Thunderpants!
Nov 3, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #1,831 of 2,225
They may not be for you, but this points out why I wouldn't buy from anyone but Smeggy.  Smeggy has 2 years of experience with Thunderpants, and more than that experimenting with other custom orthos. 

Nov 3, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #1,832 of 2,225
I'd say the only thing this points out is that they aren't for everyone. I've always loved Denon for example - thats not exactly the kind of sound you get from thunderpants, even smeggys, and i kinda expected something close to it, which explains why i don't get along with them. It has nothing to do with who made them in this case - Martin has more than enough experience to do it right.

Nov 3, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #1,833 of 2,225

Quote:
All the seals are good, and the dampening should be fine aswell, he spent 2 weeks trying different dampening schemes, and hes done these a few times before - I think its just my "taste" - i dont like having bass roll off - the only ones i accept having it is my Grados...

2 Weeks is hardly enough.  I've spent the last year or so working on and off on one vintage ortho model, and it still isn't totally right, but it does keep getting better.  Damping is a tricky game and so is dealing with planar drivers in general, they're really finicky, but have so much potential.  Smeggy's TP's clearly don't have bass rolloff, that's one thing we can measure very easily and the TP1 extends all the way down like only the very best headphones can manage.  No offense to Martin, he does beautiful woodwork.  But there are a lot of little things that matter in the implemention of a DIY headphone like that.

Nov 3, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #1,835 of 2,225
Since i apparently make useless statements, you may ignore this. The isolation on mine is very good with velour pads - they shut out all normal exterior noise when music is playing. Assuming smeggys arent different I'd say the isolation is quite good.

Nov 4, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #1,837 of 2,225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

denon d2000's? well for one thing the TP's sound WAY better all around

blasphemy!

jk.

I've been a huge fan of the D2000s for the past two years.  Seriously nothing better to my ears ... or from the little I've heard.  I want to try these out, but I think I'll wait for furor to die down.  I know you described the D2000s as having flabby bass, but I think the DAC/AMP determines that.

What I'm trying to get to is, can I have it tuned to have more than usual bass extension?  Are you even the right person to ask?

Nov 4, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #1,839 of 2,225
would that be the stock TP version?  Can he tweak it for bass?

Can I freakin' buy these Fostex headphones and mod them in my own way for more bass?

Sorry, I'm ususally better at doing research on this sort of thing but I'm kind of tired (it's late).

Nov 4, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #1,840 of 2,225

Quote:
They have one bassport like standart thunderpants, and i am running them in balanced mode through a pure silver cable<iBasso PB2 Balanced Amp < iBasso DB2 Balanced Dac < PC < Lossless Audio

I'm familiar with these syetsm somewhat well.  Here's some advice, which of course you're free to take or leave.  I really think you'll be happer if you take it though :)  

I know Balanced amps are (and have been) all the rage for a n age awile, butI I've heard never the TPs sound truly magic on a non-bybrid amp/ including all the way up to expensive Burson amps.  I would strongly recommend one of these few hybrid amps listed on the first page of the massive TP thread.  I'm not that familiar with your DAC but mine sounds beautifully out of a very inexpensive Emu 0404 USB connected via USB to my laptop and paired with my other full tube and full solid-state amps I've come across.  No comparison in my eyes.  Also, if you use foobar, setup yourself up with Dolby Headphone, and Elitrik-Q (sp?).  Made another world of difference.

But, as I mentioned before, the best thing you could, from my experience, is drop Smeggy a line a let him know you want to being out the bass more.  They returned to me with by far the biggest bass extension and cleaniness (even without heavy EQing) than I would have thought possible.  He may even do the extra damping and his bags of tricks for you without charge, so all it should take (dont quote me on this) is some patience on your part.  Try reaching him on *ahem* the other side that started wth head and has an hyphen, as he's often around there lately.  

Hell, if you find yourself in the Texas area, I'd be more then happy to show you the bass that can be achieved with these amaizing phone and you can see for yourself.  Best of lucl\k.

Nov 4, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #1,841 of 2,225

Quote:
would that be the stock TP version?  Can he tweak it for bass?

Can I freakin' buy these Fostex headphones and mod them in my own way for more bass?

Sorry, I'm ususally better at doing research on this sort of thing but I'm kind of tired (it's late).

Personally I wouldn't consider buying anything but TP1 for Smeggy himself.  There's all sorts of mods he can make inside to suit your personal taste.

Nov 4, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #1,842 of 2,225

Quote:
Personally I wouldn't consider buying anything but TP1 for Smeggy himself.  There's all sorts of mods he can make inside to suit your personal taste.

ok, ok

I'm sold

I think what I'm going to do is listen to them vanilla for a while and perhaps when orders slow down, I'll send them in for the supermod.

thanks.

Nov 4, 2011 at 6:29 AM Post #1,843 of 2,225

Quote:
Can anyone with a Smeggy TP1 let me know how well they isolate outside noises compared to other closed headphones like the M50? 

Unlike anything else I own.  I can only use them when I know I won't get in trouble for not hearing my wife calling me.

Nov 4, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #1,845 of 2,225
Just a general note on pads.
Different pads yield different bass response.
Velour pads have the lowest bass response of the ones in common use, but have the best imaging.
Best bass and isolation is provided by the thicker pads, for example the Stax O2 and the LCD-2.

Quote:
Since i apparently make useless statements, you may ignore this. The isolation on mine is very good with velour pads - they shut out all normal exterior noise when music is playing. Assuming smeggys arent different I'd say the isolation is quite good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back