Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
May 29, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #421 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeMark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my TF10s back from UE and after listening to the ER4s for the past two weeks, it was really nice putting these back on. They are much better in my opinion. Also, it seems their tips are new and different from my old TFs. I was using the Comply T-400 previously but just stuck these in my ears with the med tips in and they sealed great and sound great. I might just stick with them.

it could be that your old tips were startin to get old and hardened

May 29, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #422 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What be your source and cable?

Foobar ASIO --> USB DAC

May 29, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #423 of 9,690
Quote:

Specifically v E2c: you will get a window, hell a whole side of a house opening into the music...bass will be deep but clear and detailed. It will not spread over into mids etc and colour the sound. Mids are, IME, nicely presented (female vocals come over very well), and have an openness and sparkle you just don't get w/ E2c. Treble is detailed and inviting, never harsh or glaring. Hi-hats come off butter smooth. (yeah, I know: you have E2c, you're asking what treble?! LOL).

The sound(head)stage alone will be an eyeopener between the two. Instruments will be separated and layered and more easily followed. The whole signature will be much (as in much) less muddy and blocky, while retaining a very open, airy but solid presentation that just leads you further into the music.

They sound simply damn enjoyable too, which I don't recall my E2c ever coming close to, nice as I found them for my very first in ear phone (until I heard some others). Hope this helps

Sounds lovely, I really want to try them..
Only downside I can see is that they don't go for 50$ on ebay like er-4p for example
mad.gif

May 29, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #424 of 9,690
They don't go for $50 but they do come up occasionally here on Head Fi in the FS forums...well, very occasionally admittedly
wink.gif

May 29, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #425 of 9,690
Hey...I'm looking to upgrade iems...did anybody do a super freq/triple fi comparison. I don't know how freq offers customs with 3 drivers for less than 300$ while triple fi's are $380....how important is impedance, frequency response and sensitivity....that is what seperates the two. I know that was a very noob question. thx, rob

May 30, 2008 at 12:16 PM Post #426 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by nycrob515 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey...I'm looking to upgrade iems...did anybody do a super freq/triple fi comparison. I don't know how freq offers customs with 3 drivers for less than 300$ while triple fi's are $380....how important is impedance, frequency response and sensitivity....that is what seperates the two. I know that was a very noob question. thx, rob

i think u'll probably find more ppl who're able to answer that in the freq thread. most people don't go back to universals once they've decided on customs. it's extremely uneconomical lol. there'll be more ppl in the freq thread who've actually tried the highest tiers and universals and wanted to upgrade to customs.

May 30, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #427 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by nycrob515 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, a few of us (myself included) had both the UE TF's and the FreQs. Here is doggiehowser mini-review/comparison:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/4266665-post2058.html

Here is my own mini-review (very next post after):
Quote:

Originally Posted by wquiles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also had both the TF's and the SuperFreQs at the same time (I now have sold the TF's and only have the FreQs). Pretty much, point for point, I agree with doggiehowser that the sound signatures are very similar - I loved them both. I also agree with him that the fit is what breaks the TF's for me - I simply could not wear them for more than 1 hour or so (I use them a lot in planes, so a good, comfortable fit for 2-3-4 hours is a MUST). I even got custom tips for my TF's, and althught those allowed a "more" comfortable fit, I have only been able to get real, long-term comfort with the full custom IEM's, and that is why I sold the TF's and keep the SuperFreQs. After owning full custom IEM's, I don't think I will ever try/have universals again
wink.gif

Will

May 30, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #428 of 9,690
Joining the club!

I got the TF a few weeks ago after buying the Super.Fi and using them for about a week. I'm coming from an E3C that I've used for more than 2 years. Reason I started looking was I needed a second set of sound isolating earphones for a trip to Japan this summer with my girlfriend (and I'm missing BoA's concerts by a week....sigh).

Anyway, I was already extremely happy about the Super.Fi's sound quality compared to the E3C. There is no comparison, really. The E3C's sound like the regular iBuds to me now. However, after getting the SF, I was reading all about the TF and decided to buy a pair from Costco, given their awesome return policy. I loved them so much (and there really is a subtle but significant difference between the two) that I returned the SF and have been using the TF daily since.

These IEMs are so comfortable (flip-modded) to me that I almost always have them in or at least dangling from my body. The comfort (way better than the insert-into-brain Shures) and sound quality have successfully enticed me to use them all the time, something that didn't happen with the E3C. I can wear them for hours, and when I have to leave my audio source (iPhone or Lenovo X61t), I usually choose to keep them in and unplug rather than taking them out.

They're also much easier to keep earwax free. The E3C had a small sound conducting tube, so wax got trapped in there quite easily. The tips also got quite waxy and actually started slipping out after some time. Thanks to the memory wire, the slippage doesn't happen with the UEs and the conducting tubes are large enough that any wax that gets on the plastic or silicone tips, I just "vibrate" off the tips like plucking a guitar string. Of course I also wipe down with alcohol on occasion too.

Anyway, I can't imagine my music getting any better than this, though I'm sure people can tell me that it can. If you have the money, TFs are really worth it as long as they are quite comfortable to you. My friend has the Shure SE510 or whatever; I haven't tried them, but I especially like the fact that you can replace the cable on the UEs yourself, which makes it okay to mod the cables (e.g. to fit the iPhone), something you can't do with the Shures.

May 30, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #429 of 9,690
Welcome
biggrin.gif

So when's the first purely Triple Fi meet guys? Tip swapping, amp tryouts, I can see it all clearly.

And who is going to be first to bring ApureSound to the party?

smily_headphones1.gif

May 30, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #430 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And who is going to be first to bring ApureSound to the party?

Oh! I didn't know that! I would love to try these cables. And, it seems the cable will work with the Westone products (Westone 3 when they come out?
very_evil_smiley.gif
I still got my preorder).

Right now, I enjoy the TP10 with the T-500 Comply tips. It took 5 business days to get it from the US to Canada. The confort and the isolation are top notch.

Link:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f38/ap...ml#post4264195

May 30, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #431 of 9,690
My wallet's already packed its suitcase...

I expect I'll get a postcard from Bolivia.

May 31, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #432 of 9,690
i just tried switching the cables round on my tf 10 (ff mod) and something went strange with the sound (dunno if it was the iphone or the cables that did it) but i soon swapped them back!

i haddnt bothered switching the cables before

May 31, 2008 at 8:35 AM Post #433 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i just tried switching the cables round on my tf 10 (ff mod) and something went strange with the sound (dunno if it was the iphone or the cables that did it) but i soon swapped them back!

i haddnt bothered switching the cables before

Exactly the same happened with me (I use Cowon D2). I get a much tighter seal with the mod (the tips actually go 'pop' when I pull them out). Yet, sound quality was compromised for me. I felt the bass was stronger, but at the expense of some treble and most of the highs. Basically, it felt like a veil between me and the sound. The regular style does not give me as tight a seal, but far better SQ.. Can anyone explain why this happens? I always thought best seal = best SQ.

May 31, 2008 at 8:50 AM Post #435 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe you guys connected them back on with the wrong polarity.

In FF mode, the L/R signs on cables should point towards the driver/ form a right angle with it - will that be the correct polarity?

I checked with Tara at UE and she told me that's correct. Would also like to hear from other Trippers who have tried it if this is what they do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back