The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread
May 18, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #3,286 of 4,701
  Actually rx900 semi-open. Rx700 is closed. HM5's are a nice headphone but I find those alot darker than than takstars. Not so much because of the bass but because of limited highs. But apparently the newer versions of hm5 are brighter than the old ones. Neutral and affordable headphones are pretty hard to come by I guess. If you don't mind buying used you can get audio-technica ath-m40fs for about $30. One of the most underrated headphones imo... old and ugly but sound makes up for it,  if lack of colorations is what you are after.

i wouldnt say the rx900's are neutral they're more bassy than the 700's. 

May 19, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #3,287 of 4,701
Since I was set on trading in my pair for some nice used headphone, I pulled the trigger on an ATH a900x. Its been said to be a step up from the M50's, so hopefully that means its a step up from the Pro 80's. With the only con being I don't think I could ever wear them outdoors (lol)

May 19, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #3,288 of 4,701
Hi and thanks a lot for your comment that i find very interesting.  Let me comment between the lines.  I am very interested because i bought two of them
redface.gif
frown.gif

Quote:
Ok returning my Takstar 80's, they are too much like my car speakers which almost deafened me, because you have to turn it so loud to hear the scooped out details that the lower bass will deafen you.

I miss what are you using to drive them.  Could it be the amp that is not controlling the diaphragm well enough ? like too high Z out of the amp ?

And if you try EQ'ing, it will sound ugly and artificial, so its simply a lose-lose.

This is an extreme interesting discussion.   I was thinking the same but i understand that the sound becomes artificial ?   what have you used to EQ them ?

Any (far more) neutral headphones in the price range? I see you guys say IEM's are a better bang for your buck, which defies all logic for me, since they are also far more convenient than full-size headphones.

I have the feeling that if you can bear them IEM can give a spectacularly clean and transparent sound.  But they must be bearable ... i have problems after a while.
I am looking to some IEM built for jogging, even if i do not jog, but said to have very good sound. I like the little support around the ear .
I like these ones here for instance ... not very cheap.

http://www.lydogbilde.no/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/XTZ_Earphone12_sports.png

Thanks again,  gino

May 19, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #3,289 of 4,701
@ginetto61 I wish I could give some advice on sports headphones because I myself looked through quite a bit, but at the end of the day it really depends on what sorts of FR styles you enjoy, how your ears are shaped, whether or not you're an earbud guy, etc. etc.

If you don't care about isolation or sound leakage, the best bang for your buck in this category is the KSC75 but you should already know that. Without mods, their build quality is abysmal, but they offer spectacularly airy treble. I owned an ATH sonic sport, and it was completely lacking in bass but extremely detailed and clear with great 3d positioning. The sennheiser 685 line has better than average clarity and I enjoyed the nice chunky mid-bass and decent treble sparkle of my PMX 685m earbuds, but its build quality is questionable. 

I use software EQ: EqualizerAPO. From what I remember you said you wanted to EQ your headphones as well. As far as I can tell, the bass has less distortion than the mids/treble and sounds better EQ'd. I don't amp them, though reading around everyone says they are a fairly efficient headphone regardless. The recessed clarity is at 4khz, exactly where the FR says it should be, so, yeah.

May 19, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #3,290 of 4,701
@ginetto61 I wish I could give some advice on sports headphones because I myself looked through quite a bit, but at the end of the day it really depends on what sorts of FR styles you enjoy, how your ears are shaped, whether or not you're an earbud guy, etc. etc.
If you don't care about isolation or sound leakage, the best bang for your buck in this category is the KSC75 but you should already know that.
Without mods, their build quality is abysmal, but they offer spectacularly airy treble. I owned an ATH sonic sport, and it was completely lacking in bass but extremely detailed and clear with great 3d positioning. The sennheiser 685 line has better than average clarity and I enjoyed the nice chunky mid-bass and decent treble sparkle of my PMX 685m earbuds, but its build quality is questionable.

Hi thanks a lot for the very valuable advice.  I understand the potential for excellent sound of the IEMs.  I remember Etymotic units gaining class A in Stereophile magazine.
I am not able to perform mods in anyway.  I usually end with broken pieces
redface.gif

I will read the specific threads.

I use software EQ: EqualizerAPO. From what I remember you said you wanted to EQ your headphones as well. As far as I can tell, the bass has less distortion than the mids/treble and sounds better EQ'd. I don't amp them, though reading around everyone says they are a fairly efficient headphone regardless. The recessed clarity is at 4khz, exactly where the FR says it should be, so, yeah.

Yes i am very interest in th EQ if is not a detrimental process of course.  I am quite confused because i read different opinions.  Like EQ decreases the overall resolution .. but i am not an expert

Regarding the amp i think you should try a good one before discarding a HP.  If you are using a on-board pc sound card to drive the HP you can have issue of control. If i am not wrong they use 5Volt ?
I do not think that 5V is enough. 
Low out impedance from the amp and good current delivery, low noise and distortion is what to look at
FiiO units for instance are quite ok.  I have a E9 that i think it is underrated ... very underrated.  It is a good piece.
Thanks again,  gino 

May 19, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #3,291 of 4,701
Well you were right, I was doing something wrong. I wasn't putting the Pro 80's tight enough around my ears. Now the soundstage width has shrunk dramatically and feels a bit more like IEM, but the clarity is increased. It won't change too much about my review of these headphones, since it still has recessed upper mids, but at least I can hear it now, so overall its a net positive and I could see myself using these as everyday headphones, I kind of regret buying the a900x now, but oh well, they are already on the way. On the frequencies that the Pro 80's do bring through, it brings them through crystal clear.

