The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 6, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #31,366 of 89,992
It looks a little bulky for me. I think I am going to be more interested in Perpetua or Advar. But, I will try it.

Doesn't look any worse than the Szalayi, which actually fit me pretty good. It's well beyond my comfort zone $$ wise. I'm interested in Advar but the shallow fit worries me. That, the Technics DD everyone has been raving about (anyone wanna sell me theirs? :p) and CFA's own upcoming planar hybrid are all more likely purchases for me than the Trifecta.

Aug 6, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #31,367 of 89,992
It’s hard to think of any music today that is completely analog, even for musicians and producers it’s not practical
The biggest problem was the widespread availability of 2" tape. For years no one even made it after ampex/quantigy got out of the game. I have friends who still operate full analogue studios though and refuse to change. They get excited when an estate sale opens up with used tape for sale, lol.
I respect the dedication, and the sound on rock music is still unmatched. But you usually have to fight the label to use it (it's $$$) and fighting for tape on a pop record is just insane and a waste of effort unless it's your cabin in the woods acoustic addendum album.

Most material is tracked and recorded digitally now (so easy) with some antiquing analogue process added in post.
All kinds of tricks can be applied. Sometimes a mix of tape and digital is patched together. It's the wild west.

When we recorded to tape in the early 00's we had to record over other folks albums (only the stinkers, I promise:wink: it was bad. But at the time, digital was for peasants unless you needed autotune. I was a snob and digital really was still just a teenager.

On vinyl, yes, it can sound magical, but 90% of folks don't have systems even close to getting the quality out of it you can say "sounds better than".
The quality of the vinyl these days is better in this era of nostalgia, with the Czech made 30g hefty boys giving you way more play's before it degrades. Vinyl presses in the 80's could only be played like 50 times before it started going south. I am a big fan of buying digital masters and having endless plays with no degradation in quality. If you want that vinyl vibe, just send the master through a DAW and plug in and rerecord it. I did a few albums then got tired and stopped caring.
It's work, man.

Aug 6, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #31,368 of 89,992
Yeah I've never understood the point of vinyl rips. The whole point of vinyl, for me, is the playback hardware. That's where the 'analogue' sound comes from, clicks and treble drop-off and all. It's also about the 'romanticism' of pulling the record from the sleeve, placing it on the platter, gently placing the pickup needle, and sitting back on a recliner in front of giant floorstanders. It's more about the experience and mood-setting as it is the sound.

No matter how good the recording hardware, a vinyl rip will never come close to a pristine digital copy on any metric, and the pops and clicks and analogue pickup noise make listening to the result on the type of ultra resolving gear we use utterly frustrating.
That's because you are way too young to remember at one time, the only portable device was a Sony Walkman and you need to rip your Vinyl LPs to cassette tape so you could listen while you are walking between classes. Analog ripping, instead of digital.

Aug 6, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #31,370 of 89,992
Someone got to try the Trifecta with their DMP Z1 at the Hong Kong audio show.

297105579_10158794444790869_6896918236071976674_n.jpg

297029222_10158794439840869_2337579516905681274_n.jpg

Definitely a sexy looking IEM and all things considered probably the one I'm most interested in hearing right now.
Very different take on sexy... 🫢

Aug 6, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #31,371 of 89,992
Hi HiFiHawaii808,

Thanks for taking the time with all the thinking and planning that goes into preparing this upcoming event/meetup, and outing (if possible).

Arrived home later than usual from work (8/5), and for some reason, I just wasn't in the mood to prepare and cook food at home. Instead, I went to few places for take-out, and kept it simple & casual with a burger & fries, a side of bread pudding (dessert not shown in photo, as it looked like a mess when I took it out from the take-out box) and a cold brew coffee.

On a late Friday evening, I had a cheeseburger with a side of fries (take-out, from The Morrison, in Los Angeles, California, 8/5), along with a cold brew coffee (take-out from Kava Kulture cafe, Los Angeles, California, 8/5), for dinner.
ColdBrewCoffee-AngusCheeseburger-Fries.jpg
Cold brew coffee (take-out, from Kava Kulture, Los Angeles, California, 8/5), and a cheeseburger (w/ angus beef patty, cheese, chopped celery, mayo, capers, lemon, pepper) with a side of fries (take-out, from The Morrison, Los Angeles, California, 8/5).

