The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread
May 22, 2015 at 6:11 AM Post #3,316 of 4,701
  When I was modding the Pro 80 cable I noticed that the stock cable is actually pretty good.  Better than what you get with a lot of the Sennheisers and Sonys. It's a 24 AWG copper wire, which is more than adequate.

Hi thanks for the info.  So much better than the hi2050. Good.  I have been told that at least 28AWG should be used.
I remember from the school that AWG goes with the current flowing.

I do not understand why they use 24AWG for a mic cable, where the current is almost nothing, and in some HPs they use just a thin hair.
and even in not so cheap HPs !!! come on ... give us a little more copper please ! 
mad.gif

If i am not wrong 28AWG is the gauge of usb tiny data wires ... i do not think it is a big issue
And i am almost completely sure that some nice differences could be heard
But AWG aside the real challenge is the soldering process ... it is an extremely delicate process.
I have now excellent mic cable, excellent alloy 2% Ag
but i risk to destroy the diaphragm with the heat ...
frown.gif

Thanks again,  gino

May 23, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #3,318 of 4,701
  Just  out of a water pipes of a single house you can get enough copper to  cable all the sennheiser hd800 that were ever made. They would give you more copper, if it actually made any sense...sonically.

Hi do you mean that all the market of custom/boutique HP cables is a rip-off ?
Like for instance this one here ... 

http://www.moon-audio.com/black-dragon-cable-sennheiser-hd800-headphones.html

I can only say one thing.  I had a sennheiser ovation ... i think they were the 565 maybe ? the sound was very good indeed, The headband broke and the cable was a complete joke, especially the plastic terminations.
A shame for such drivers ... i understand cost saving but for some details, that details are not, is plainly silly.
In quantity a slightly better cable would add very little money to the total ... i would be extremely willing to pay that more cash.
Look at the best HP on the market and be amazed at the quality of their wirings.  And they are much more thick that what i have here. 
I said 28AWG ... i am not into water pipes.  I am not a plumber, with all the respect. 
And i repeat ...

the first law is the Ohm law.  And section goes with the current.  
If in a mic cable they use 24AWG and in an HP cable they use a thin hair one of the two is stupid.   Who ?

I do not know if you understand the question.
I think that they know and they do not want to provide a too good cheap product that put the best ones out of the game.
So they put some bugs in the design.
The drivers in the taskar are not worse of those in the Grado ... maybe even better. 
Regards, gino 

May 23, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #3,319 of 4,701
To answer your questions, scientifically and physically, boutique cable indeed are a luxury item and to most people are a waste of money. Low oxygen copper was designed for high accuracy measuring equipment and sensitive application like the Hadron collider, and it's benefits are completely lost when taking normal room temperature into consideration. Standard copper, when proper gauge is used, is completely adequate for audio applications. 

May 23, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #3,320 of 4,701
  To answer your questions, scientifically and physically, boutique cable indeed are a luxury item and to most people are a waste of money. Low oxygen copper was designed for high accuracy measuring equipment and sensitive application like the Hadron collider, and it's benefits are completely lost when taking normal room temperature into consideration. 

Hi i thank you sincerely but you have not answered my fundamental question that i propose again, as a base for discussion 

If in a mic cable they use 24AWG and in an HP cable they use a thin hair one of the two is stupid.   Who ?

needless to say that the current in and headphone cable is immensely superior than the current in a mic cable
Can i ask at least for the same gauge or i am asking something beyond the human possibility ?
28AWG is usually the gauge of usb data wires .... please ... even the stupid usb is bigger ... 

Standard copper, when proper gauge is used, is completely adequate for audio applications. 

i have to take a wild guess ??? 
rolleyes.gif
  about this mysterious proper gauge i mean ? what are we talking about ?? really ... what is a proper gauge ? what number ???
my take is 26 .... +/- 2

Now i give my opinion ... poor people do not deserve satisfaction.  I am absolutely sure that great and cheap products are absolutely doable.
like i am absolutely sure that even very expensive HPs used unbelievably cheap drivers, that in the end make the sound. 
But if i make a wonderful 50 USD headphone ... who will buy my 100 usd or more models ?    
It is just that ... IMHO
Regards, gino 

May 23, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #3,321 of 4,701
Hi i thank you sincerely but you have not answered my fundamental question that i propose again, as a base for discussion 

[COLOR=0000FF]If in a mic cable they use 24AWG and in an HP cable they use a thin hair one of the two is stupid.   Who ?[/COLOR]

needless to say that the current in and headphone cable is immensely superior than the current in a mic cable
Can i ask at least for the same gauge or i am asking something beyond the human possibility ?
28AWG is usually the gauge of usb data wires .... please ... even the stupid usb is bigger ... 

