TRN impressions thread
Nov 10, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #1,336 of 3,807
it’s possible that the bass driver is a vented driver. If not, then it’s just for looks.
Isn't just for looks Slater, sound and feel like open backs only more comfortable really airy, MOOSIVE soundstage, for a 50 buck 5ba iem.
Was laying in bed after the tunes played out and had this strange effect of almost amplifying the TV in background, like the earphones were playing it, not noticed this when music's playing fortunately

Listening to a bit of Neil Young unplugged flac now, like I'm in the audience.

Oh and they feel and look Boss!!

Nov 10, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #1,337 of 3,807
Honestly these decimate the v90, zsx, T2, T3 and c12 maybe eventthe C16 imo unless your craving sub bass, a cleaner better represented sound throughout

So in your opinion, the CCA C16>TRN BA5?

Isn't just for looks Slater, sound and feel like open backs only more comfortable really airy, MOOSIVE soundstage, for a 50 buck 5ba iem.

Good to know. It sounds like 1 or more of the BAs are vented then

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #1,338 of 3,807
Unless your a total bass head that 3 30095 configuration is a stroke of genius, I was sceptical but they've tuned the ba5 to be the best resolved treble I've heard sub £50, maybe more. Much better detail than the T3, bigger more accurate soundstage and positioning than the T2, still lovely detail in the mids, female vocals sound awesome, bass is just right for me. Trn know how to tune their multidrivers (well been a few flops) but the V80 was an exiting 4 driver and V90 a more neutral better resolved iteration. The ba5 has the excitement of the V80 but better resolution and just more awesome clarity than v90. Its the best sub 50 I've had or tried. Be gutted if go's unnoticed
I was thinking about getting these.
How do they compare to the V90 in terms of fit, isolation, & running them from an iPod?

Nov 10, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #1,339 of 3,807
That sounds very promising! I love the treble on the T3 and V90 and enjoy tight BA bass and a large soundstage, so it sounds like I'll enjoy this one.

I wouldn't normally encourage someone to part with their cash but if you like treble and detail these are the best tuned I've heard, notably cleaner than the T3 (and most I've heard for some time) grab a set can't see many deals on 11.11 but for £35 it's a no brainer for me, first set I've been blown away by for some time.

Nov 10, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #1,340 of 3,807
I was thinking about getting these.
How do they compare to the V90 in terms of fit, isolation, & running them from an iPod?

Isolations great externally but almost like a semi open back but to wear. Far cleaner resolution to the v90, if you really need sub bass in your life stick to the v90 but for everything else the ba5's far better imo. Really easy to drive so an ipod'l be fine amp nicely to with my Sonata idsd plus dac sound just expands

Nov 10, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #1,341 of 3,807
So in your opinion, the CCA C16>TRN BA5?

It's close, without having a set of C16 at hand (sold in a fisc9bleek month) but from memory absolutely better higher frequency resolution, the C16 had more bass. Broadly speaking if you wanted a more bass focused the C16 if you wanted better high end the ba5. It hits that sweet spot in treble where soundstage ,clarity and airyness live

Good to know. It sounds like 1 or more of the BAs are vented then

Nov 10, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #1,343 of 3,807
It's close, without having a set of C16 at hand (sold in a fisc9bleek month) but from memory absolutely better higher frequency resolution, the C16 had more bass.

OK, thanks for the clarification.

The C16 are way too bass light for me. So it sounds like the BA5 are definitely not for me.

Nov 10, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #1,344 of 3,807
OK, thanks for the clarification.

The C16 are way too bass light for me. So it sounds like the BA5 are definitely not for me.

If the c16's to bass light, definitely not for you. Do kind of think their worth having in a collection thoughif your that way inclined (or flush) even if not your thing. Gunna try them with a couple of foamies see how the base behaves then

Nov 10, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #1,345 of 3,807
Hi people, nice to see a non kz, CCA or Tin thread. Just to say I took an early order of these this week and their superb and they do live up to the slightly rediculous name 'golden ears'. I've had a couple of 5 BA's before (as10 cca10) which were fine but kind of dull at times and confused in comparison taking that upper mid just makes these cleaner sounding.

Trn have been really nailing their tuning from the V80 to the far more refined V90 the ba5 leaps ahead. Was weary of the 3 30095 high frequency BA's expecting a simblant v shaped mess but oh no, its a stroke of genius. The trebles so perfectly resolved I'd put detail on par with my P1's yet with a massive high ,deap and wide soundstage positioning just so! Mids are slightly veiled so I'd describe as slightly u shaped but that just makes them more engaging imo. Bass is nicely resolved BA's so obviously no sub bass but that's fine in the most. They are slightly bright I'd describe as more crystal clear than sparkling. Beautifully resolved beautifully tuned.
Those vents do do something almost like a set of open back cans and really add to that airyness.

They look awesome I've set mine up with the TRN T1 gold and silver 8 core braided and a set of spinfit CP100's and I can bearly feel I'm wearing them.

