Thunderpants!
Nov 2, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #1,816 of 2,225
I've noticed that it depends upon how the EQ gain is applied, as well.  For instance, if I plug them into my Onkyo receiver and apply a +4db bass gain on it (doesn't say what frequency range, unfortunately), it will distort exactly as you describe. If I apply an even higher bass gain on my Xonar, it's still crystal clear and plenty bass-y.  The distortion seems to me to be caused by overmodulation.  Someone else could, I'm sure, better explain what's going on.

An idea: if you've got plenty of volume, you can do a negative compensation rather than a positive one, which should avoid overmodulation distortion.  Move the mids down into negative territory and then crank up the volume.  Basically, take the EQ curve I posted above and move every slider down by ~5db, then increase the overall volume by ~5db.

Anyway, it's an idea.  I'm just throwing stuff out there to see what sticks.

Nov 3, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #1,817 of 2,225
Wow, these comments are scaring me a bit.

I'm running a set of Edition 8s and love them to death... have been aware of the TPs for awhile but it wasn't until Jude's review that I really took notice.  Now I'm in on the group buy and went whole hog w/ stax pads and zircote wood.  Hoping that these are a clear step better (in the bass they certainly measure better)... if not I'll likely resale.  

Nov 3, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #1,819 of 2,225
Does this indicate that these are not TP1 Thunderpants, in other words not made by Smeggy?

Quote:
I dont wear glasses, i have a good seal, and when i eq the bass, the driver will distort/rattle so thats not a good thing... :p

I'm thinking i'll have to let them go to someone else...Theyre just so darned pretty!!! Martin did an amazing job...

Nov 3, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #1,820 of 2,225
Dunno what you mean by TP1, but no - they're made by my buddy Martin :p

Nov 3, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #1,822 of 2,225
This could have something to due with the perceived lack of bass, Smeggy really has the modifications nailed down.

Don't know about Prospero's situation.

Quote:
Dunno what you mean by TP1, but no - they're made by my buddy Martin :p

Nov 3, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #1,823 of 2,225
Does your friend have much experience damping orthos?  That plays a big part in the sound of orthos.  Also, if there is any leakage between the cup and baffle, the baffle and driver, or your head and the ear pads, the bass will disappear.  An improperly sized port can also negatively effect the bass. 

Nov 3, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #1,824 of 2,225
^ Agreed, orthos respond very well to damping but are a trick to get just right since all the mods have to mesh with eachother. I've made two pairs of woodied t50rp's to smeggy's specs from many moons ago. I doubt my damping scheme is as good as Gary's since i've only been messn with the t50 for about 1.5 years. You really need to know your stuff and Gary "Smegg" does!   there are key factors to getting the right sound out of the thunders, the SEAL is at the top of the list imo. Baffle to cup, baffle to pad, and pad to head. If you get all those right your 90 percent there, considering your assembly skills are up to par :wink: enough babble,

M

Nov 3, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #1,825 of 2,225

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbradley02 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Don't know about Prospero's situation.

Yeah, mine are Smeggy Thunderpants.  Brand new.

I think what it comes down to is that the Fostex drivers are known and respected exactly because they are so neutral with such strong mids, and no amount of modification made around those drivers is going to change that.  I knew this going in, and I got exactly what I expected.  They sound amazing as I now have them set up, but I've seen people say that they can just be plugged straight into an iPod or the like and sound great.  I find that very, very hard to believe based upon my own experience.  They really need to be driven by something with active power behind it.

As for VictorHalgaard's issue: I agree it could be due to differences in the build.  It could be that TPs are just a bad fit for him, as well.  I was doing some thread searching earlier trying to figure out who built his 'Pants and I noticed this statement:

"...many of the headphones headfiers usually call neutral and balanced is what i usually call plain, boring, dull and not very engaging or musical..."

And "neutral and balanced" is pretty much is exactly how I've seen the T50RP drivers described by just about everybody.  Like I said: there's only so much modification can accomplish.

