TRN impressions thread
Nov 3, 2019 at 12:24 AM Post #1,276 of 3,805
Thanks for the heads-up. In that case, will try to buy that one first before the TRN V90 :ksc75smile:

The point of diminishing returns for IEMs is $50, a price point where the likes of the Tin T2 and TRN V90 comfortably sit. Those are the best examples of absolute value for money (metal build, good enough cables, good tuning).

If you start to tread the $100 mark then you hit the likes of the Sennheiser Momentum, Ibasso IT01, and Fiio FH1, FA1, or F9 (they've gone cheaper). The plus you get in this price point is overall better accessories and a better overall package. In terms of sound, it's hard to upgrade from your Momentums. Maybe get the 1More Triple Drivers or Quad Drivers but their cables are non detachable. As I said you get great IEMs at $50 with detachable cables.

In a nutshell, you get better value under $50, always. But it depends on what you prefer. You usually get a more neutralish/accurate sound at $100 (this is the point of diminishing returns for over-ears). Audition your options if and when you can. Happy hunting, brother!

Nov 3, 2019 at 12:34 AM Post #1,277 of 3,805
The point of diminishing returns for IEMs is $50, a price point where the likes of the Tin T2 and TRN V90 comfortably sit. Those are the best examples of absolute value for money (metal build, good enough cables, good tuning).

If you start to tread the $100 mark then you hit the likes of the Sennheiser Momentum, Ibasso IT01, and Fiio FH1, FA1, or F9 (they've gone cheaper). The plus you get in this price point is overall better accessories and a better overall package. In terms of sound, it's hard to upgrade from your Momentums. Maybe get the 1More Triple Drivers or Quad Drivers but their cables are non detachable. As I said you get great IEMs at $50 with detachable cables.

In a nutshell, you get better value under $50, always. But it depends on what you prefer. You usually get a more neutralish/accurate sound at $100 (this is the point of diminishing returns for over-ears). Audition your options if and when you can. Happy hunting, brother!

Oh by the way, the IM2 is not veiled. They're just inoffensive. You can listen to them for hours. I own one. Try different tips, even foams, to get the sound you want. If you decide to grab one, I don't think you'll be dissappointed for what you'll pay. They complement the aggressive headphones in your collection (if you have any). Sennheiser is non-aggressive though. They're warmish/relaxed. I'm a Grado and Shure owner and if I want to relax a bit, I put on the IM2. Surprisingly, they are also good for rock. Check my review of them on the link below or read my final impressions a few pages back if that helps. :)

Nov 3, 2019 at 1:30 AM Post #1,278 of 3,805
Oh by the way, the IM2 is not veiled. They're just inoffensive. You can listen to them for hours. I own one. Try different tips, even foams, to get the sound you want. If you decide to grab one, I don't think you'll be dissappointed for what you'll pay. They complement the aggressive headphones in your collection (if you have any). Sennheiser is non-aggressive though. They're warmish/relaxed. I'm a Grado and Shure owner and if I want to relax a bit, I put on the IM2. Surprisingly, they are also good for rock. Check my review of them on the link below or read my final impressions a few pages back if that helps. :)

Thanks for your input Brother :ksc75smile: I just checked the current price of the Sennheiser Momentum In-ear (it was at 99 usd back when I purchased it wayback 2016) and it increased in price here in the Philippines at 120 USD mark, same is true for the iBasso IT01. Right now, I used a cheap KZ foam tips on and it somewhat changed the V-sound sig of it - to something natural and laid-back.

Yes, I will try to audition first the IM2 and V90 and will purchase an iBasso IT01 if my Sennheiser got broken.

Nov 3, 2019 at 5:45 AM Post #1,279 of 3,805

I have Fiio FH1, F9pro, 1 More Triple and Quad. They are from 2-3 year ago.
Given enormous progress if ChiFi, CCA C12 for instance is superior compared to all of them in everything sound and fit to my ears. Only minimal accessories by comparison, but to get all the different cables and tips is one of the fun part of this hobby :)

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 6:08 AM Post #1,280 of 3,805
couldn't wait for the sale and enjoy the V90 few days now. For that price they are simply luxurious! Very comfortable shell that does not stand out from the ears and you can sleep on them if you want. I never paid attention to color, but it's one of the little things that caught my eye on them. Navy blue is in artificial light rather purple, but in daylight is dark blue as in the photos, I like such magic. Definitely deserves a better cable

I found a perfect cable to compliment the color of the V90. Like you said, in some lighting it has a purplish tone. It does not have earhooks but it lies nicely over the ear for me. So soft.

As you can see in my photos the cable and the iem do vary in color depending on the light. Very luxurious.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33055425862.html

10371901.jpg

R0015599.JPG

Nov 3, 2019 at 6:18 AM Post #1,281 of 3,805
I found a perfect cable to compliment the color of the V90. Like you said, in some lighting it has a purplish tone. It does not have earhooks but it lies nicely over the ear for me. So soft.

As you can see in my photos the cable and the iem do vary in color depending on the light. Very luxurious.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33055425862.html

10371901.jpg

Looks beautiful as heck. Wish it was available here

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 6:32 AM Post #1,282 of 3,805

Given enormous progress if ChiFi, CCA C12 for instance is superior compared to all of them in everything sound and fit to my ears. Only minimal accessories by comparison, but to get all the different cables and tips is one of the fun part of this hobby :)

I think the past few years the CHIFI brands have really caught up to the western budget to midfi segment, and provided really great value for us who ain't loaded with cash. I personally would say the $50 - 100 USD CHIFI area is where the best price to performance ratio lies for the general public. Unless u are an audiophile, I think most layman consumers would be pretty happy with some of the sub $50 USD recent offerings like TRN V90, KZ ZSX, CCA C12, even the BLON BL-03. But for some folks here in this forum (like me unfortunately), we are not contented with this and wanna continually go down the rabbit hole to get better quality stuff at diminishing returns.

