely none of that knowledge goes into this. If you've ever visited my blog/website, theres like 0 marketing material because I actually don't even care to discuss the benefits of cables and I actually never have before here on the forums.

I just know what I know and it sucks that I'm limited by the nature of my account or I could write a small novel on this.

If even sophisticated electronic equipment can't detect the differences, how can you possibly expect the human ear to do it? 

Go read up on psychoacoustics and you will understand...
Human perception is less perfect than you think. 

Jul 5, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #6,789 of 9,690
Quote:

If even sophisticated electronic equipment can't detect the differences, how can you possibly expect the human ear to do it? 

Go read up on psychoacoustics and you will understand...
Human perception is less perfect than you think. 

The equipment really isn't that sophisticated...

I really don't want to crap up the TF10 thread any more. Let us not discuss this any more. This is one of my favorite threads on head-fi.

Jul 5, 2012 at 8:40 AM Post #6,790 of 9,690
^ Alright.

Anyway as I was saying, If you have fitting or comfort issues with the TF10, get a pair of custom tips (moulds) from your audiologist!
It's worth the extra cost and you can use it with other IEMs with a 4mm Funnel. (I got mine for $60)

Or you can get it reshelled, I'm reshelling mine and will probably get it by next week!

Jul 5, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #6,791 of 9,690
Quote:
^ Alright.

Anyway as I was saying, If you have fitting or comfort issues with the TF10, get a pair of custom tips (moulds) from your audiologist!
It's worth the extra cost and you can use it with other IEMs with a 4mm Funnel. (I got mine for $60)

Or you can get it reshelled, I'm reshelling mine and will probably get it by next week!

Where did you get done for $60?

Other option would be to try making out own custom tip, Not sure what he (in vedio) is using to plug the filters, I will try on TF10 if I am able to plug filters
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GhF_wF-hUQ&feature=player_embedded

Users who are viewing this thread

Back