Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
May 18, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #316 of 9,690
Another satisfied 10 owner here. They've ruined my enjoyment of my ALO K701's, as the music feels like it has more body as well as being detailed in ways I didn't realise IEMs could be.

I've done the reverse mod (swapped the cables then put L in my right ear and R in L). I find putting anything in my ear generally irritating, so I took the foamies from my Ety E76i's, ripped them off the inner tubes and cut them in about half. That made for excellent foamies for them, though you lose a bit of isolation and I suspect it changes the EQ a smidgen.

As soon as APureSound comes out with an upgrade cable, I might nab one.

May 18, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #317 of 9,690
Hey, me me me me, count me in too!!

I've just finished 'playing' with them after 2 weeks and I'm keeping them. They sound fantastic teamed with the Sony A829. No problems at all with fit (and I've been using them for a minimum of 5 hours a day), and no problems with comfort. I thought there would be since the housing's so big. But they don't press on any tender bits and the cable is a doddle as I 'wear' the Sony, and trail the cable down my back, then plug it in at the side. It's completely out of the way and the earphones don't budge.

I do find that a bit of moisture helps with insertion though
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Anyway, I'm having them surgically attached on Monday. I like them that much. The sound is so BIG!

The only con is that silly metal case with no spool to wrap them around. I used it twice but the cable always sprung up again before I managed to close the case, so now I'm just using a padded pouch and it works fine.

Oh, and I found my Sony tips gave me the best seal. All in all I'm really really happy with them. I didn't 'join in' the thread until I was sure I was over the 'new toy' syndrome, plus I wanted to give them a good run in to see how long-term comfort was. They hurt for the first few hours but now I can barely feel they're in.

May 18, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #318 of 9,690
Hey soozieq, glad to see your 'tryout' period went well! Big blue marches on
biggrin.gif

What part of London are you? I'm in E10...

May 19, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #319 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway, I'm having them surgically attached on Monday. I like them that much. The sound is so BIG!

Soozieq-
Great... now I'm getting a bit envious!

I can't step up to them for a while- house repairs are necessary, and I have to look into either repairing or replacing my home amplifier. A channel went out on it the other day!
mad.gif
Just when I thought I was going to get to sock away some cash from all this freelance design work I've been doing, these issues come up!! It never stops.....

May 19, 2008 at 12:15 PM Post #320 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ with no core, or you put the core back in?

Edit\ I don't think 6i cores would fit the bore of Triple Fi?

With no core. I pulled the foam off the core and trimmed it to almost half the length so that it was about the size of the smallest rubber tip.

May 20, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #321 of 9,690
Sweet, I finally have them in my ears.

Didn't sound right with my Clip => Doolittle "Debaser"
Neither did my home setup with iMod => LD MK IV SE => triple.fi

But I just chose "Do It Again" by Steely Dan, album "Can't Buy a Thrill" (mastered by Steve Hoffman under MCA), and wow, this sounds so natural, so groovy, so...right.
biggrin.gif

May 20, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #322 of 9,690
ok, so these babies are finally delivered to me and I have to say that these are pretty darn good so far.

For some reason, courier didn't bother to knock on my door before leaving the package front of my door (he actually threw them from 20 feet away - I could hear the loud thump from my room)

thankfully these were packaged well and I was nearby to pick them up before anyone else did.

I initially had a hard time fitting them in - (these things are HUGE in IEM world), but thankfully, they fit quite snug.

good sweet mids, with treble sparkle, and decent bass (I wish bass had more impact though) and isolate quite well - as it fits well in my ears.

I tried using my millet hybrid with them - quite a bit of improvement! bass was more prominent and had more impact while having improved midrange response.

I'll most likley use them unamped, from my X5.

May 20, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #324 of 9,690
well I actually prefer treble on my 325i - I'm very odd and I prefer edgier trebles. I'm also quite insensitive to sibilance, so that helps.

but for portable solution, I haven't found anything better yet..
until I get custom IEMs anyways.

I'm afraid of excercising with these though - I do lots of hiking and I use my B&O A8s.

I'm also very sweaty man, and I'm afraid of ruining them.

