Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Jun 2, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #451 of 9,690
So, been at my IE40s (TripleFis) non-stop since I got 'em. I've totally fallen for these things, it's unreal, pretty much been wearing them five days straight.

The biggest shock came to me tonight, though, when I swapped over to my Sennheiser 280HD pros... the sound on them seemed so brittle, recessed, and tinny that I've pretty much thrown them on the desk and vowed never to use them again. This is after five years of constant studio use.

However, with so much use in virgin ear canals, they were really starting to irritate me. Today I did the flip flop mod with the bi flange tips... to much success. They fit deep with a solid seal, and aren't pressing on the sensitive areas. Just ordered the Comply tips, so we'll see how those go.

soozieq: also, just read your posts re: the sony tips. i used them for the first day, but found the isolation on them absolutely miserable, i could pretty much hear everything... i'm not super happy with the stock tips, but prefer them over the paper thin sony's.
frown.gif

Jun 2, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #452 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by western120 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the triple fis sound better with Sony Mp3 player or with Cowon D2; I finally ordered tfs
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I have D2 and was thinking if I should but a sony Mp3 that will make tfs sound better.

I was browsing on Sony players and found this link

Sony A820 Review

This is the relevant portion of the review to your question:
The A820 is the best sounding out of the box MP3 player (aside from the same A810 experience) meaning that if you don’t want to purchase any additional headphones, this is the best sounding all in one box solution (but again you get the same experience from the Sony A810 and A720).

However, adding a nice pair of headphones is a slightly different story. I still think this player sound very good but on my Shure SE530’s the A820 sounds very processed. It did however perform well in the sub $200 headphone category particularly with my Future Sonics Atrio M5’s and CrossRoad Mylar’s. However, like the other A and S series Sony’s I did find the low to mid bass on the exaggerated side. In the end the A820 performs fantastic with lower end to fairly premium phones, but I cannot recommend the A820 for the upper echelon of headphones.

Of course he is not talking about Triples and has not tried them with the player..they don't have extra bass like Shure 500..so may not suffer from this..but again he says he does not recommend it for premium headphones and Trips certainly are premium..

Jun 2, 2008 at 12:10 PM Post #453 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm so used to "colored" headphones that I can't stand neutral headphones anymore
frown.gif
I might need to sell these once summer (read: sweaty) is over. I may have to move on to ESW9 for portable solution.

Wow, leaving aready?
frown.gif

I wouldn't describe TF10 as 'neutral' (altho compared to SE530....
smily_headphones1.gif
) - their colouration (slightly recessed mids, clear soft treble, lean clean bass) is the source of their pleasureable & addictive sound I think. There's a kind of refined sweetness & clarity to Triple Fi sound, while still punching out a deep solid bass, that makes them very rewarding for me. Etymotic, of the IEMs I've heard, are the more neutral and even across the spectrum...

Jun 2, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #454 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by geekchic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was browsing on Sony players and found this link
Sony A820 Review
Of course he is not talking about Triples and has not tried them with the player..they don't have extra bass like Shure 500..so may not suffer from this..
but again he says he does not recommend it for premium headphones and Trips certainly are premium..

He doesn't say whether he bothered to try them with any other premium earphones at all so I assume his review was based solely on the E530/Sony combination. I had the E500s with my Sony A808 and didn't like the excess warmth coming through (although that's probably down to individual listening preferences).

But the Triples are much more neutral than the E500s and I think the combination is breathtaking. The bass is deep and well controlled and the overall tone is full and detailed without ever sounding 'processed'. I think the choice of earphones (with any Sony dap) is crucial since the sound changes so much with different ones.

Dodeca: - shame the Sony tips didn't work for you. I couldn't get on with any of the UE tips at all.
Thank God for the choice is all I say
biggrin.gif

Jun 2, 2008 at 1:21 PM Post #455 of 9,690
Agreed. When I heard the Sony A818 thru TF10, albeit just for a short time, it was very nice indeed.

Jun 2, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #456 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by geekchic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course he is not talking about Triples and has not tried them with the player..they don't have extra bass like Shure 500..so may not suffer from this..but again he says he does not recommend it for premium headphones and Trips certainly are premium..

