Top 5 Closed Back Cans
May 23, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #31 of 72
Quote:
I feel like I'm going crazy. My denons don't leak at all unless you're listening at pretty loud volumes. Am I the only one?

They definitely fail my "wife test" when she's in the room. I normally listen to between 75-78dB. I can easily hear what's going on in the room when I had them on too. So yes, you're the only one.
tongue.gif

May 23, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #32 of 72
I feel like I'm going crazy. My denons don't leak at all unless you're listening at pretty loud volumes. Am I the only one?

Eh, maybe not. You might just listen quiet - that's a good thing imo.

When I had the D2000s, they isolated more than my other cans (okay so they can beat up on Grados, the Senn HD 580, and the Sony MDR-F1; that's such an accomplishment!), but they don't isolate as much as a more conventional closed can (like say, the Senn HD 280 or Beyer T70). They leak sound in and out worse than most closed cans, but not as bad as something like the MDR-F1. The Kenwoods are better in this regard, the Beyer T70 and etc are much better.

If you're only used to closed headphones, the Denons are very leaky I suspect, but if you're only used to open cans, they're pretty decent. I found their isolation good enough for my usage. I listen fairly low, and in a fairly quiet room. If you intend to use your cans on the train or something though, I would look beyond the D2000/5000/7000 to something more robust. The Beyer T70p is probably a good candidate (imho the SQ isn't as good, but they isolate very well, are built very well, come with a nice case, and sound better than lots of other "portable hi-fi" sets like the ESW9 or whatever else).

May 23, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #33 of 72
Quote:
Eh, maybe not. You might just listen quiet - that's a good thing imo.
When I had the D2000s, they isolated more than my other cans (okay so they can beat up on Grados, the Senn HD 580, and the Sony MDR-F1; that's such an accomplishment!), but they don't isolate as much as a more conventional closed can (like say, the Senn HD 280 or Beyer T70). They leak sound in and out worse than most closed cans, but not as bad as something like the MDR-F1. The Kenwoods are better in this regard, the Beyer T70 and etc are much better.
If you're only used to closed headphones, the Denons are very leaky I suspect, but if you're only used to open cans, they're pretty decent. I found their isolation good enough for my usage. I listen fairly low, and in a fairly quiet room. If you intend to use your cans on the train or something though, I would look beyond the D2000/5000/7000 to something more robust. The Beyer T70p is probably a good candidate (imho the SQ isn't as good, but they isolate very well, are built very well, come with a nice case, and sound better than lots of other "portable hi-fi" sets like the ESW9 or whatever else).

I've only owned closed cans. :/
Though admittedly, my other current cans are the modded T50rp's with 3/4 bass ports covered, so I'd call that semi-semi-semi open.

May 24, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #34 of 72

your in a small minority, or its low listening volume

I do all of my A/B comparing with my m903 fed via USB2 using lossless music from CD.

nice gear, but is suspect the culprit is your low listening volume.

Let me explain , the denons suck at low levels, especially compared to my AKG K242HD, they need some decent current to sound best, so that could definately explain your sentiments. For that reason I don't recommend them for low volume listeners. It could be my STX mind you... but I doubt it.

May 24, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #36 of 72
I feel as though I've been milking it lately, but are there any ATH-M50 voters out there?

May 24, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #37 of 72
I feel as though I've been milking it lately, but are there any ATH-M50 voters out there?

I've never heard the M50, but based on the lower ATH-M models, and other studio headphones, I'm going to say they're probably not in the same league as many of the other cans being discussed here. It's nothing personal, or even against the M50 (or studio headphones in general); there's just a higher order of things once you start spending more money. IME most studio 'phones are fairly "closed in" sounding and usually have some fatal flaw at either end of the FR.

Of course I could be entirely wrong, and the M50s might be better than anything I've ever used or owned. :xf_eek:

Again, I'm not trying to trash on your input - there's actually a few ~$100 cans I'd consider very good in the genre of closed back, but I wouldn't consider them world-beaters. If that makes any sense. Maybe I took the title too much to heart. (doh! :basshead:). And just as I've gotten people interested in the K1000; you've made me want to look at the M50 again...:beerchug:

May 24, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #38 of 72
Quote:
Hallelujah!
They really do change character as you crank'em up. They seem to encourage loud listening (just like a Mustang GT encourages speeding
very_evil_smiley.gif
).

No seriously its the truth. I figured it out a while ago. I think around 85dB is where its good.

May 24, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #39 of 72
Quote:
I've never heard the M50, but based on the lower ATH-M models, and other studio headphones, I'm going to say they're probably not in the same league as many of the other cans being discussed here. It's nothing personal, or even against the M50 (or studio headphones in general); there's just a higher order of things once you start spending more money. IME most studio 'phones are fairly "closed in" sounding and usually have some fatal flaw at either end of the FR.
Of course I could be entirely wrong, and the M50s might be better than anything I've ever used or owned.
redface.gif

I guess my situation is the exact opposite as I've never heard anything from a higher class of headphones than the M50. Before the M50, my most deluxe pair of headphones was the Fostex T20.

May 24, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #41 of 72
I guess my situation is the exact opposite as I've never heard anything from a higher class of headphones than the M50. Before the M50, my most deluxe pair of headphones was the Fostex T20.

Yeah, I'm not trying to make a classist argument (really sorry if it came across that way :xf_eek:) - there's tons of great inexpensive cans out there, and sometimes the expensive ones are just horrible (and the high price just makes it worse). For example the Sennheiser HD 280 is a good can, and I can't really fault it overall, especially at $99. But I wouldn't put it on the same level as the K1000 or D2000. That said, something like the T70 is an insult at $669 (at $399 it's not so bad though).

I might just have to pick up a pair of M50s and give them a shot - wouldn't be the first time I've been very surprised by a dark horse. :cool:

What do you guys use for a decibel meter? Does it need to have an adapter to seal off the pad?

The common thinking is a piece of cardboard (or something) rubber-banded to the pad with a hole poked in it for the probe. There's also the Ratsound method where you put the probe in while you're wearing them (this can be insane if you're trying to see how loud they go or something - you also need a small-ish probe). And finally there's the expensive way that Tyll and GE do it, with a HATS.

Cheap ratshack meter will work for most "how loud is this" or "do I need a permit" questions; for precision work (like calibrating things), get precision tools.

May 24, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #42 of 72
Quote:
Ultrasone Signature Pro > Ultrasone Edition 8 > Denon D7000 = Audio Techinca ATH W5000 > Beyerdynamic T5p

The ones I've not heard but are reputedly top tier as well are the Fostex THD900 and the ATH w3000ANV

^ I see no mention of Sony R10 - OP said price range doesn't matter 
biggrin.gif
 kekekeke.  Nice list though, I don't think I have heard any of these headphones, but it looks pretty spot on to me.

May 24, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #45 of 72
Quote:
I might just have to pick up a pair of M50s and give them a shot - wouldn't be the first time I've been very surprised by a dark horse.
cool.gif

Go for it! They go for around $150 to 160-ish these days. I really would like to get an opinion from a more "educated" set of ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back