Thunderpants!
Sep 28, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #1,727 of 2,225

Quote:
Ironically the picture is actually the one custom stax on his page, not the thunderpants.

LOL!

Regardless...congrats to Smeggy for the press!

Sep 28, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #1,728 of 2,225
Me a nerd?  My daughter says I resemble that remark.  
L3000.gif

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 28, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #1,729 of 2,225
Nice, Smeggy's getting some glowing press! I'm glad I got my order in before this, though :)

I really do hope his business takes off every bit as much as he'd hope. It's getting harder and harder to find guys like this truly dedicated to analog electronic equipment with an eye towards craftsmanship. I can't wait for mine!

Sep 28, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #1,730 of 2,225

Quote:
Thunderpants featured on Gizmodo

I bet it will be a little pricey for most, and won't overextend Smeggy. Usually when Gizmodo features a product, the company is drowned with orders. If you were thinking about pulling the trigger, do it now!

The funny thing is Gizmodo chose to use a photo of a modded Stax.  Funny huh?

Sep 29, 2011 at 4:46 AM Post #1,731 of 2,225
well people only go crazy in gizmodo if they see a headphones by some hip hop star. I bet inevitably ppl will consider the Beat a better buy. Someone lend Smeggy a Bentley and make him a MV wearing a thunderpants, THEN ppl wil go crazy :)

Sep 29, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #1,734 of 2,225

Beats Pro? Pretty close.

Quote:
we also have to remember that the average consumer, and maybe even the average giz reader is probably not likely to shell out $550 for headphones

Sep 29, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #1,735 of 2,225
Guys,

We are getting some pretty ignorant comments in the Gizmodo article: http://gizmodo.com/5844613

Here is an example:
-----
They're just glazed wooden cups with Home Depot hinges, screws and bolts. Not very impressive to me. The wood is the only thing that looks sort of decent (at best). And I aint gonna shell out $300 -$550 just for shiny wood and some screws, hinges and bolts.

It honestly looks like Dr. Frankenstein found some nice wood and put this together.

And honestly, I doubt that this guy actually cuts, dremels, sands, glazes each and every cup for each and every order himself. He'd be so backed up with orders that he'd never make any money. My guess is that like so many other "personally handcrafted" items, the handcrafting is handled by atleast a few laborers -- not just the one main dude. (Edit comment)
-----
I had a response all typed out but Gizmodo requires you to link to your Facebook account which I really don't care for.

If there are followers of this forum that really appreciate the work Smeggy does (like I do) and could help out in this area, it would be most cool. Remember that we should keep it polite and factual, but set the story straight.

Thanks!

Sep 29, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #1,736 of 2,225
^ i agree, but also remember - any press is good press.  Especially since Smeggy truly does create an excellent product, there is nothing to worry about with the trollers.
his reputation and quality of craftsmanship will be the ultimate voice, and obviously those are both very good.

Sep 29, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #1,737 of 2,225
I see your point.

And yes I tend to take trollers way more seriously than is deserved :)

Quote:
^ i agree, but also remember - any press is good press.  Especially since Smeggy truly does create an excellent product, there is nothing to worry about with the trollers.
his reputation and quality of craftsmanship will be the ultimate voice, and obviously those are both very good.

Sep 29, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #1,738 of 2,225
Well, they are missing out on the astonishing build quality and sound quality I have on my head right now.

It's not worth crawling in the mud over.

Sep 29, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #1,739 of 2,225
Agreed - thanks

Quote:
Well, they are missing out on the astonishing build quality and sound quality I have on my head right now.
It's not worth crawling in the mud over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back