i have to take a wild guess ??? :rolleyes:   about this mysterious proper gauge i mean ? what are we talking about ?? really ... what is a proper gauge ? what number ???
my take is 26 .... +/- 2

Now i give my opinion ... poor people do not deserve satisfaction. [COLOR=FF0000] I am absolutely sure that great and cheap products are absolutely doable.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=FF0000]like i am absolutely sure that even very expensive HPs used unbelievably cheap drivers, that in the end make the sound. [/COLOR]
But if i make a wonderful 50 USD headphone ... who will buy my 100 usd or more models ?    
It is just that ... IMHO
Regards, gino 

If you check out the sound science part on this forum I'm sure you'll find plenty of people to talk about cables with but I don't think this is the right place since these discussions almost always get overheated and always get the thread to loose focus :)

May 23, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #3,323 of 4,701
Hey guys, I've got to say comfort on the HM5 pads is wonderful! I'm roughly at 50 hours burn in and I feel the pro80s are still a bit "veiled" but i'm confident they will change... I can confirm these headphones do not forgive bad recordings/quality formats

May 23, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #3,324 of 4,701

i have to take a wild guess ??? 
rolleyes.gif
  about this mysterious proper gauge i mean ? what are we talking about ?? really ... what is a proper gauge ? what number ???
my take is 26 .... +/- 2

Now i give my opinion ... poor people do not deserve satisfaction.  I am absolutely sure that great and cheap products are absolutely doable.
like i am absolutely sure that even very expensive HPs used unbelievably cheap drivers, that in the end make the sound. 
It is just that ... IMHO
Regards, gino 

To answer shortly: wire gauge require to be upgraded to minimise resistance, inductance and capacitance over distance. Because headphones usually have such a short cable, which is low current and requires to be as light as possible for the comfort of the user, companies will opt to go for a very small gauge wire with slightly better insulation. Microphone companies will use a larger gauge wire, and in most cases, leading edge insulation because of the microphonics and interference the cable can pick up in the recording, as well as microphones usually have very long cable which is place along side numerous other electronic equipment that could interfere with the recording signal. Because recording is much more sensitive that playback, the cable gauge might be worth an upgrade to maintain quality on the product, this is not really the case for headphones though.

May 24, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #3,325 of 4,701
  To answer shortly: wire gauge require to be upgraded to minimise resistance, inductance and capacitance over distance. Because headphones usually have such a short cable, which is low current and requires to be as light as possible for the comfort of the user, companies will opt to go for a very small gauge wire with slightly better insulation.
Microphone companies will use a larger gauge wire, and in most cases, leading edge insulation because of the microphonics and interference the cable can pick up in the recording, as well as microphones usually have very long cable which is place along side numerous other electronic equipment that could interfere with the recording signal.
Because recording is much more sensitive that playback, the cable gauge might be worth an upgrade to maintain quality on the product, this is not really the case for headphones though.

Hi and just to thank you for your kind and valuable advice from my exile in the Sound Science section ... 
redface.gif

biggrin.gif
   actually the advice to move there has been a very helpful one. 
Yes the AWG is less than a problem in general and especially with high Z headphones.
A 26 but even 28 AWG of good quality stranded copper would be really enough in any case. 
My attitude is that if overkill is too expensive i pass ... but in this case a 26 AWG mic cable is not that expensive. Or 28 AWG.
Instead i would like to see more HP like this one here with a mini XLR connection  ... that frees to use an extension cable of choice ....
Thanks a lot,  gino 

May 24, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #3,326 of 4,701
  Hi and just to thank you for your kind and valuable advice from my exile in the Sound Science section ... 
redface.gif

biggrin.gif
   actually the advice to move there has been a very helpful one. 
Yes the AWG is less than a problem in general and especially with high Z headphones.
A 26 but even 28 AWG of good quality stranded copper would be really enough in any case. 
My attitude is that if overkill is too expensive i pass ... but in this case a 26 AWG mic cable is not that expensive. Or 28 AWG.
Instead i would like to see more HP like this one here with a mini XLR connection  ... that frees to use an extension cable of choice ....
Thanks a lot,  gino 

My favourite are the HiFiMAN connectors: http://hifiman.com/Products/?pid=83

May 24, 2015 at 5:00 AM Post #3,328 of 4,701
  Yes ! wonderful ! things like that ...  i understand that only very expensive HPs have this attention to details that maybe only details are not
Thanks,  gino 

They're not appealing to the normal consumer. Companies would rather cater to the 99% instead of the 1% who cares about that kid of stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back