TRN impressions thread
Oct 21, 2019 at 4:50 AM Post #1,246 of 3,805
Sorry but I don't really like the BLON BL-03 design. It's weird and I may have problems with the fit. And the look overall. I know it's a shallow reason because we should judge stuff mostly by how they sound but I prefer a complete package if you will - good looks, good sound, good build. So I skipped the BLONs. Based on reviews so far, they may be sonically superior to the IM2, even far superior as some may say. But I gotta be honest. I can't get myself to like or buy them...yet. Not much of a help but I hope some might give you a better answer. :)

This is probably my last post in this thread. If I purchase another TRN later this year, will let you guys know.

I'd like to emphasize that more than cables, tips actually make a lot more difference in sound. Other than aesthetics and durability, cables do not actually alter the sound, at least to my ears. I buy better cables for longevity and looks more than anything else. I love the 4.4 pentaconn because they feel really solid and because more power is pushed through the 4.4 ports in most DAPs.

Anyway, in the topic of tips, TRN usually includes 3 in the box - small, medium (red tipped), and large. For the IM2, the small tips go deeper into the ear, thus producing more bass. It's the least fatiguing sound but also have the least treble overall. The medium ones (red tipped) come pre-installed. They don't go deeper but they block more of the outer ear canal. The effect is more treble and lesser bass than the small tips. The large ones have the shallowest fit thus producing lesser bass and probably also lesser treble than the medium ones. Your mileage may vary. If you are treble sensitive (or a basshead) then maybe use the small ones. If you crave some brightness, then medium. If you have bigger than average ears, then the large ones may produce the best results. It's nice that you can have 3 different sound profiles just by tip rolling. Zeos always suggest tip rolling and I'm glad that it actually works (coming from a non-IEM guy). After much testing, I settled for the medium tips. It gives better balance between bass and treble and gives a much needed "bite" from guitars, sax, and other instruments that need it. Surprisingly, the IM2 sounds more open and less dark with the medium tips and I got to appreciate them more.

That's it folks! I hope this helps, if at all. As always, happy listening!

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019 at 5:30 AM Post #1,247 of 3,805
New TRN guys... TRN BA5, some AliExpress sellers just put it in their catalog.

Some observations:
- metal construction like the V90
- they started using the QDC/KZ style connectors
- the old logo is back (the non circle one) - which I find it nicer
- thy look a bit like the new TFZ King Edition

Let's hope these sound better than the CCA A10/KBEAR KB10. The design and built looks awesome.

H080f2887485a4f0a859ea1f77807dec4P.jpg

H884ddf79d1924a948c7655cdb6437b21T.jpg

Hd6bfa4b8c7af46a9ba6a6f346830011cp.jpg

Oct 24, 2019 at 6:43 AM Post #1,248 of 3,805

Some observations:

Let's hope these sound better than the CCA A10/KBEAR KB10. The design and built looks awesome.

too much tweeter, not enough woofer

Oct 24, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #1,249 of 3,805

Some observations:

It's good that they went with Paragraph C connector. My X6 2-pin became very loose that I need tape to keep my cable on.

Oct 24, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #1,250 of 3,805

Some observations:

What a pity they used the 30095 and not the 30019 as in the V90!

Oct 24, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #1,251 of 3,805
Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #1,252 of 3,805
As if the 5BA TRN wasn't enough... Behold - a golden V80!
Screenshot_2019-10-24-16-15-44-904_com.twitter.android.jpg

Oct 24, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #1,253 of 3,805
As if the 5BA TRN wasn't enough... Behold - a golden V80!

That's a wicked bling bling set. Really lives up to the name golden ears.

Oct 24, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #1,254 of 3,805
Why is there a airvent on a fill ba iem

Oct 26, 2019 at 11:35 PM Post #1,256 of 3,805
@Slater

This is my first time in Head-fi and I must say that I learned a great deal from your input from cables to iem's. I'm looking into buying another pair of IEMs and I stumbled upon this thread (for TRN), I've read from page 1 to 84 and so far it seems that TRN V90 and IM2 are the current talk of the town. From your opinion which among the two will you pick? I will use 16-core TRN cable as per your advice from the previous page as it seems it didn't have any Quality (Solder, wires used etc.) issues unlike the 6 and 8 core which is a hit or miss scenario. Also, would it be much wiser to just keep this funds and add it to the overall budget for purchases like iBasso IT01 or IT01s?

