Top 5 Closed Back Cans
May 23, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #16 of 72
Bravo. +1 to you sir. The problem now is that this is not the first time the Kenwood KH-K1000 has popped up on my radar, and now I want one... Damn it I just bought the D7k, owell I will stick with it.
Denon + Fiio E10 is my recommendation, a DAC is more important then an amp, and the E10 can amp well enough. Its a value buy.
But after reading this I would try stretch for the Kenwoods

Haven't heard the D7000 - really wasn't interested because they're still D2000s (editor's note: I'm being facetious). Honestly the Denon's are good 'phones - I just like the Kenwoods better (and at this point I'm convinced it's grown into fanboi-ism, because anything (dynamic and that isn't the MDR-F1) I demo anymore it's just "where does this fail against the K1000?" not "what are this product's strengths and weaknesses?"). :rolleyes: If I had to give a more detailed account - they're more laid-back and smoother sounding. Sort of like an HD 580/600 vs a K701 (this is a bad analogy, but hopefully you get the idea).

May 23, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #17 of 72
If you miss out on the denon line before they are replaced, I'd say that you've missed something pretty special. I keep two cans on my desktop. He400 and one of the denons. If you are looking at the fiio e10, the e17 sounds a good bit better.

gL!!

May 23, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #18 of 72
Quote:
Haven't heard the D7000 - really wasn't interested because they're still D2000s (editor's note: I'm being facetious). Honestly the Denon's are good 'phones - I just like the Kenwoods better (and at this point I'm convinced it's grown into fanboi-ism, because anything (dynamic and that isn't the MDR-F1) I demo anymore it's just "where does this fail against the K1000?" not "what are this product's strengths and weaknesses?").
rolleyes.gif
If I had to give a more detailed account - they're more laid-back and smoother sounding. Sort of like an HD 580/600 vs a K701 (this is a bad analogy, but hopefully you get the idea).

Sorry to OP to derail a bit, but I am interested here. You say the Kenwoods are even more relaxing then the Denon D2000???? Wow thats what I love about them, IMHO the D2k is still more relaxing then the D7k, and I kind of miss that....

Fanboi-ism or not (and I could easily be construed as a fanboy) the... actually I am going to write an article and post it up here in a few days I am going to title "The list of Criteria" and one of the sub articles is what I have called the Denon D2000 Phenomenon, where I explain why it has seen the success here it has. So your just going to haveto wait a while 
rolleyes.gif

May 23, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #19 of 72
So... from what I have heard/had/have (closed cans):

1) Denon D5000
2) Shure SRh940
3) Audio Technica A900X
4) V-Moda M80
5) Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80

On the mail I have the Ultrasone Signature Pro coming... maybe they will unseat a couple from this list...

If you are going with "popular" views, my guess/bet is that something similar to this is what you'll see:

1) Fostex TH900
2) AT W3000 ANV
3) Ultrasone Signature Pro
4) Ultrasone Edition 8s
5) Denon series

:p

May 23, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #20 of 72
Quote:
So... from what I have heard/had/have (closed cans):

1) Denon D5000
2) Shure SRh940
3) Audio Technica A900X
4) V-Moda M80
5) Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80

On the mail I have the Ultrasone Signature Pro coming... maybe they will unseat a couple from this list...

If you are going with "popular" views, my guess/bet is that something similar to this is what you'll see:

1) Fostex TH900
2) AT W3000 ANV
3) Ultrasone Signature Pro
4) Ultrasone Edition 8s
5) Denon series

:p

I would think position 4 and 5 are equal, depending on your preferences, most will prefer the smooth denons over the ED8

but nice classification. You just left out the Kenwoods and I think Sony R10

May 23, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #21 of 72
The Denon D7000 are a lot better than the D2000. They are not on the same level. Both leak sound like nobody's business, to a point where you can almost consider them open headphones. 
biggrin.gif

May 23, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #22 of 72
I think KRK 8400 belongs in the list too(though I've not compared them to the headphones above).

May 23, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #23 of 72
Quote:
What did you pair them with? And the only reason the K550 replaced the Denon is because the Denon is discontinued and its the closest functional and ss copy.
If value is a criteria then D2000, if not the bigger the better, and even some LA mods while we are at it.
Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk 2

I do all of my A/B comparing with my m903 fed via USB2 using lossless music from CD.

May 23, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #24 of 72
There is no use listing the R10s or the Kenwoods as they're extremely hard to get.

I'd put the R10s above the rest however. They're pretty damn good. i'm not sure about the THD900s or the 3000ANV but they're defo on par with the sigpros with a larger soundstage.

May 23, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #25 of 72
Quote:
I think KRK 8400 belongs in the list too(though I've not compared them to the headphones above).

I considered them in my list just because I tried them at home while recording and liked them BUT for purely music listening I didn't find them as engaging as the others in my list. I'm pretty sure a couple of ppl would add them in their Top 5 for sure.!

May 23, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #26 of 72
Surprised no one has really brought up the Beyerdynamics t5p. To me they are very close to the t1 but in a closed form.

May 23, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #27 of 72
Quote:
There is no use listing the R10s or the Kenwoods as they're extremely hard to get.

Why would you categorize Kenwoods as hard to get? Simply go to Audiocubes (or eBay) and order. They are available 24/7.

It's a completely different matter whether they are worth the $400 resulting from bad currency ratio. But you can order them anytime you want.

PS. Mine are for sale anyway, and I saw another pair also..

May 23, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #28 of 72
Why would you categorize Kenwoods as hard to get? Simply go to Audiocubes (or eBay) and order. They are available 24/7.

It's a completely different matter whether they are worth the $400 resulting from bad currency ratio. But you can order them anytime you want.

PS. Mine are for sale anyway, and I saw another pair also..

PriceJapan has them too. As far as the pricing - last I saw PJ wanted like $450, and AC wanted $400. List is around 37,000 yen, which tmk is around $500 (when I bought mine this is what it was). No, it isn't as simple as one-click on Amazon, but AC is great to deal with. Like I said, the D2000 or D5000 has a lot of pragmatic advantages for being "close enough" - and the woodies look cool.

May 23, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #29 of 72
Quote:
Also Denons leak sound quite badly

Yep...physically they are closed headphones, but they behave like open headphones.

Then there's the fact that they are discontinued and it appears that Denon does not have replacement parts for repair (should you require it).
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back