Thunderpants!
Oct 8, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #1,757 of 2,225

Quote:
a lot of people really like the Cavalli CTH with the thunderpants..

I would suggest putting part of your budget towards a dac as well. I've heard good things about the gamma 2. 

haven't heard any of this though

I listened to all the positive praise about the CTH + TP pairing and got myself a CTH in preparation for Smeggy to finish my TPs.  It's a great amp, there's no denying that.  And they sound wonderful together.  BUT,  and this is kind of a big but, if you, like myself, like to listen at very high volumes, you may encounter the same problem I have on many occasions.  There's a protective circuit built into the CTH, I believe it's called e12 (please correct me if I'm wrong on that), and this circuit will cut the amp out (the happy green light goes to red) until you turn it down again and sound returns.  

Again, I must stress this is only when listening at really high volumes.  As a lover of pounding bass-lines and electronic music, this happens to me quite a bit.  Smeggy told me he had the same problem with his own CTH and had the circuit disabled, but this is apparently not something the average mortal can do.  If you can build a CTH, you can probably do it.  Or have the builder do it.  As for me, I'm planning to get a Lyr at some point because A.  It's a hybrid, and TPs seem to love hybrids.  and B.  It's designed to output a metric ass-load of juice, so I doubt I'd have the same issue there.  

Oct 8, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #1,758 of 2,225
bypassing the protection circuit would be an easy thing to do.
Then again, if you are listening at those volumes, i would rethink that honestly if you care about your hearing ability.

i know about the cutting out at high volumes and that would be ear splitting for me personally cauase it would be at the 2 o clock position and beyond

Oct 8, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #1,759 of 2,225

Quote:
bypassing the protection circuit would be an easy thing to do.
Then again, if you are listening at those volumes, i would rethink that honestly if you care about your hearing ability.

i know about the cutting out at high volumes and that would be ear splitting for me personally cauase it would be at the 2 o clock position and beyond
L3000.gif

Oct 9, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #1,760 of 2,225

Quote:
Again, I must stress this is only when listening at really high volumes.  As a lover of pounding bass-lines and electronic music, this happens to me quite a bit.  Smeggy told me he had the same problem with his own CTH and had the circuit disabled, but this is apparently not something the average mortal can do.  If you can build a CTH, you can probably do it.  Or have the builder do it.  As for me, I'm planning to get a Lyr at some point because A.  It's a hybrid, and TPs seem to love hybrids.  and B.  It's designed to output a metric ass-load of juice, so I doubt I'd have the same issue there.  

basshead.gif

Dude, hearing loss is forever.  Perhaps you should consider this a hearing protection circuit?  Just saying...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 9, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #1,762 of 2,225

Quote:
basshead.gif

Dude, hearing loss is forever.  Perhaps you should consider this a hearing protection circuit?  Just saying...

To be fair, loud listening is like deep scuba diving.  You can do it without damage but you have to keep to the rules.

http://gilmore2.chem.northwestern.edu/articles/hearing_art.htm

Oct 9, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #1,763 of 2,225
Thanks for the kind words on the behalf of my ears good sirs and/or madams.  They, (meaning my ears) and I both appreciate it.  I'll try not to do any damage to them.  :)

At the moment I'm enjoying my Thunderpants at a very reasonable (though for some might still be considered somewhat loud) volume through the CTH and the pairing is delightful, with no cut out.  I should also mention, heavy EQ'ing in foobar can also hasten the arrival of the occasional cutout I spoke of.  Most of the time if the EQ is in a moderate range and the volume is loud but not blowing you away loud, everything works perfectly as it should.  I've only had the opportunity to try my TPs with a CTH, but I plan to acquire a few different amps and will doubtless report my experiences with them after.    

Oct 12, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #1,767 of 2,225
Highflyin9, those look great. Love the wood grain.

First post here at head-fi. I'm one of those giz readers that decided to ignore the trollers and came right on over to discover that there was a 1k+ thread on orthos and 118 page thread on the TP's. I've finally gotten to the end. Even though I this is my first post, I'd like to say it's nice to meet you all (especially those that have posted a lot in this forum) :)

I've already ordered my T50rp's to do this mod. Can't wait especially since i love DIY projects and since product design is my job :p

Couple questions though:
1. Short of using a CNC lathe, how do you make sure your cups are turned identically. I'm sure there isnt much of an effect on sound but i care about cosmetics too 
2. I have access to 3D printers and wonder if it's worth just having the cups and baffles printed. Based on what i've read in this forum, material doesnt matter as long as you seal well and it's damped enough.
3. Anyone know how to make the CTH without the pcb. I've pretty much searched this entire forum (and the CTH thread) and haven't really found anyone willing to sell the pcb. 

Again, nice to meet you all! 

Oct 12, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #1,768 of 2,225
better off starting a thread in the diy forum, or posting in the CTH diy thread for answers about that ..

not sure about your other questions

welcome to head-fi, your wallett is doomed, have a nice day :wink:

good luck!

Oct 12, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #1,770 of 2,225
Nice nice nice!  highflyin, great job buddy.

M

Users who are viewing this thread

Back