The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 6, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #31,381 of 88,929
That stuff came later, early on he was doing what many others were, American standards.

I agree free jazz stuff like the album Ascension which came in 1965, is a work out to try and listen to, there are moments though I find it a bit too much work to get to them, amazing actually how many changes to his thoughts on what he wanted to say in 10 years 1955-1965. 1965 was also the year A Love Supreme came out, clearly lots of experimentation and boundary pushing.

Hey not trying to say anything about what any one else should enjoy to listen to, or needs to hear like music 101, that is clearly your own journey, respectfully.

Miles Davis similarly is an acquired taste, in my mind. I will partake only on occassion, in smaller doses, much like I drink scotch.

Updated list of attendees. Shaping up nicely.

I will maintain a list of Watercooler attendees. I will try to see if I can get some 3d printed name tags so we can find each other.

Who from the Watercooler are planning to attend CanJam Socal? We need to have a drink somewhere.

@HiFiHawaii808
@discord
@Rockwell75
@Natesdailies (potential conflict)
@wolfstar76
@stacey
@morserotonin
@Skyediver
@Shecky504
@monduvo
@Chronos

Anyone else?

Given the line up of vendors and the hints of announcements so far, this show should be epic.

You do realize that this group of watercooler members may very well have as much TOTL gear with them as the portable gear vendors? Attendees are going to think you're another commercial listening room. :ksc75smile: Sounds like an epic get together!

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #31,382 of 88,929
Just thinking out loud, if you are going to get a private room, maybe align with Musicteck to have some samples available for listening after the show hours? I still have the image of their tables stuck in my mind from CanJam NYC, over crowded with people sitting on top of each other to get a listen lol

canjam_nyc-2022-musicteck_table-7.jpg
Well I’m volunteering for Canjam so arranging for that wouldn’t be much of a stretch.

Aug 6, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #31,383 of 88,929
You do realize that this group of watercooler members may very well have as much TOTL gear with them as the portable gear vendors? Attendees are going to think you're another commercial listening room. :ksc75smile: Sounds like an epic get together!

Yes, but if something is new or a prototype then no one is going to have it. It will be worthwhile to check out a few items in a much quieter venue

Aug 6, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #31,384 of 88,929

I learned that last year in Socal when the local audiophile club brought their own stuff and had a hotel room full of gear.

The biggest advantage of setting up such a room was that it was quieter so that you could actually hear the open back headphones.

Aug 6, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #31,385 of 88,929
Yes, but if something is new or a prototype then no one is going to have it. It will be worthwhile to check out a few items in a much quieter venue
Yes. And, the other useful thing is that you really want to A/B testing different things you demo. So if you wanted to compare MEST mki, MEST mkii and Indigo as an example, you can borrow one from one of the members and listen to the new one in the booth.

Or, if you want to hear how a 1266TC and a Susvara sound like relative to each other, it's helpful to have one with you because usually a booth doesn't have both. You end up listening to headphones on different chains and it becomes a very unrealistic demo situation. I am tempted to bring a DAC with me so I can eliminate the variance of the DAC in the high end audio demos.

The other way around it is to bring a source like an N8ii with every type of cable possible so that you can listen to your music and isolate the amps you are considering.

Aug 6, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #31,386 of 88,929
Shows are nice. I enjoyed NYC2020 a lot. But my preferred method of auditioning is buying and (if needed) selling. I see so many comments saying "couldn't really judge due to show conditions". I think shows are better for a first taste and social interaction than proper evaluation.

Aug 6, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #31,387 of 88,929
Shows are nice. I enjoyed NYC2020 a lot. But my preferred method of auditioning is buying and (if needed) selling. I see so many comments saying "couldn't really judge due to show conditions". I think shows are better for a first taste and social interaction than proper evaluation.
Agree with this. It's why I love tours.

Some things are much harder to buy and sell in that way. For instance, if you want to buy a high end tube amp, it's really hard to buy them and then sell them and even if you did that, you still would probably like to know which would be best for you at the outset.

In Socal, Woo Audio will have its WA33, Primaluna will be there presumably with its EVO400, Ampsandsound will have its nautilus and red october, Wells will have its tube preamp and tube dac. Who knows if an Elise will be there. But, at least you can sample them to see how well they will work before buying. Demo conditions won't be great, but at least you get to hear it first.

Same with Elecostatic amps. Stax, Hifiman, Blue Hawaii, Mjolnir or Eksonic. Are can going to blind buy one of those or short list it first?

I like Benchmark's plan. You demo it at a show, then you get a show discount and buy it and you have 30-days to return it so you can hear their amps in your own environment. If you return it, you are responsible for shipping costs. I think that is the best way.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #31,389 of 88,929
Just curious if any people here prefer indigo over Jewel and or trailli? If so, what genres do you listen to?
Haven't done a direct comparison yet but I don't think Indigo eclipses Traillii for my personal preferences, although the bass of the Indigo is better. Overall, Traillii is hard to beat.

Aug 6, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #31,390 of 88,929
That's because you are way too young to remember at one time, the only portable device was a Sony Walkman and you need to rip your Vinyl LPs to cassette tape so you could listen while you are walking between classes. Analog ripping, instead of digital.
Oh I remember those days well. My first portable rig in high school was a Sony Walkman, and my main source of music was my dad's LPs ripped off a Technics turntable to an Akai tape deck.

It was quite a revelation when I heard my first CDs and realised the music sounded so much better without the hiss and pops.

Aug 6, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #31,391 of 88,929
From what I can gather Indigo and Traillii are different sorts of sound. Something like the Red Halo (or the Mason line generally) would probably be the most comparable UM IEM to Traillii (in terms of both sound and cost).

Aug 6, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #31,392 of 88,929
Just curious if any people here prefer indigo over Jewel and or trailli? If so, what genres do you listen to?
I own all three of them. All top 10. Jewel and Traillii are a half step better than Indigo. Indigo's treble can be a little dry and brittle at times. And, Jewel and Traillii mids and resolution are way better. At the resale prices I've seen Indigo listed for, the value is there. You can buy an Indigo for half the price of a Jewel or Traillii.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2022 at 5:42 PM Post #31,394 of 88,929
Does anyone remember 8-tracks? The cartage was the size of a book so limited selection inside the car rest were inside a suitcase in the trunk. :L3000::L3000::ksc75smile:
I have fond memories of my parents BLASTING John Denver albums via there 8 track home system which was pretty dope for back then. I remember it sounding so good, but I was only 8 or 9 years old. I loved going through them and looking at them. My Parents never had Vinyl so my first music memories were 8 tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back