The sound being pumped out of my A829 + TripleFi's is pure butter. Like crack cocaine to my ears. I enjoy it more than the sound I get from my EMU 1616m. My studio monitors and sub have been sorely underused in the last week. I die a little inside when I have to charge the Sony and can't play anything from it. I mean, seriously, I don't want to take these things off.

Anyway. I spent an entire week in various stores plugged into different players, and was instantly sold on the Sony. Between the sound quality and breezey interface, it was a no-brainer.

Christ. I've never been a fanboy for anything, but I'm really starting to sound like one now.

My only problem now is that I've found myself on the UE website peeking at the UE10/11, and crunching numbers...

soozieq: i liked the sony tips, they were comfy, but the isolation was horrrrrible. i've gone back to the medium stock tips. the biflanges felt really invasive, and kept making me itch.

Jun 2, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #457 of 9,690
You hit the nail on the head, Dodeca.
I am taken aback (in the best way possible!) by how purely addictive the SQ of Triple.Fi 10 is.

Good innit?
biggrin.gif

Jun 2, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #458 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dodeca /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The sound being pumped out of my A829 + TripleFi's is pure butter. Like crack cocaine to my ears. I enjoy it more than the sound I get from my EMU 1616m. My studio monitors and sub have been sorely underused in the last week. I die a little inside when I have to charge the Sony and can't play anything from it. I mean, seriously, I don't want to take these things off.

Anyway. I spent an entire week in various stores plugged into different players, and was instantly sold on the Sony. Between the sound quality and breezey interface, it was a no-brainer.

Christ. I've never been a fanboy for anything, but I'm really starting to sound like one now.

My only problem now is that I've found myself on the UE website peeking at the UE10/11, and crunching numbers...

soozieq: i liked the sony tips, they were comfy, but the isolation was horrrrrible. i've gone back to the medium stock tips. the biflanges felt really invasive, and kept making me itch.

it a shame the sonys seem to ogo wellwith the tf10s i hate the look/design of them, and im in the market for a new mini mp3

another fanboy coyly raises hand

Jun 2, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #459 of 9,690
"another fanboy coyly raises hand"

LOL

Jun 2, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #460 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"another fanboy coyly raises hand"

LOL

lol, i need to find a player to complement them, what shops [uk] will let you try mp3s? if any

Jun 2, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #461 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it a shame the sonys seem to ogo wellwith the tf10s i hate the look/design of them, and im in the market for a new mini mp3

another fanboy coyly raises hand

You know, I felt the same way... which is a major reason it was the last player I plugged into, just as a formality, before I went home to put in a D2 order online. Oh how things change.

The look of it has really grown on me, probably as a result of the sound and interface. Clean, sleek, classic black Sony right out of the 80s.

Jun 2, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #462 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dodeca /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, I felt the same way... which is a major reason it was the last player I plugged into, just as a formality, before I went home to put in a D2 order online. Oh how things change.

The look of it has really grown on me, probably as a result of the sound and interface. Clean, sleek, classic black Sony right out of the 80s.

ahh, i had a look, its just too nasty looking, i cant get it, and when the p2 looks so good

Jun 2, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #463 of 9,690
Tottenham Ct Rd...most almost fall over themselves to get you to buy! Deals are negotiable. But it's preloaded music -don't know if they'd let you load a card.

AdvancedMP3Players website has great prices, & a 7 day trial I think? They've always been good guys to deal with IME.

Jun 2, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #464 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ahh, i had a look, its just too nasty looking, i cant get it, and when the p2 looks so good

lol... the P2 is certainly t3h s3xy... can't argue there!
wink.gif

Jun 2, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #465 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am taken aback (in the best way possible!) by how purely addictive the SQ of Triple.Fi 10 is.

I hate you, I hate this thread
wink.gif

I found myself up to after 2AM last night crunching numbers on what stuff I can sell and in what order to get the triple.fis and not be murdered in my sleep by my wife.

I was waffling between livewires and triple.fis, but I can't seem to find the courage to commit to customs when I already know the triple.fis will fit comfortably AND I see such fanboyish drooling from you people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back