Just 2 - 3 years ago, a triple driver IEM from some western brands would be retailing at around $200 USD and north of it. Driver count and price is not as important as tuning of course, but I would say stuff like the KZ ZS10 Pro ($35 USD) can hit about 80% sound quality of my Westone W30 and Westone 3, which are 10 times more expensive. The Westone W30 in turn can hit about 80% sound quality of my Audiosense T800 ($298 USD), but the T800 is cheaper and is a "midfi" CHIFI. Today I auditioned a QDC Anole VX ($2K USD!!) for 30 min and was blown away by the sound. The T800 I would say can hit about 70 - 80% soundstage, details, clarity and instrument separation of the QDC Anole VX, though the latter is also more refined in tuning with no harsh peaks. I wanted to leave the store with the QDC Anole VX, but unfortunately it is about 1.5 months' salary for me, so it will remain a pipe dream forever =(.

Previously I've asked this question in the forums (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/how...een-totl-iem-headphones-to-midfi-gear.913609/) and most of the folks there seem to think the $1K USD mark is the point of diminishing returns, though they probably all own TOTL IEMs.

So there's better quality sound the higher u go up, but of course not all of us have deep pockets. It is subjective on whether u wanna chase after the 20% for diminishing returns, or are u contented with something that has better price to performance ratio like the TRN V90.

Nov 3, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #1,283 of 3,805

Nice! The C12 is also within that awesome budget range ($50). Glad you found that gem! 100% agree on tip rolling. :)

Nov 3, 2019 at 6:48 AM Post #1,284 of 3,805
I think the past few years the CHIFI brands have really caught up to the western budget to midfi segment, and provided really great value for us who ain't loaded with cash. I personally would say the $50 - 100 USD CHIFI area is where the best price to performance ratio lies for the general public. Unless u are an audiophile, I think most layman consumers would be pretty happy with some of the sub $50 USD recent offerings like TRN V90, KZ ZSX, CCA C12, even the BLON BL-03. But for some folks here in this forum (like me unfortunately), we are not contented with this and wanna continually go down the rabbit hole to get better quality stuff at diminishing returns.

Just 2 - 3 years ago, a triple driver IEM from some western brands would be retailing at around $200 USD and north of it. Driver count and price is not as important as tuning of course, but I would say stuff like the KZ ZS10 Pro ($35 USD) can hit about 80% sound quality of my Westone W30 and Westone 3, which are 10 times more expensive. The Westone W30 in turn can hit about 80% sound quality of my Audiosense T800 ($298 USD), but the T800 is cheaper and is a "midfi" CHIFI. Today I auditioned a QDC Anole VX ($2K USD!!) for 30 min and was blown away by the sound. The T800 I would say can hit about 70 - 80% soundstage, details, clarity and instrument separation of the QDC Anole VX, though the latter is also more refined in tuning with no harsh peaks. I wanted to leave the store with the QDC Anole VX, but unfortunately it is about 1.5 months' salary for me, so it will remain a pipe dream forever =(.

Previously I've asked this question in the forums (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/how...een-totl-iem-headphones-to-midfi-gear.913609/) and most of the folks there seem to think the $1K USD mark is the point of diminishing returns, though they probably all own TOTL IEMs.

So there's better quality sound the higher u go up, but of course not all of us have deep pockets. It is subjective on whether u wanna chase after the 20% for diminishing returns, or are u contented with something that has better price to performance ratio like the TRN V90.

Agree. It's a hobby. And as such, enjoyment is not tethered to price. You can find enjoyment anywhere, at whatever pricepoint you are comfortable spending on.

I would say that going for something like Westones is a great investment ESPECIALLY for professional use. If anything, higher price tiers provide a more lifelike tonality, natural sound. There are, however, mid-fi options that according to some, including Steve Guttenberg, put other thousands of dollars IEMs to shame like the Fiio FH5 (or FH7). Haven't tried both. But past $100, I'd go for an over-ear. Not so much of an IEM guy to be honest.

But since this is the TRN thread, I'd recommend the IM2 or a V90 any day. Haha! :)

Nov 3, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #1,286 of 3,805

In three years, the QDC Anole VX will sound like a child’s toy compared to the CCA C46 retailing at $34.99.

Nov 3, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #1,287 of 3,805
Thanks for your input Brother :ksc75smile: I just checked the current price of the Sennheiser Momentum In-ear (it was at 99 usd back when I purchased it wayback 2016) and it increased in price here in the Philippines at 120 USD mark, same is true for the iBasso IT01. Right now, I used a cheap KZ foam tips on and it somewhat changed the V-sound sig of it - to something natural and laid-back.

Yes, I will try to audition first the IM2 and V90 and will purchase an iBasso IT01 if my Sennheiser got broken.

Happy hunting to you! :)

Nov 3, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #1,289 of 3,805
Yeah, but the problem is I don't like to wait things for too long :frowning2:

If you can hold off until the 24th century, Star Trek replicators will allow the instantaneous delivery of everything lol

Me-waiting-for-my-package-to-come-in-like.jpg

Nov 3, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #1,290 of 3,805
Yeah, but the problem is I don't like to wait things for too long :frowning2:

Is it not better to wait than to not get it at all? That cable arrived 9 days after I ordered it. Is that so bad?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back