Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
May 31, 2008 at 12:11 PM Post #436 of 9,690
Yep, that's how my cables are oriented.

May 31, 2008 at 12:18 PM Post #437 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by geekchic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly the same happened with me (I use Cowon D2). I get a much tighter seal with the mod (the tips actually go 'pop' when I pull them out). Yet, sound quality was compromised for me. I felt the bass was stronger, but at the expense of some treble and most of the highs. Basically, it felt like a veil between me and the sound. The regular style does not give me as tight a seal, but far better SQ.. Can anyone explain why this happens? I always thought best seal = best SQ.

I have a theory (lol) that a slightly incomplete seal gives some air and presence to treble - as obviously a really bad seal totally reduces even the best IEM to a transistor radio with nothing but tinny highs - so may be that's it? A total seal is perhaps not always necessarily a Good Thing?
eek.gif

May 31, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #438 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a theory (lol) that a slightly incomplete seal gives some air and presence to treble - as obviously a really bad seal totally reduces even the best IEM to a transistor radio with nothing but tinny highs - so may be that's it? A total seal is perhaps not always necessarily a Good Thing?
eek.gif

you cannot be serious. haha. if a pair of earphones relies on the gap between the tips and your ears for the treble, then i cannot imagine how it's a good pair of earphones. customs would fail then, in that respect. i think the muted effect comes from the material of the tips themselves, and the sub-optimised distance and spacial dynamics with your ears, since the earphones aren't actually designed with those particular foams in mind.

May 31, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #439 of 9,690
Serious? Moi?!

bang....agh...you got me.....

wink.gif

May 31, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #440 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Serious? Moi?!

bang....agh...you got me.....

wink.gif

They are my first IEMs. I live and learn.
redface.gif

I figured out the problem. The seal was perfect but they had gone too deep inside my ears. Maybe that is because the orientation of the drivers had changed? So I changed the tips. The seal is still 'tight' and the bass is as deep but the trebles are back. I am still amazed at how much the tips can affect the sound. I also EQd a bit to adjust for the extra bass. They sound great now
biggrin.gif

As a Triple owner, I am extremely possessive about the highs and trebles, they are so addictive that I miss them acutely when they are not there.

May 31, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #441 of 9,690
I bought these just to see what all the fuss is about. That said, man, these are excellent IEM's. The best I've heard by at least a noticeable margin. The bass is the tiniest bit bloated, but it's barely noticeable. They sound very "meaty", which is opposite of the ER4P that I had and couldn't listen to for extended amounts of time. The Triple fi's are also the only IEM I've heard so far that approaches the sound of a full sized headphone. It's maybe 75-80% there

On the downside, these things are huge and the fit is terrible for me because I have tiny ear canals. I tried the flip flop mod and they still fall out of my ears. I'm not sure I can go anywhere with them until I can get them to seal properly. Is there maybe a list of all the tips that fit the triple fi's anywhere here? That would be awesome. I really don't want to have to let these go because the fit isn't ideal

May 31, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #442 of 9,690
Does the triple fis sound better with Sony Mp3 player or with Cowon D2; I finally ordered tfs
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I have D2 and was thinking if I should but a sony Mp3 that will make tfs sound better.

May 31, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #443 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by SptsNaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the downside, these things are huge and the fit is terrible for me because I have tiny ear canals. I tried the flip flop mod and they still fall out of my ears. I'm not sure I can go anywhere with them until I can get them to seal properly. Is there maybe a list of all the tips that fit the triple fi's anywhere here? That would be awesome. I really don't want to have to let these go because the fit isn't ideal

Here's a link from steviebee:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ult...ml#post4210579

Also, you can add the Comply T-500. I had them and, to me, it is the perfect tips for confort and isolation. I too have tiny ear canals and I always use small tips with my ER4-P. Hope that helps!

May 31, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #444 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by western120 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the triple fis sound better with Sony Mp3 player or with Cowon D2; I finally ordered tfs
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I have D2 and was thinking if I should but a sony Mp3 that will make tfs sound better.

Don't know much about the Sony player, but they sound excellent out of my D2, even without EQ. Most of the other cans I've used with the D2 needed at least some EQ not to sound dull. For portable use, I can't see myself ever being dissatisfied, especially since I don't listen critically at all on the move. I think you'll be happy, but who knows. The fit is probably going to be a bigger determining factor as to whether you will keep them or not

Thanks for the link ioXt_2

May 31, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #445 of 9,690
^^^man you got to try a sony player it has great bass sometimes too much of bass but it sounds incredible..Now I am even more concerned about the size of tfs and how they'll fit...

Jun 1, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #446 of 9,690
I purchased Triple Fi's recently and I must say the weirdest thing about them is if I use them straight outta iPod they sound pretty bright, which I like, but if I connect them to a 1000$ headphone amp (PS audio GCHA), their highs sound rolled off like Shure's. I just don't understand why that happens.

Jun 1, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #447 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by western120 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

They sound pretty good with the D2. Bass is not a problem - I don't even use M3B with them. BBE set at 1 or 2 helps too. Never heard them with a Sony - but I have checked them with the Iriver H320 and the Creative Zen and they sounded great with both.

What makes a bigger difference for me is the quality of rips - they show up poor rips quite mercilessly unlike cheaper phones. But high quality rips sound divine.

Jun 1, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #448 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by geekchic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are my first IEMs. I live and learn.
redface.gif

I figured out the problem. The seal was perfect but they had gone too deep inside my ears. Maybe that is because the orientation of the drivers had changed? So I changed the tips. The seal is still 'tight' and the bass is as deep but the trebles are back. I am still amazed at how much the tips can affect the sound. I also EQd a bit to adjust for the extra bass. They sound great now
biggrin.gif

As a Triple owner, I am extremely possessive about the highs and trebles, they are so addictive that I miss them acutely when they are not there.

smily_headphones1.gif
Tips really do. I used to like Shure olives with Trips, but in comparison with Shure E2c Flex (clear) they lose bigtime apart from comfort & ease of seal - flatter SS, less bass, less crisp, less air. Flat to my ears. Ety Er-6 foamies are pretty good too, & I'll still like the dark grey UE silicon.

Jun 1, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #449 of 9,690
Jun 2, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #450 of 9,690
I'm so used to "colored" headphones that I can't stand neutral headphones anymore
frown.gif
I might need to sell these once summer (read: sweaty) is over. I may have to move on to ESW9 for portable solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back