TRN impressions thread
Nov 5, 2019 at 5:55 AM Post #1,306 of 3,805
As I wrote, I am more suited to stock M size for better bass, but the blue widebore also holds well. I use both with those O-rings underneath.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #1,307 of 3,805
don't forget the coupons from the aliexpress app !

there you can exchange 10 USD (?) and 2 USD coupons against coins and those stack & win additional ones

so it's not just the (rather small at times) reduction of the regular price.

On topic:

I *really* hope someone gets to post some experiences on the TRN BA5 before 11:11

there's one confirmed purchase and successful reception but feedback is just "best shop on aliexpress" *facepalm :frowning2: *
I ordered a pair of BA5 a few hours ago. I couldn’t wait an extra week to be able to compare them to the CCA A10 and KZ AS12. So no impressions from me before 11/11. It looks like at least 20 to 30 have been sold so far. But who knows if it’s anyone that frequents these pages.

Nov 5, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #1,308 of 3,805
E73E4855-98F9-49D8-A90F-AB27D50BD34E.jpeg
No idea but I'd be interested in wide bore tips too. Thanks for asking! :)

I can only use the V90 and IM2 with wide Bore tips. Right now I have the ones that ship with the Tin P1 it I now have a metric sh$t Ton of the White Wide bores that ship with the TFZ sets.

The V90 shell is good small enough that it makes using any normal size tip impossible for me. 14mm seems to give me a good seal on smaller shells.

If the nozzle on the IM2 and V90 was extended just 2mm I think that would fix the problem for me.

Then we have the gargantuan shells that KZ/CCA pumps out with the AS12 and A10. I actually have to use a medium tip for an ideal fit with those sets. ZSX is just the right size for me although I still get a better seal with medium tips due to the longer and wider nozzle.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #1,309 of 3,805
I ordered a pair of BA5 a few hours ago. I couldn’t wait an extra week to be able to compare them to the CCA A10 and KZ AS12. So no impressions from me before 11/11. It looks like at least 20 to 30 have been sold so far. But who knows if it’s anyone that frequents these pages.

I ordered the BA5 when they were released. They are currently with Canada Post and I am expecting delivery either tomorrow or Thursday. Will post some initial impressions when they arrive.

Nov 6, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #1,311 of 3,805

I can only use the V90 and IM2 with wide Bore tips. Right now I have the ones that ship with the Tin P1 it I now have a metric sh$t Ton of the White Wide bores that ship with the TFZ sets.

The V90 shell is good small enough that it makes using any normal size tip impossible for me. 14mm seems to give me a good seal on smaller shells.

If the nozzle on the IM2 and V90 was extended just 2mm I think that would fix the problem for me.

Then we have the gargantuan shells that KZ/CCA pumps out with the AS12 and A10. I actually have to use a medium tip for an ideal fit with those sets. ZSX is just the right size for me although I still get a better seal with medium tips due to the longer and wider nozzle.

Thanks for all the info! :)

Nov 6, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #1,312 of 3,805
does the V90 have piercing/loud treble ? i really want a pair.. but to many raves have made my ears sensitive to treble :p

I have a pair of KZ ZS10.. i think those have the right amount of treble for my ears
i also have a pair of TFZ Series 2, but the treble is just to loud for me, so i have almost never used them

Nov 6, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #1,313 of 3,805
I received the TRN BA5 today and just spent some time doing some comparisons.

First let me say that they look much better in person than in the photos. The shells are a dark pewter colour with silver screen on the vent and silver screw. They are a little heavier than the V90 but fit very well so weight should not be an issue.

I would describe the BA5 as well balanced with a wider and airier than average sound stage. Instrument separation and detail is very good.

Compared to the X6 the BA5 has more bass and better extension in the treble. Where the X6 is warmer and more intimate the BA5 is wider and airier. Where the X6 provides a Mid driven presentation the added bass and treble extension of the BA5 gives a more balanced presentation. The wider stage and better instrument separation of the BA5 makes the BA5 sound more detailed.

