The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 19, 2022 at 7:21 PM Post #32,911 of 90,029
Couldn't bring myself to spend multi-kilobux on a blind purchase, so audition is the only way for me. This has limited my choices to what I can find here in Aus, and my collection reflects that. But on the flip side sometimes too much choice can be a burden, and I'm pretty happy with the variety of what I've now got on hand. Any chance you can get to Sydney for a few days? That way you could spend a bit of Quality time at both A2A and Minidisc, between them you could sample quite a few of the Top12-25 from the recent Watercooler poll. Also, it may not be too late for @Damz87 to hook you up on the FiR Frontier tour.

I wonder whether A2A Sydney has more stuffs. I have auditioned and measured almost everything they have in Adelaide. Love the U12t. However, I met a head-fier recently and listened to his Sony Z1R, so my desire for U12t is a bit weakened.
Regarding the FiR Audio tour, those stuffs look so expensive for the clumsy me so I’m sitting out :beyersmile:

Aug 19, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #32,912 of 90,029
Not for me in Vietnam. My purchases are based on impressions on the Watercooler. Next best thing to an audition.

You are in Vietnam? I am from there too, though I have not been living there for nearly a decade. I would never get into head-fi hobby if I were in Vietnam. Sometimes i check the price of online shops in Vietnam, and the amount of money in VND shocks me. A little pair of earphones is as expensive as a new motorbike, (at least as expensive when I left, before all the inflation?)

Aug 19, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #32,913 of 90,029
I forget, what’s the difference between Red Halo and Red Halo FE? 😅
The Red Halo has the First Times shielding cable and a red shell reminiscent of the OG Mason Fabled Sound.

The Red Halo FE has an all red cable, not sure which PWA cable it's most like, but it's mid tier at best. I think it might be an Atilla. It has a shell that is reminiscent of the Indigo, but only red.

Aug 19, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #32,914 of 90,029
I rarely use Azla Crystals on anything anymore. I find the other Azla tips are better. The Crystals give you a great seal, but they tend to thin out the sound of the IEM. The AzlaSednaEarfit tips are my favorite. The come in long and short, Light and Dark. I always maintain all 4 of them ready for demos and I try them all too see which ones sound best with the IEM and DAP pairing I am listening to. I use the dark and long version (black with gray gasket) of the Azla with Indigo . I find it gives the Indigo the best bass response. But, you tune it to taste. The main reason I like the Azla tips is because they give me the most reliable high quality seal with comfortability.
Same here. I've tried nearly all the tips on the market and Final Type E used to be my go-to's but SednaEarfit's have taken the throne. Similar levels of comfort & seal strength but a wider bore letting more midrange through.

I like the shorter stem versions more, but if you're willing to blow some cash you could always buy a bunch in your chosen size and use a razorblade to trim the stems to varying lengths. That way with 4 of 5 pairs of the same size with various stem lengths you could effectively tune your tips further, inviting obvious "yo dawg" memes.

The interesting thing for me is my right ear canal is appreciably larger so I run 1-2 sizes down on the left. Finding that optimal combination of tip type, size & IEM is absolutely worth the trouble in my experience. Life's too short to put up with earphones that aren't several-hour-session comfortable.

Aug 19, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #32,915 of 90,029
The Red Halo has the First Times shielding cable and a red shell reminiscent of the OG Mason Fabled Sound.

The Red Halo FE has an all red cable, not sure which PWA cable it's most like, but it's mid tier at best. I think it might be an Atilla. It has a shell that is reminiscent of the Indigo, but only red.
You’re right, FE comes with Attila in “red dress” called bright fire by UM😊

Aug 19, 2022 at 8:55 PM Post #32,916 of 90,029
I didn’t read review on “New Age Series” PWA cable, it’s a pity… Monile mk2 shielding was on Musicteck shop, but recently disappeared.

D0472137-6DC4-49D9-B797-83B207637F07.jpeg
E51DCD45-1F33-468F-9416-E2DCAA6C5DC4.jpeg
F288F3EF-BA43-442A-865B-4A31382FAE97.jpeg

Aug 19, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #32,917 of 90,029

Thank you for enlightening. Sound-wise, minus the cables, they sound the same? I actually like the Red Halo shell and love the FT shielding cable. I disliked Attila a lot.

Aug 19, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #32,919 of 90,029
In South Australia, though I listen to only Gundam related stuffs. Does that count?

In Adelaide? Ooh that’s convenient for me lol, if I do get the review set are you interested in the Gaea?

Aug 19, 2022 at 9:19 PM Post #32,920 of 90,029
In Adelaide? Ooh that’s convenient for me lol, if I do get the review set are you interested in the Gaea?

Have you heard the Diva? It’s my favorite Elysian IEM. The max bass setting with a smoother DAP (the upper mids and low treble to me can be too present depending on track) is such a fun listen. For $1500, dare I say it, I think it’s a steal.

It’s one of the best sub bass head IEMs I’ve heard and all the switch settings are enjoyable.

I’m hoping he can start working on my CIEM in the next couple of weeks. Going for something green as I don’t have that color yet.

Aug 19, 2022 at 9:26 PM Post #32,921 of 90,029

Ok, I’ll bite. What’s the “Gaea”? Must be something expensive that I have not had the courage to look at :beyersmile:

If you are around, happy to meet some time. I can take measurements of whatever IEM gear you want for you with my IEC711 coupler. Just did the same for another head-fier who wants to check the channel balance of his IE900 and Z1R (perfect, btw).

Aug 19, 2022 at 9:36 PM Post #32,922 of 90,029
Ok, I’ll bite. What’s the “Gaea”? Must be something expensive that I have not had the courage to look at :beyersmile:

If you are around, happy to meet some time. I can take measurements of whatever IEM gear you want for you with my IEC711 coupler. Just did the same for another head-fier who wants to check the channel balance of his IE900 and Z1R (perfect, btw).
It’s a new Elysian made for Effect audio that will be released in October, price isn’t confirmed but wouldn’t be a TOTL price.
Will be an Hybrid design.
Pic posted by @Damz87 some days ago.

AAE978E1-AFED-4B9B-8E59-F6B2152B77B4.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #32,925 of 90,029

Users who are viewing this thread

Back