As of now, with my current work schedule from Mondays to Saturdays (from 8:00am to 4:30pm), I don't think I'll be able to take the day off from work on Saturday (9/17) to meet up with all of you in the daytime at CanJam SoCal in the Irvine Marriot.

What might work for me, on Saturday (9/17), is to get off one hour earlier from work (around 3:20pm), and head straight over to Irvine Marriot to meet up with (and get to know) some of you in the evening hour to hang out for a bit, try some iems/headphones and gear, and maybe get some food & drinks at a cafe/restaurant in the Orange county area. If an outing is likely to happen on Saturday evening, and more people are likely to join in for some food & drinks, I can bring a car, with seating up to seven people (including myself).

As for Sunday (9/18), I can meet up with you guys at the Irvine Marriot, or whichever place of meeting is preferred for listening to iems and audio gear, sharing some thoughts about music, gear and other interests/hobbies in the morning hour, from 7:30am to 9:45am, before CanJam SoCal starts.
VE8-IERZ1R-U12t-MESTMK1UIEMs-CASupermoonCIEM-iBassoDX300amp12-iBassoDX220amp8.jpg
First row (left to right): Vision Ears VE8 universal-fit iem w/ Plus Sound Audio 8-wire gold plated hybrid cable in 4.4, Sony IER-Z1R universal-fit iem w/ Plus Sound Audio 4-wire silver plated copper cable in 4.4, and iBasso DX300 w/ amp12.
Second row (left to right): 64 Audio U12t universal-fit iem (b-stock) w/ Plus Sound Audio 8-wire silver plated copper cable in 4.4, and Unique Melody MEST MK1 universal-fit iem w/ Plus Sound Audio 2-wire silver plated copper cable in 4.4.
Third row (left to right): Campfire Audio Supermoon custom-fit iem (in audiophile-fit) w/ Plus Sound Audio 8-wire silver plated copper cable in 4.4, and iBasso DX220 w/ amp8.

I'm sure most of you here at the Watercooler thread have heard/listened to these iems and digital audio players by now. For those who haven't and would like to give these iems and/or daps a try & listen, I'll bring in my iems and daps for demo listening at the Irvine Marriot, on Sunday morning (9/18, from 7:30am to 9:45am).

However, in case some changes happen with my schedule (due to family and/or work reasons), I'll let you all know a week ahead at latest before the first day (9/17) of CanJam SoCal. So, let's keep in touch, and I'll keep you all posted with updates (and if any changes come up along the way). =)

-Daniel.
I have you down as a yes. I'll create a PM list when it gets closer so we can communicate with each other. I'll give everyone my cell phone number to so you can text me.

Aug 6, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #31,372 of 89,992
Aug 6, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #31,373 of 89,992
Updated list of attendees. Shaping up nicely.

I will maintain a list of Watercooler attendees. I will try to see if I can get some 3d printed name tags so we can find each other.

Who from the Watercooler are planning to attend CanJam Socal? We need to have a drink somewhere.

@HiFiHawaii808
@discord
@Rockwell75
@Natesdailies (potential conflict)
@wolfstar76
@stacey
@morserotonin
@Skyediver
@Shecky504
@monduvo
@Chronos

Anyone else?

Given the line up of vendors and the hints of announcements so far, this show should be epic.

Aug 6, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #31,374 of 89,992
My uncle visited this afternoon, he's a music fanatic and has had various high end systems over the years... I mentioned here before actually that I used to drool over his Denon system way back in the early 90s as a teenager visiting his home at the time.

Anyway, I recommended he take a listen to Traillii via the M9 - he loves Agnes Obel so I selected 'Fuel to Fire'. His reaction was absolutely priceless, I wish I had taken a photo - he looked utterly amazed and announced he has never heard the track sound so beautiful, noting hearing detail he never knew existed. It's amazing to observe a fellow music lover having their first experience of music in this way.