The worse headphone gets the boot, it technically should be the Pro 80, but you never know.

May 20, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #3,292 of 4,701
  Well you were right, I was doing something wrong. I wasn't putting the Pro 80's tight enough around my ears. Now the soundstage width has shrunk dramatically and feels a bit more like IEM, but the clarity is increased. It won't change too much about my review of these headphones, since it still has recessed upper mids, but at least I can hear it now, so overall its a net positive and I could see myself using these as everyday headphones, I kind of regret buying the a900x now, but oh well, they are already on the way. On the frequencies that the Pro 80's do bring through, it brings them through crystal clear.

The worse headphone gets the boot, it technically should be the Pro 80, but you never know.

I'm quite curious. What are you using as a baseline comparison to the Pro 80s? 

May 20, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #3,293 of 4,701

I'm quite curious. What are you using as a baseline comparison to the Pro 80s? 

Like all the headphones I ever had? 

When I talk about its soundstage, I'm saying its wider than some IEM's I've had such as the SHE3595 though still comparable, and far smaller than my JVC HA-s680.

When I say it has recessed mid-highs I'm comparing it to the KSC75 and well most other headphones I've had which didn't experience this. I've had headphones like the PMX685 and CKP500 but I don't mention stuff like that b/c no one has heard of them. The KSC75, obviously, has way better treble and airiness, the CKP500 had more clear mids, though the Takstar has the best sub-bass I've ever heard. And also I hear live music/concerts... I mean this is the price I got my JVC s680 at and the Takstar blows it out of the water, not in all aspects, but definitely overall as the better headphone.

May 20, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #3,294 of 4,701
Well, being closed it does lack a bit of soundstage, but are you really sure you'd compare these to an IEM? Did you give them a bit of burn-in?

I mean, some people even sold their DT770s etc. in favor of these. Afterall, it all goes down to a matter of taste, so I'm not saying you're wrong, but you're the first person who really complained about the bass and/or soundstage under this aspect.

P.S. To all of you (that possibly also have more expensive headphones), what would be your ideal upgrade to The Takstar Hi2050s or the Pro80s?

May 20, 2015 at 4:12 AM Post #3,295 of 4,701
The Pro80 needs a decent source and amp. It sounds closed and congested out of devices like the iPhone

May 20, 2015 at 4:17 AM Post #3,297 of 4,701
  Well, being closed it does lack a bit of soundstage, but are you really sure you'd compare these to an IEM? Did you give them a bit of burn-in?

I mean, some people even sold their DT770s etc. in favor of these. Afterall, it all goes down to a matter of taste, so I'm not saying you're wrong, but you're the first person who really complained about the bass and/or soundstage under this aspect.

P.S. To all of you (that possibly also have more expensive headphones), what would be your ideal upgrade to The Takstar Hi2050s or the Pro80s?

Depends on your needs. For closed the MrSpeakers alpha dogs are a bit in the pro80 direction. I haven't heard the Mad Dogs so can't comment on that...

For the HI2050 perhaps something like the he-400(i)?

Yes, I'm biased toward planars :p

But really it depends on what you're looking for and what you want to improve upon in the headphones you have now.

May 20, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #3,298 of 4,701
Hi while i completely agree of the importance of a good amp (i have a pair of k701 that with a lap top sound flat and dry and a little harsh but much much better with a dedicate amp) i do not want to sound naive but also wiring inside the HP and outside make some differences.  For instance a good mic cable is so much better than a cheap HP cable that is unbelievable. I hear it for sure.
Unfortunately this implies some mods ... not easy at all to perform.
But the effect is unbelievable.
Bye,  gino

May 20, 2015 at 5:20 AM Post #3,299 of 4,701
  Depends on your needs. For closed the MrSpeakers alpha dogs are a bit in the pro80 direction. I haven't heard the Mad Dogs so can't comment on that...

For the HI2050 perhaps something like the he-400(i)?

Yes, I'm biased toward planars :p

But really it depends on what you're looking for and what you want to improve upon in the headphones you have now.

I am waiting to receive my Takstars but I was just curious. That's all... Is it worth Modding a Fostex T50RP on your own (I have no real modding skill, but I figure I can do the basic stuff such as stuffing, closing, sealing ecc) or is a Mad Dog better?

May 20, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #3,300 of 4,701

I am waiting to receive my Takstars but I was just curious. That's all... Is it worth Modding a Fostex T50RP on your own (I have no real modding skill, but I figure I can do the basic stuff such as stuffing, closing, sealing ecc) or is a Mad Dog better?

Good question, I would say: depends. Yes you can mod it yourself, but you'll void any warranty you might have. The MrSpeakers mod is pretty nice (judging by the Alpha's ofc). It depends a bit on your taste as well. The Mad Dogs are on sale as we speak so I think it's a pretty good deal to get a pair now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back