Compared to the Audbos P4 the BA5 has slightly less bass but is more controlled and detailed. The background in the Mids of the P4 are muddy compared the BA5 and the treble of the P4 lacks the shimmer of the BA5.

The KZ AS10 has the most bass of the pure multi BA driver earphones that I own. The AS10 has good quality and well controlled bass. While the BA5 has less bass than the AS10 it has better treble extension leading to a more balanced signature. The BA5 has better instrument separation and detail than the AS10.

Compared to the TRN V90 the BA5's BA bass driver can't provide the fullness of bass that the V90's dynamic driver provides. Where the V90 has a fun presentation the BA5 is more analytical with the wider sound stage and instrument separation allowing the listener to better examine each instrument.

I believe that TRN has another very solid performer in the BA5 giving a level of detail and separation that I was looking for in a BA driver earphone.

Nov 6, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #1,314 of 3,805
Interesting, I like vents (like on the zs7) for the better soundstage and airier, less congested sound, this has my attention but I'd like to know how's the timbre on acoustic instruments (say sax) and how they compare to the DM6 before ordering. Thanks for the early impressions!

Nov 6, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #1,316 of 3,805
Another review of the TRN BA5 on Facebook with frequency response curve: (Thai)

https://www.facebook.com/notes/รีวิวหูฟังบัดเจ็ท/รีวิว-trn-ba5/718879098523610/

in addition to that it has a nice graphical summary of all characteristics in scores

open it with google chrome browser and use the on-the-fly translation to have everything in English

caveat: impressions only in combination with a custom cable from Nicehck (16-core):

>Reviewer has matched the cable with the TRN BA5 and decided to use a pure copper wire braided with 16 of NiceHCK in this review. Therefore, please readers that understand that The commentary and diagnosis of the points in this review are mainly based on the sound received from the use of this cable.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2019 at 3:22 AM Post #1,319 of 3,805
yeah, that too. I'm mainly concerned about natural timbre of acoustic instruments, because everything else seems to be pretty darn good.

I too am wondering about the BA5's timbre. I'm quite OCD about timbre as most of my music listening involves acoustic instruments, I know most consumers and even most reviewers are not too bothered about the area of timbre. But I gave away my **** and KZ ZS10 Pro due to their artificial timbre, even though they had excellent technicalities.

Honestly I feel between the 2 transducer types, DDs are better than BAs in the area of timbre of acoustic instruments, though the DDs may lose out in instrument separation/clarity/details. Even the most expensive all BA set I've ever auditioned (the QDC Anole VX [10 BA] that retails north of $2K USD) didn't sound as natural in the timbre department as the humble BLON BL-03 (single DD). So they've different strengths and weaknesses between the 2 driver types and I don't have high hopes for the TRN BA5's timbre, though it will probably be good in other areas and techinicalities.

Though lately, the CHIFI budget multi BAs/hybrids have upped their game and are sounding more natural (eg improvement in timbre from KZ ZS10 Pro to KZ ZSX), so maybe we can keep our fingers crossed about the BA5.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2019 at 4:39 AM Post #1,320 of 3,805
does the V90 have piercing/loud treble ? i really want a pair.. but to many raves have made my ears sensitive to treble :p

I have a pair of KZ ZS10.. i think those have the right amount of treble for my ears
i also have a pair of TFZ Series 2, but the treble is just to loud for me, so i have almost never used them
If you are sensitive to trble, so the V90 (and many other chi-fi too) may not be right for you. I can't compare it with the ZS10 or TFZ S2, but sometimes the V90 forces me to turn down the volume because of the roaring higher mids. With foam tips it's a bit better, but not everyone likes them. On the one hand with the V90 I hear what I missed on the V80, but sometimes I find it too much :) It depends a lot on the music style I listen to. Now I listen to Bring Me To Horizon and I had to use foam tips for vocals, but for quieter genres heights suits me as they are with stock tips. It may be difficult to find the ideal compromise between plenty of detail and relaxed listening when you listen to different genres.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back