Honestly these decimate the v90, zsx, T2, T3 and c12 maybe eventthe C16 imo unless your craving sub bass, a cleaner better represented sound throughout

Do acoustic instruments like sax sound natural on them?

Very interested, love vented design and happily trade isolation for it tbh

But 36€ for 5BAs? There has to be a caveat. Please come down from your honeymoon and tell us lol

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #1,346 of 3,807
Having spent more time with the BA5 I wanted to add to my initial thoughts about the earphone. I find TRN to be a very interesting company as their is no TRN sound, each release is something new and different and the BA5 is no different. On one of the other threads there was a recent discussion as to whether a single dynamic driver was better or a whether a multi BA earphone was better. I don't believe there is a correct answer to this question but it can not be denied that each has pros and cons. What I believe TRN did with the BA5 is to build a multi BA earphone that took into account the strengths of BA drivers and did not try to compensate in those areas where Dynamic drivers excel. Where the Blon BL03 is praised for Timbre, Tone and Coherency the BA5 has to be praised for Clarity, Instrument Separation, Balance, Soundstage and Quick Decay. Even though I like both of these earphones very much their presentation is very different.

Of the things I have noted about the BA5 since I initially received them, the first is what isn't there. The background is very clean, when the music stops the silence is notable. The second is the soundstage which isn't just wide but has good height and depth providing a 3D effect.

Although other earphones have more bass, the BA5 has good bass with good detail and quick decay. The balance between bass, mids and treble provides a full presentation where the bass is presented at a level that lets the mids and treble shine.

My listening preferences change with my mood. Some days I want to listen to the music as a single unit and at other times I want to immerse myself into the music, isolating and examining individual instruments. The BA5s level of instrument separation and detail allows you to easily isolate and examine each vocal presentation and instrument within the music.

I believe that TRN deserves a lot of praise for what they have achieved with the BA5.

Nov 10, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #1,347 of 3,807
Having spent more time with the BA5 I wanted to add to my initial thoughts about the earphone. I find TRN to be a very interesting company as their is no TRN sound, each release is something new and different and the BA5 is no different. On one of the other threads there was a recent discussion as to whether a single dynamic driver was better or a whether a multi BA earphone was better. I don't believe there is a correct answer to this question but it can not be denied that each has pros and cons. What I believe TRN did with the BA5 is to build a multi BA earphone that took into account the strengths of BA drivers and did not try to compensate in those areas where Dynamic drivers excel. Where the Blon BL03 is praised for Timbre, Tone and Coherency the BA5 has to be praised for Clarity, Instrument Separation, Balance, Soundstage and Quick Decay. Even though I like both of these earphones very much their presentation is very different.

Of the things I have noted about the BA5 since I initially received them, the first is what isn't there. The background is very clean, when the music stops the silence is notable. The second is the soundstage which isn't just wide but has good height and depth providing a 3D effect.

Although other earphones have more bass, the BA5 has good bass with good detail and quick decay. The balance between bass, mids and treble provides a full presentation where the bass is presented at a level that lets the mids and treble shine.

My listening preferences change with my mood. Some days I want to listen to the music as a single unit and at other times I want to immerse myself into the music, isolating and examining individual instruments. The BA5s level of instrument separation and detail allows you to easily isolate and examine each vocal presentation and instrument within the music.

I believe that TRN deserves a lot of praise for what they have achieved with the BA5.

That's helpful, thanks. How would you rate the timbre, compared to the blon? Ok, passable, off, not far off...

Nov 10, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #1,349 of 3,807
I am not an expert on the natural sound of the Sax but some vocals can lack warmth and can come across as a bit dry. Don't know if you can relate this to the Sax. This is not a negative to me but I'm sure it will be to some.

No problem mate, no need to be an expert, if you have time and are willing to do a little test you can fire this song on the blon then on the BA5 and tell us if it sounds metallic or otherwise unnatural, mind you I'm not expecting perfection, but for instance the KZ Hybrids Sound a bit harsh on that kind of tracks. No rush etc. would just be interesting :)

Nov 10, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #1,350 of 3,807
Hi. As full Ballanced Armature sets go it's pretty natural, it's definitely on the cool side but to my ears has a 'realistic' representation, that lack of reverb you get with a pure ba set up does take away a little warmth to both low and high frequencies. I personally haven't noticed that 'metalic' unnatural sound I've found in kz and CCA's etc. Listening to your Sonny Rollins it sounds the sax sounds very real and certainly not devoid of emotion. I'd use the analogy of vinyl to CD (analogue to digital). It's definitely the best full BA system anywhere near the price. The blons got more bass, more emotion but the accurate detail retrieval (can hear subtle background conversations between band members in the background of this recording for example) and positioning better on the ba5 imo. From the current crop of sub 50usd think these would be my votes. If you wanted more bass and warmth go for the dd in the blon bl-03 if you want accuracy but still absolutely natural I'd favour the ba5 (it's also incredibly comfortable which is definitely an issue for eg the blon)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back