I guess IEMs are not suitable when hiking - I still need to hear "RUN!!! there's a bear behind you!!!" or "hey there good lookin', do you have a number that you can give me? all this hiking is getting me hot". (latter situation never happened...yet.) but I did encounter few bears when I went hiking.

May 20, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #325 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well I actually prefer treble on my 325i - I'm very odd and I prefer edgier trebles. I'm also quite insensitive to sibilance, so that helps.

but for portable solution, I haven't found anything better yet..
until I get custom IEMs anyways.

I'm afraid of excercising with these though - I do lots of hiking and I use my B&O A8s.

I'm also very sweaty man, and I'm afraid of ruining them.

I guess IEMs are not suitable when hiking - I still need to hear "RUN!!! there's a bear behind you!!!" or "hey there good lookin', do you have a number that you can give me? all this hiking is getting me hot". (latter situation never happened...yet.) but I did encounter few bears when I went hiking.

the 325is are next on my list, im yet to find a headphone in can form that can do what the tf10 does

i also sweat alot exercising, and only use cheap over ears for that, otherwise sweat may drip down the little hole

May 25, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #327 of 9,690
got a pair of these badboys, love them
what a difference from my using shure e2c's, only used them unamped as yet.

May 25, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #328 of 9,690
Hey Alan, glad to hear you're another happy Triple Fi Guy! Let us know your impressions of them w/ your Tomahawk
smily_headphones1.gif

May 25, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #329 of 9,690
Just received a pair of these yesterday & am trying to decide if I can live with the particular sound they have.

Am currently running them unamped out of a iMac 800mhz or Powerbook. Listen to rock, ambient, fusion, electronica, jazz, Dead.

The only tips that work for me are the Comply T500; none of the stock UE tips are working. The T500 tips definitely seal well, and I would classify the UE10 as bearable, but not comfortable. I am using the reverse mod.

On to the sound. I love the analytical nature of these; cymbals, transients from guitar strings, vocal nuance; all good. However they lack detail in the midrange. "Dry", "recessed", & "emotionally un-involving" are all apt descriptions of the midrange, IMO.

Are those of you using these, EQ'ing the mids?

Soundstage is decent, not on a par with a good tube amp/speaker setup, but I never expected that.

Am sort of underwhelmed by these. Am I expecting too much?

Do they need to burn in?

Switch to SE530?

May 25, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #330 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_eleven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just received a pair of these yesterday & am trying to decide if I can live with the particular sound they have.

Am currently running them unamped out of a iMac 800mhz or Powerbook. Listen to rock, ambient, fusion, electronica, jazz, Dead.

The only tips that work for me are the Comply T500; none of the stock UE tips are working. The T500 tips definitely seal well, and I would classify the UE10 as bearable, but not comfortable. I am using the reverse mod.

On to the sound. I love the analytical nature of these; cymbals, transients from guitar strings, vocal nuance; all good. However they lack detail in the midrange. "Dry", "recessed", & "emotionally un-involving" are all apt descriptions of the midrange, IMO.

Are those of you using these, EQ'ing the mids?

Soundstage is decent, not on a par with a good tube amp/speaker setup, but I never expected that.

Am sort of underwhelmed by these. Am I expecting too much?

Do they need to burn in?

Switch to SE530?

You could always try them. Read different comparisons.

From what I've read, the SE530 give a slightly more fuller warmer sound, with stronger mids, lows and bass definition. But with slightly worse high's and treble. Which are more important to you?

The no.1 problem with the TF5 Pro's and TF10 for me personally is with comfort. I like you, found them acceptable, not particularly comfortable. They stick out a little too much, the tips don't give the best seal, and the memory cable can be a bit fussy. One area where the SE530 is definitely better is with comfort. They fit like a glove. The seal is the best I've ever had, and you can wear them indefinitely without any canal itch or comfort issues, I even fell asleep with mine on the other day and to my surprise when I woke up and took them off, my ears were perfectly fine. The other earphones I have would have given me ear ache after such prolonged wear. take a look at images of the different fits.

propertyofearphonesolutionsear1a.jpg

So consider all these factors and come to your own conclusion. At the very least, go in to a shop and try and demo them and others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back