Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Dec 15, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #1,786 of 9,690
Dec 15, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #1,787 of 9,690
Dec 17, 2008 at 4:41 AM Post #1,788 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Might of been tempted but live in UK, sorry.

wouldnt customs/taxes make an international sale a big pain, or because its a cable that fits in a small padded envelope, it's no big deal

Dec 17, 2008 at 5:18 AM Post #1,789 of 9,690
I don't know if this had been mentioned or brought to attention before - but IIRC the build quality of UE(non-custom ones) IEMs is quite bad compared to other brands. The balanced armature drivers sometimes 'blow' earlier than expected - but the worst problem is that if you especially continuouslly take them on and off to fit on custom cables, or alternating between stock and custom cable(s), they get real loose relatively quickly. And physically, they can break with unexpectedly small forces like just slightly holding them between your thumb and index.

Get a few random Google searches on the TF10 and the SF5Pro and you realise plenty of people complain about one or both sides of the IEM falling off. I've had that happen to my friend and even though he thought he got a great deal by saving $100 (he bought a 2nd-hand TF10), everything went down the train when one side came loose.

The sound quality is terrific, no doubt (I've heard through a pair myself) - but for its price, its extent of build quality is very worrying. As for UE fans, I do hope you'll take real care of them.

Even as I'm typing this right now my friends who own UE IEMs have either lost one side (and I can assure you that he's more careful than me, and he's a more avid audiophile), got a treble driver blown, or connection between IEM and cables are already getting loose to the point it comes off at unexpected moments.

Dec 17, 2008 at 5:24 AM Post #1,791 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ue quality is not too bad like you may think if you want to compare the amount of ue failures to shure 530's with cable splitting problems alone it would not even be a comparison

If you've noticed the 'UE curse' is evenly spread through plenty of UE's products - while you've only mentioned one Shure product.

I don't need to think, I've had already 5 friends who parted with their UEs (by act of fate) or have already experienced problems with it. That to me is more than enough to turn me away from a product significantly, if not prevent me from *even* thinking of trying on, or recommending the product; if not everyone else.

And *might* I add that they've never went past ownership of 2 months before things started happening.
Even the Ety's, thought to have less-than-standard build quality because of their frail-looking appearance, hold their own against the UE pretty well.

And yes - I'd rather prefer cables splitting than the IEM housing breaking or falling off without notice - at least I can get them repairred. But, one side lost, is lost forever, and could be used for "impromptu soccer" by others after that - I shudder at that thought.

Good day.

Dec 17, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #1,792 of 9,690
Has this happened to many others? I just recently bought TF10s and did quite a bit of "research" on here prior to buying them - didn't find many reports of poor build quality. Anyone care to put my mind at ease?

Dec 17, 2008 at 6:27 AM Post #1,793 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by oogabooga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has this happened to many others? I just recently bought TF10s and did quite a bit of "research" on here prior to buying them - didn't find many reports of poor build quality. Anyone care to put my mind at ease?

Unless you switch/take off your detachable cables often, or treat them like rag dolls, they should do just fine.
Still, for self-assurance, it'll be good to 'baby' your TF10s some, I suppose.

I only brought up the case because of what happened to my friends - and I as an audiophile, have no wish to see people losing their IEMs/headphones due to careless or chance. It's painful to the heart and the wallet, you know.

Dec 17, 2008 at 8:40 AM Post #1,794 of 9,690
This isn't a recommendation, but i far from baby my TF10's and they have stood the test of time.

I barely ever use the box unless im on a trip, usually they just get put in a pocket with my iPod. I've actually been pretty impressed with their build quality.

(Now famous last words something will happen, so ill touch some wood for good measure
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Dec 17, 2008 at 8:47 AM Post #1,795 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by J.D.N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This isn't a recommendation, but i far from baby my TF10's and they have stood the test of time.

I barely ever use the box unless im on a trip, usually they just get put in a pocket with my iPod. I've actually been pretty impressed with their build quality.

(Now famous last words something will happen, so ill touch some wood for good measure
smily_headphones1.gif
)

X2

I always keep my TF10s in my coat pockets or hoodie pouches.

Dec 17, 2008 at 10:53 AM Post #1,796 of 9,690
Can't wait to pick up a pair
biggrin.gif

Also, if a product line generally has the same design, then of course the issue may be spread out to the entire line. However, UEs customer support is fabulous from what I hear (unless Logitech changed something), so I would suggest you talk to them at the first site of any problem, and have it fixed immediately to avoid the risk of problems progressing.

Dec 17, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #1,797 of 9,690
the cable is a major comfort issue with the TF.10, atleast for me, i roll them around my D2 when not in use, and they kind of taken up the curled shape, which makes them annoying when actually using the earphones,

im bailing on my triple.fi, im sorry but the cable, the tips, the comfort issues, i just dont think that a earphone that costed me 240 euros should have all these issues, i just cant enjoy them in peace,

Dec 17, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #1,798 of 9,690
mine failed within a week and a half. and I treated them like precious objects because they were my first set of really high end IEM's. with mine, not only did I have fit issues and all the cliche problems with the triples. but also the left bass driver failed and started being very distorted. then the right side cable failed around the memory wire. yes a cable issue on UE; who wouldve thought. i'm not going to continue to bag them because this is a UE thread. but just beware that there are issues. they do have great customer support though; but this wasnt enough to make me keep them. I live too far away from a UE service centre (australia) to have to send them back whenever something went wrong. my SE530 cable is still fine and I dont baby them anywhere near as much 5 months later. I think their (UE) customs are great though and may get UE10-11 some day because I hear the build on them is much better. and IMO nothing else would be a significant enough step up in SQ over my W3 with UM56 custom tips (pick them up friday)

Dec 17, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #1,799 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and IMO nothing else would be a significant enough step up in SQ over my W3 with UM56 custom tips (pick them up friday)

Heh heh heh, you should see the ACS T1 then.

They cost more than 2x the price of the Westone 3, but they have things a can have - soundstaging (reviews on it have marvelled at the fact that IEMs could even have soundstaging - and this one does), comfort (these are 100% customs like Livewire, but made with silicone), and I don't know, it's a jump in SQ for sure.

I apologise for derailment, but there's the link : Advanced Communication Solutions - ACS T1 Custom Triple Driver Monitors - SRP £649 and a review to boot : http://jaben.net/forums/index.php?topic=6204.0

Dec 17, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #1,800 of 9,690
Using for more than a month, i can only complaint on the length of the unit. The new iphone compatible cable is good, doesnt microphonic, kink or tangle up. The cable connectors are firm too. Fit and comfort wise, way better than um2 due to the design.

qusp, i know the frustration but no point making a general assumption that UE build suck. You just unlucky. My first pair iem, MylarOne, died twice before replaced with X3. So **** happen. UE problem is not as massive as Sleek though. I returned it in just 3 hours!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back