I'm pretty confident he'll be joining this hobby!

Aug 6, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #31,375 of 89,992
Coltrane gives me a headache, made a mistake and went to see some free style jazz at the village vanguard for a late show after 10 course with pairings at altera, and my girlfriend got nauseas. It was probably the margaritas we slammed before the show at some Mexican bar, but I blame the Coltrane free style esk music stylings.
That stuff came later, early on he was doing what many others were, American standards.

I agree free jazz stuff like the album Ascension which came in 1965, is a work out to try and listen to, there are moments though I find it a bit too much work to get to them, amazing actually how many changes to his thoughts on what he wanted to say in 10 years 1955-1965. 1965 was also the year A Love Supreme came out, clearly lots of experimentation and boundary pushing.

Hey not trying to say anything about what any one else should enjoy to listen to, or needs to hear like music 101, that is clearly your own journey, respectfully.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #31,376 of 89,992
That stuff came later, early on he was doing what many others were, American standards.

I agree free jazz stuff like the album Ascension which came in 1965, is a work out to try and listen to, there are moments but I find it a bit to much work to get to them, amazing actually how many changes to his thoughts on what he wanted to say in 10 years 1955-1965. 1965 was also the year A Love Supreme came out, clearly lots of experimentation and boundary pushing.

Hey not trying to say anything about what any one else should enjoy to listen to, or needs to hear like music 101, that is clearly your own journey, respectfully.
I'm pretty into free jazz myself, but it's definitely a context-sensitive enjoyment. I have to be in the right mood for something like Ascension or Conquistador to hit right. I find that IEMs with massive stages make the listening experience much less confusingly chaotic and more "neatly" chaotic (in an organized chaos kind of way).

Aug 6, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #31,377 of 89,992
Not knocking anything just more of a downtempo, groove in the pocket kind of guy

Aug 6, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #31,378 of 89,992

I agree free jazz stuff like the album Ascension which came in 1965, is a work out to try and listen to, there are moments though I find it a bit too much work to get to them, amazing actually how many changes to his thoughts on what he wanted to say in 10 years 1955-1965. 1965 was also the year A Love Supreme came out, clearly lots of experimentation and boundary pushing.

yeah, I wasn't a fan of free jazz because to me what makes jazz special are the chord progressions, modulations and modes. The structure is as important as improvisation within that structure. I do enjoy when an artist occasionally plays outside of the changes because it is in relation to those changes so the odd sound is within a context. It sounds cool and then the artist syncs back up with the changes and you see that it was intentional. Otherwise, free jazz is just random playing and it can be hard to follow.

Aug 6, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #31,379 of 89,992
Updated list of attendees. Shaping up nicely.

I will maintain a list of Watercooler attendees. I will try to see if I can get some 3d printed name tags so we can find each other.

Who from the Watercooler are planning to attend CanJam Socal? We need to have a drink somewhere.

@HiFiHawaii808
@discord
@Rockwell75
@Natesdailies (potential conflict)
@wolfstar76
@stacey
@morserotonin
@Skyediver
@Shecky504
@monduvo
@Chronos

Anyone else?

Given the line up of vendors and the hints of announcements so far, this show should be epic.

Just thinking out loud, if you are going to get a private room, maybe align with Musicteck to have some samples available for listening after the show hours? I still have the image of their tables stuck in my mind from CanJam NYC, over crowded with people sitting on top of each other to get a listen lol

canjam_nyc-2022-musicteck_table-7.jpg

Aug 6, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #31,380 of 89,992
Just thinking out loud, if you are going to get a private room, maybe align with Musicteck to have some samples available for listening after the show hours? I still have the image of their tables stuck in my mind from CanJam NYC, over crowded with people sitting on top of each other to get a listen lol

canjam_nyc-2022-musicteck_table-7.jpg
Good idea. It was very crowded in the Musicteck booth in NYC. It will be way more crowded in Socal since this year will be bigger than last year and last year had lines 6 deep or more at times. The good news is that Andrew does a great job of having lots of chairs and lots of gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back