Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Jul 23, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #6,841 of 9,690
So does anyone know what Logitech/UE's support is like? Because it seems that my right earbud is producing more than the left. And I am using a Westone Cable if that matters.

Jul 23, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #6,842 of 9,690
Quote:
So does anyone know what Logitech/UE's support is like? Because it seems that my right earbud is producing more than the left. And I am using a Westone Cable if that matters.

Or are there things I can do to maybe fix it?

Jul 23, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #6,843 of 9,690
Quote:
Or are there things I can do to maybe fix it?

With all those armatures it wouldn't be hard for a driver to die on you if you've seen how those things are wired internally.

Theres nothing you can do to fix it, there isn't a way to take it apart and put it together again. I've only successfully broken one apart to mail the armatures to Fisher before.

A cable problem would only give you spotty sound, usually when there is a 30% decrease in volume, one of your armatures went out sadly =(

The alternative is to replace said pair of armatures in some custom reshells, or to get new ones entirely from UE/Logitech.

Jul 23, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #6,844 of 9,690
Quote:

With all those armatures it wouldn't be hard for a driver to die on you if you've seen how those things are wired internally.

Theres nothing you can do to fix it, there isn't a way to take it apart and put it together again. I've only successfully broken one apart to mail the armatures to Fisher before.

A cable problem would only give you spotty sound, usually when there is a 30% decrease in volume, one of your armatures went out sadly =(

The alternative is to replace said pair of armatures in some custom reshells, or to get new ones entirely from UE/Logitech.

Yea its definatley a 30% decrease or 60% =( Im going to call them tomorrow see what I can find out. Have any of you dealt with their costumer support?

Jul 23, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #6,845 of 9,690
Quote:
Yea its definatley a 30% decrease or 60% =( Im going to call them tomorrow see what I can find out. Have any of you dealt with their costumer support?

Uh yeah, basically they gave me 50% off their online catalog, which actually really sucks if you bought them for 99. They're listed at 399 on the website. They used to be 449 at debut.

Are you still within warranty? I was outside of warranty and the Super Fi 5 Pro that died was well out of production by the time they died.

Logitech customer service is sort of an upgrade to the old UE service in my opinion. 

Jul 23, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #6,846 of 9,690
Quote:

Uh yeah, basically they gave me 50% off their online catalog, which actually really sucks if you bought them for 99. They're listed at 399 on the website. They used to be 449 at debut.

Are you still within warranty? I was outside of warranty and the Super Fi 5 Pro that died was well out of production by the time they died.

Logitech customer service is sort of an upgrade to the old UE service in my opinion. 

I bought them for $99 
tongue_smile.gif
. Yea its still well within its warranty. It ends in November.

Jul 23, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #6,847 of 9,690
Quote:
For what it's worth, I ordered this 3.5mm metal TRRS plug from ShowMeCables:

The metal casing and strain relief were the winners. Now to resuscitate my soldering skills...

And here's the result, for those who care...

Much better!

Wasn't the easiest repair job I've ever done, but wasn't terrible either. Just took my time and got each cable soldered right before moving on.

Jul 24, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #6,848 of 9,690
Quote:
I bought them for $99 
tongue_smile.gif
. Yea its still well within its warranty. It ends in November.

I forgot if you had to mail in your old units but you can more or less get it done in like a week's time. It's a quick phone call to India and then you'll have your replacements buddy.

Someone just called me trying to upgrade his cable but I had to tell him the sad news that his IEM volume was low just like yours, problem is that he was outside warranty because his were reshelled. =/

It's ok I sent him over to Sound Earphones to buy some Earsonics SM3v2's.

Jul 24, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #6,849 of 9,690
Quote:

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry that they're a little more microphonic. We're getting new stranded silver plated copper soon, contact me when those land maybe I can swap for you if the microphonics are worse than you'd wish to deal with.

The harshness and slight tinny sound is a characteristic of fresh cables. Once they get "vine-ripened" on your IEM's for a week or so you'll notice a difference.

As of half a year ago, I didn't believe in cables or burn-in. It's becoming evident that I'm more wrong than right these days about audio.

Again, thanks for the support, it's what keeps us going.

Thanks for the info, Chris. I'll definitely be interested in the silver plated copper if I don't get used to the microphonics. And I haven't quite burnt in the cables yet, so hopefully the harshness will go away a bit. Don't really believe in burn-in either, but I've clearly been wrong before.

Jul 24, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #6,850 of 9,690
Ruh roh, he probably won't like the treble, after TF10s...
Quote:

I forgot if you had to mail in your old units but you can more or less get it done in like a week's time. It's a quick phone call to India and then you'll have your replacements buddy.

Someone just called me trying to upgrade his cable but I had to tell him the sad news that his IEM volume was low just like yours, problem is that he was outside warranty because his were reshelled. =/

Jul 24, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #6,851 of 9,690
Quote:

Thanks for the info, Chris. I'll definitely be interested in the silver plated copper if I don't get used to the microphonics. And I haven't quite burnt in the cables yet, so hopefully the harshness will go away a bit. Don't really believe in burn-in either, but I've clearly been wrong before.

In short, it's going to sound a little worse in some ways before it gets all around better. This is my experience with Moon Audio Silver Dragon, not even just talking about my own stuff.

Jul 24, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #6,852 of 9,690

so its really easy to get a new pair?

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #6,853 of 9,690
Quote:
so its really easy to get a new pair?

YAY. Im getting new ones. The Logitech people were really nice. All I have to do is send them the invoice and they will give me new ones! So I have one more question. Do I send the cable in along with the earbud?

Jul 24, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #6,854 of 9,690
I posted earlier that the outer molding of my 3-year old TF-10s had come unglued and then lost while traveling. I contacted Logitech customer support (they now own the universal fit part of UE and the custom fit portion is a different company) and they told me that they could not send me a replacement part or repair my IEMs. I pointed out that this was a $400 product and that their lack of support was very disturbing for what I consider to be a "high end" product. After a bunch of wrangling, they said they'd give me a 50% discount. I didn't think that was great, but I was willing to do it, but then the 50% discount EXCLUDED UE products!!! What good would that do me? I don't want a 50% discount on some crappy keyboard or computer mouse.

Anyway, they wouldn't budge. I'd recommend against buying the high end, universal fit IEMs from Logitech. They provide a two-year warranty, but have no clue about how to support their customers longer term.

Jul 24, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #6,855 of 9,690
Quote:
I posted earlier that the outer molding of my 3-year old TF-10s had come unglued and then lost while traveling. I contacted Logitech customer support (they now own the universal fit part of UE and the custom fit portion is a different company) and they told me that they could not send me a replacement part or repair my IEMs. I pointed out that this was a $400 product and that their lack of support was very disturbing for what I consider to be a "high end" product. After a bunch of wrangling, they said they'd give me a 50% discount. I didn't think that was great, but I was willing to do it, but then the 50% discount EXCLUDED UE products!!! What good would that do me? I don't want a 50% discount on some crappy keyboard or computer mouse.

Anyway, they wouldn't budge. I'd recommend against buying the high end, universal fit IEMs from Logitech. They provide a two-year warranty, but have no clue about how to support their customers longer term.

You lost them.. Why would they give you new ones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back