Btw, I have a Sennheiser Momentum In-Ear which I've had the stock cable removed (as it melted due to wear and tear) and replaced with 6-core TRN cable, though I'm not sure if this is part of the good batch - so far I didn't notice any sound degradation. And Sound Magic E10S (which I had replaced with the TRN stock cable as the port is too small for it to accommodate 8 or 16 core cables).

Thanks in advance for the enlightenment.

Sincerely,
Confused Audiophile.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2019 at 12:45 AM Post #1,257 of 3,805
@Slater

This is my first time in Head-fi and I must say that I learned a great deal from your input from cables to iem's. I'm looking into buying another pair of IEMs and I stumbled upon this thread (for TRN), I've read from page 1 to 84 and so far it seems that TRN V90 and IM2 are the current talk of the town. From your opinion which among the two will you pick? I will use 16-core TRN cable as per your advice from the previous page as it seems it didn't have any Quality (Solder, wires used etc.) issues unlike the 6 and 8 core which is a hit or miss scenario. Also, would it be much wiser to just keep this funds and add it to the overall budget for purchases like iBasso IT01 or IT01s?

Btw, I have a Sennheiser Momentum In-Ear which I've had the stock cable removed (as it melted due to wear and tear) and replaced with 6-core TRN cable, though I'm not sure if this is part of the good batch - so far I didn't notice any sound degradation. And Sound Magic E10S (which I had replaced with the TRN stock cable as the port is too small for it to accommodate 8 or 16 core cables).

Sincerely,
Confused Audiophile.

I’m no @Slater and don’t have 84 pages of wisdom for you to summarize, or any for that matter. But I do own both the IM2 and V90.

It isn’t possible to answer which is objectively better, only individual preferences, genres, ear anatomy etc. For example, many rave about the IM2. But to my ear, it sounds like a oil pan filled with muddy dishwater. The V90, on the other hand, is a fun, bounce house where each note jumps on a trampoline of fun before it enters your ear holes.

Am I right? No. I’m just describing my experience, the way you and I would describe a pear differently to someone who has never before tasted one. Someone else may have the opposite opinion. The hunt is not only for the best IEM, but the best IEM for you, and someone whose tastes and opinions align with your own.

Enjoy the journey!

Oct 27, 2019 at 1:33 AM Post #1,258 of 3,805
I’m no @Slater and don’t have 84 pages of wisdom for you to summarize, or any for that matter. But I do own both the IM2 and V90.

It isn’t possible to answer which is objectively better, only individual preferences, genres, ear anatomy etc. For example, many rave about the IM2. But to my ear, it sounds like a oil pan filled with muddy dishwater. The V90, on the other hand, is a fun, bounce house where each note jumps on a trampoline of fun before it enters your ear holes.

Am I right? No. I’m just describing my experience, the way you and I would describe a pear differently to someone who has never before tasted one. Someone else may have the opposite opinion. The hunt is not only for the best IEM, but the best IEM for you, and someone whose tastes and opinions align with your own.

Enjoy the journey!

Thanks for your input. I figured since IM2 price is down on the lower bracket for me to justify it's SQ compared to the ones I already have, thanks to you, I've now narrowed down my options to V90 and iBasso IT01 - the (S) version kind of too expensive though I'm willing to expand my budget if the SQ is really that much improved.

I know that this hobby is really hungry on the wallet but I do have a store where I can audition first the units so I can make a final decision - and make a wise purchase as opposed to ordering it online.

Oct 27, 2019 at 6:26 AM Post #1,259 of 3,805
@Slater

Sincerely,
Confused Audiophile.

Believe it or not, I don’t own a single TRN IEM. So I wouldn’t be much help on comparing the 2 models you have listed.

It does seem that the V90 is universally liked, and if there was any TRN IEM I would consider buying, it would be the V90.

Be sure to let us know whatever you end up getting, and how you like it!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #1,260 of 3,805
Believe it or not, I don’t own a single TRN IEM. So I wouldn’t be much help on comparing the 2 models you have listed.

It does seem that the V90 is universally liked, and if they was any TRN IEM I would consider buying, it would be the V90.

Be sure to let us know whatever you end up getting, and how you like it!

Thanks for your advise. Hm.. In that case I will purchase this along with iBasso IT01 (gonna search for another thread for the latter as I heard there's a mod to improve further its SQ)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back