Anyway, not trying to put words in anyone's mouths or anything.  Just trying the help out.  When it comes down to it, I'm very happy with mine.  I need to make it to a meet so I can test them out with some tube amps, which I'm very curious about.  I like my current setup, but the entire signal path is digital right up until it hits the amp, which is solid state and neutral in its own right.  This makes for great clarity and accuracy, but not much warmth or headroom.  I'd like to see how much a good desktop tube amp could add to the experience.

Nov 3, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #1,826 of 2,225
Yeah, they aren't really known for being heavy on the low end.  I just received mine today and experienced pretty much the same thing.  But that's what I expected and what I wanted: superb mid-range and accurate reproduction over impact.

I plan on playing with the EQ to bring the lows and highs in line with the mid range, which I understand is pretty common practice with TP1s.

Fellow Thunderpantsers with bass issues - I have a suggestion. When mine first arrived, they came with what I requested to Smeggy was the most uncolored, "reference-like" configuration he by default uses for these. I was extremely happy with mids and highs, but like a few of you mentioned, I found the bass lacking without excessive EQing and even then, they didn't have the same the level, quality of punch and extension I had experienced with my prior Denons. I mentioned this to Smeggy, and asked if I could send them back for further bass modification.

When they returned, the most noticeable change was the addition of another pair of bass ports, but what truly delighted me was that I was able to enjoy perhaps the best bass I've ever had the pleasure to hear in a headphone; right up with LCD-2s, in my humble opinion. So, my advice is that if you are initially unhappy with the bass, talk to Smeggy and ask him about the mods he can make to bring out the bass. The caveat is, of course, that with these mods, you might find the TPs to have a more "colored" sound overall, but if bass is what you are seeking the most in your TPs, I can't recommend the mods enough. And though I use the term colored, I'd consider mine now just about perfect for me in every way I can think of. That includes classical, rock, electronica, dub step, jazz, all my varying musical tastes. EQ still plays a part of course, but with a well-configured foobar Dolby Headphone setup and a decent EQ (refer to the excellent Dolby Headphone foobar thread in Computer Audio, if this applies to your setup. In a word, bliss is all I have to describe what I'm hearing.

Best of luck to you TP1 owners. In my humble opinion, they are truly works of a singular master craftsman and he can do absolute magic with these phones.

For me, the next step is experimenting with different DACs and Amps. I have a CTH (Cavalli Tube Hybrid) right now (which is as has been said many times a fantastic synergy with TPs but my current DAC (an aging original Emu 0404 now on the fritz) has got me looking for a new DAC to combine with my CTH, so if anyone has any ideas on this, I'd love to hear them.

Nov 3, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #1,827 of 2,225
I was really taking a very close look at the Schiit Bifrost DAC. There are plenty more expensive DACs out there, but I still can't afford it after spending so much recently. Looks like exactly what I want out of a DAC.

I was wanting to get a CTH, actually, but I couldn't find anywhere to purchase them pre-built and I just don't have the time or resources to build it from a kit or blueprints. If you could point me in the right direction, I'd be very grateful!

Nov 3, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #1,828 of 2,225
All the seals are good, and the dampening should be fine aswell, he spent 2 weeks trying different dampening schemes, and hes done these a few times before - I think its just my "taste" - i dont like having bass roll off - the only ones i accept having it is my Grados...

Nov 3, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #1,829 of 2,225
All the seals are good, and the dampening should be fine aswell, he spent 2 weeks trying different dampening schemes, and hes done these a few times before - I think its just my "taste" - i dont like having bass roll off - the only ones i accept having it is my Grados...

How many bass ports does your pair have my friend, and would you mind if I asked what you're using for DAC, Amp and DMP or vinyl/CD?

Nov 3, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #1,830 of 2,225
They have one bassport like standart thunderpants, and i am running them in balanced mode through a pure silver cable<iBasso PB2 Balanced Amp < iBasso DB2 Balanced Dac < PC < Lossless Audio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back