Thunderpants!
Oct 21, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #1,788 of 2,225
tongue_smile.gif
  nice! 

have fun!

M

Oct 22, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #1,790 of 2,225
These came about after an unsuccesful attempt to get a kit from Smeggy. The cups are made from two 3" ABS pipe caps from ACE Hardware. They are just
under 4" in outside diameter. I trimmed the length about an inch or so. The other caps I looked at were flat backed, but these are (IMHO) perfectly curved
for 'phone cups.

The baffles are made of two pieces of 1/4" alder from Home Depot glued together.  I gave each a coat of sanding sealer, and painted the edges and inside the
cups with some brush-on latex flat black paint. I chose alder because it's a little easier to work with, but I may remake them using red oak. The gaskets (baffle-to-cup/baffle-to-driver) are made from a sheet of dense but light, adhesive-backed foam from Hobby Lobby.

The cup mounting blocks are made from 3/4" red oak, sealed, and painted with said flat black paint. While most builders glue theirs to the headband , I had to
be different and used 6/32 screws. The existing holes in the stock headband rods are the perfect size to run a 6/32 tap through with no drilling. BTW, I did flip the blocks around so the screws are on the inside.

The screws used to mount the drivers to the baffles are metirc 2 x 20mm machine screws from ACE.They fit perfectly into the existing TR50P baffle holes. 
To mount the baffles to the cups, I tapped each hole with a 4/40 tap.

Wiring is Mogami #24.

I've painted the cups with Krylon Fusion (for plastic) satin black paint, but am not happy with the finish (hence, no finished pix). I think I'll repaint them flat black
once I have them sounding like I want.

PS: What's up with the spacing in my post? I didn't type it that way, I promise.

Oct 23, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #1,792 of 2,225
After further conversation with Smeggy we decided to refit my pair with the LCD-2 (Rev 2) pads instead of the Beyerdynamic leather pads. I know folks are interested to see how these look so I am posting a couple of pictures. IMPORTANT NOTE: This is a retrofit and may not represent current production! This refit was done as something of a prototype exercise for the new pads, which I know a number of people have ordered in the group purchase, and I am extremely pleased with the results.

Quote:
Just for anyone wanting to know what's going on here.
I am testing out various pad options, some of which isolate less and some that isolate even more, so yes, that is an option now. Seth has been a huge help in this new evolutionary step. I have a list of things on order to test out to make them lighter, isolate more or less when required and help with comfort. I'm also experimenting with oval cups which cut down more weight and take up less space. What I really want to do is have some custom headbands made to my spec but have no idea where to go for that. I might have to contact Alex at Audeze to see if he can point me in the right direction. Anyway, the general gist is that I'm still spending a good amount of time experimenting.
I have used Denon pads in the past, Ideally I'd like to use something both good and inexpensive to keep the costs down. It's looking pretty good so far, though I still need to try some other pads to find the ideal match.

Oct 23, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #1,793 of 2,225

Sorry about that, Funch, I've been getting so buried in mails I've been losing track of some things. I've never had this much to do before and It's proving really difficult to keep up with the volume as well as making phones and knives and everything else going on. I'm not trying to ignore anyone, I'm just swamped.

Oct 23, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #1,795 of 2,225
how do they sound funch :)  ?  got them tweaked in yet?

M

Oct 23, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #1,796 of 2,225
So far, I'm pretty underwhelmed. The sound is very closed in; possibly losing upper mid/lower treble. I tried several damping configurations yesterday,
some better, some not so good, but still feel that I'm far away from the sound I'm looking for.

Right now I'm reassembling them after cutting another 6mm off the cups. Hopefully that will help some. I know it will help the comfort (I think).

Edit: I'm listening to the shorter cups right now, and there is a major improvement. More sparkle and air. Somebody took the wool blanket off the sound.
        Not yet perfect, but at least encouraging. Less head crushing pressure too.

Oct 23, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #1,797 of 2,225
How big is your bass port? 1/8 inch is what most run. also what pads?  stuff some stuffs under the pad to put some distance between your ear and the driver, that may help. Did you make sure to drill the driver equalization hole out of your baffle too? I didnt look close enough in your pictures. That would be something to make sure is drilled through the baffle so the cup can breathe with the ear side of the baffle.

M

edit: saw you drilled it through
wink_face.gif

Oct 23, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #1,798 of 2,225
Bass port is 1/8". Pads are stock T50. I will try spacing the pads. I'm curious to see what kind of pads Smeggy ends up using.
The O2 are out, for me. I don't even have that much $ in the whole 'phone.

I can't believe how much of a difference shortening the cups made. Day and night.

Oct 23, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #1,799 of 2,225
Stock pads can be pretty gross unless you damp the cup to match the pad.

I bet, volume can definitely have a significant impact!

M

Oct 24, 2011 at 3:37 AM Post #1,800 of 2,225
Where you not satisfied with the sound of or the looks of the Beyer pads? Or did you just want to try the Audeze pads?
Quote:
After further conversation with Smeggy we decided to refit my pair with the LCD-2 (Rev 2) pads instead of the Beyerdynamic leather pads. I know folks are interested to see how these look so I am posting a couple of pictures. IMPORTANT NOTE: This is a retrofit and may not represent current production! This refit was done as something of a prototype exercise for the new pads, which I know a number of people have ordered in the group purchase, and I am extremely pleased with the results

Users who are viewing this thread

Back