Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Jul 15, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #6,811 of 9,690
Jul 16, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #6,813 of 9,690
If someone is planning to buy a Tripple Fi 10, I recommend to buy the Westone cable. It's around 50$ in amazon. 
With the new cable, I can hear more sound than the new cable. The bass is stronger and tighter, which is great for current genes of music (dance & pop)
In addition, the plastic at the the end will help you to bend the cable around your ear. It's extremely convenient. You won't have to deal the cable tangling your ears.
However, there is a small gap between the cable input and the ear bud, and you may ended up bending the connector a little bit. This cable is very easy to tangle in your pocket  as well.

Jul 16, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #6,814 of 9,690
Quote:
If someone is planning to buy a Tripple Fi 10, I recommend to buy the Westone cable. It's around 50$ in amazon. 
With the new cable, I can hear more sound than the new cable. The bass is stronger and tighter, which is great for current genes of music (dance & pop)
In addition, the plastic at the the end will help you to bend the cable around your ear. It's extremely convenient. You won't have to deal the cable tangling your ears.
However, there is a small gap between the cable input and the ear bud, and you may ended up bending the connector a little bit. This cable is very easy to tangle in your pocket  as well.

Wait seriously? They're $50?

The Westone pins are the same girth as the stock (we all know girth is what really matters) but the length is a bit too long. Just file them down about 1mm and you'll have a nice fit. The Westone cables are superior to the UE in terms of construction. I have no idea what they're made of but people have been doing this for years.

I remember back when Westone was the #1 IEM brand :)

Jul 16, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #6,815 of 9,690
Quote:

The Westone pins are the same girth as the stock (we all know girth is what really matters) but the length is a bit too long. Just file them down about 1mm and you'll have a nice fit. The Westone cables are superior to the UE in terms of construction. I have no idea what they're made of but people have been doing this for years.

This is the one that I bought: http://www.amazon.com/Westone-Replacement-cables-Removable-monitors/dp/B005GQ7JJ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342448919&sr=8-1&keywords=Westone+cable
It is available in 50" and 64" length of cable. The 64" is $3 more expensive.
I didn't do my search carefully enough, there was a Westone EPIC MICS Cable that I could have used with my phone for $20 more. Stupid me. 
redface.gif

Jul 16, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #6,816 of 9,690
Quote:

Really? I read on average_joe's thread that the tf10 pins were smaller in girth. Here's the table:frowning2:Maybe it might be the length)

Stock Pin Size Chart (all 4 pins measured):
[size=13.333333015441895px]
Cable
Size (inches)
Size (mm)
Jerry Harvey Audio JH16
0.29​
0.75​
Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor
0.29​
0.75​
Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10
0.27​
0.68​
Thousand Sound TS842
0.28​
0.72​
Rooth LS8
0.29​
0.75​
Ear Sonics EM3 Pro
0.29​
0.74​
Starkey SA-43
0.29​
0.73​
Kozee Infinity X3
0.29​
 ​

[/size]  

Jul 16, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #6,817 of 9,690
Just bought one set for a pair of triple fi's and they do fit with a bit sticking out.  How do you file them down exactly?

Thanks

Jul 21, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #6,821 of 9,690
Just got my TF10s. I've had the Westone 3 which many people say is comparable/better but to my ears the TF10 has a wider soundstage that isn't quite as deep but with much better dynamics, instrument timbre, less metallic treble and without the boomy bass that overshadows the mids. TF10 is slightly below in detail if memory serves, but the sound is so much more balanced and coherent, there's no comparison which is the better phone overall, TF10 all day for me, especially with the replaceable cable. The mids are not as recessed as I feel I'd been led to believe from reviews, it is neither forward nor recessed IMO while the treble is aggressive and the bass is perhaps slightly emphasized, but actually close to neutral to my ears. The enormously wide stage (for an IEM), awesome dynamics, and realistic decay definitely make it the most aggressive, explosive phone I have ever heard, and I LOVE IT. Its just the right balance of fun and analytical, plenty detailed but it doesn't force the little bits like my unfiltered SM3.

Might be they are still new and shiny, but they are possibly my new favorite phones.

Jul 21, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #6,822 of 9,690
Quote:
Just got my TF10s. I've had the Westone 3 which many people say is comparable/better but to my ears the TF10 has a wider soundstage that isn't quite as deep but with much better dynamics, instrument timbre, less metallic treble and without the boomy bass that overshadows the mids. TF10 is slightly below in detail if memory serves, but the sound is so much more balanced and coherent, there's no comparison which is the better phone overall, TF10 all day for me, especially with the replaceable cable. The mids are not as recessed as I feel I'd been led to believe from reviews, it is neither forward nor recessed IMO while the treble is aggressive and the bass is perhaps slightly emphasized, but actually close to neutral to my ears. The enormously wide stage (for an IEM), awesome dynamics, and realistic decay definitely make it the most aggressive, explosive phone I have ever heard, and I LOVE IT. Its just the right balance of fun and analytical, plenty detailed but it doesn't force the little bits like my unfiltered SM3.
Might be they are still new and shiny, but they are possibly my new favorite phones.

I couldn't have expressed how I feel about this IEM any better. Been my go-to IEM for some time now-just seems to fit my taste in balance well. Congrats on your new purchase.

Jul 21, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #6,823 of 9,690
Quote:

Same here my friend! I absolutely love them. At first I was iffy from all the reviews on them, but decided to take a chance. I am glad I did!! But definitely not a big fan of the cable.. might go grab the FiiO RC-UE 1.

Jul 22, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #6,824 of 9,690
I was kind of shocked to find that my TF10s have less bass body than my unfiltered SM3s, given the common comparison the UEs attract to the W3, which was too bassy to me. The TF10 has a faster bass driver, IMO, and the bass is punchier, but the SM3 is definitely weightier and shows more power lower. However I find the TF10s respond really well to EQ on my G2x, better than the SM3 which tends to muddy up the bass pretty easily; I'm thinking that with amping or a better source, the bass on the TF10s would go deeper. I'm considering a ZO2 now 
basshead.gif

Jul 22, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #6,825 of 9,690
You get tones of bass and a little but muddier presentation, and also a tiny amount of hiss. I must repeat, only a very tiny bit but tones of bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back