The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread
May 14, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #3,256 of 4,701
Hi and yes ! in the HP itself.   But if a change of amp eliminates the brightness it is a matching issue i guess. Some HPs are a complex load ... not all the amp have the same abilities to drive complex loads.

Ah, the pro80 did have some shrillnes to them when first using them. They have mellowed out with use. Shrillnes was never much though.

Could you explain why the wiring is bad on the hi2050?

May 14, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #3,257 of 4,701
I don't remember how Takstars sounded before break in because I've had hi2050 since 2012 and pro80's since 2013. Still I call these bright headphones. If I was to over simplify there are three kind of headphones, dark, neutral and bright...all in varying degrees of course. For me sennheiser hd600 are pretty neutral, maybe bit more highs and that would be it. Beyerdynamic dt880 are bright and there is nothing wrong with that. Something between those two is what I'd say is neutral. AKG K501 with more bass would be pretty close. Maybe K701 is neutral but it has been a long time since I owned those for a while so I can't say for sure. For me those lacked the body in midrange that K501 had making K701 not a worthy headphone to keep.

Out of my current headphones Martin Logan Mikros90's are the ones I feel come closest to neutral sound. Don't bother looking for measurements though. Mikros are known of having sound variations between models so a single measurements are useless. Over the years I've had many headphones with different sound signatures. I enjoy jvc dx1000 that is a dark headphone but my most used headphone is Sony MDR-Sa5000 which is known for being a very bright headphone. Headphones with different character are okay, because I have a very neutral system for using the headphones. Dx1000 sounds full and bassy without being too dead on the top. Sa5000 is bright but not hard on the ears or sibilant. Takstars fall into that category with Sony's. So do dt880 and superlux hd681 for example.

It is when you don't have a neutral system to begin with you run into problems. If you pair dark headphones with dark amp= too dark. Bright headphones with bright amp= Shrill and sibilance. If you pair neutral headphones with dark or bright amp the worst you get is maybe too much bass and lacking highs or a bit hot top end. Again that is over simplifying but that is pretty much how it goes.

May 14, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #3,258 of 4,701
Hello guys,

While my Takstars are being processed here in the Milano Customs I just wanted to tell you all that the Pro80s are NOW ON SALE on Massdrop, if anyone is interested!

May 14, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #3,259 of 4,701
Ah, the pro80 did have some shrillnes to them when first using them. They have mellowed out with use. Shrillnes was never much though.
Could you explain why the wiring is bad on the hi2050?

Hi i would have preferred a bigger gauge than the one used

i understand that the current is not that much and that the coil is also a thin hair
I have been suggested  26AWG wires and it is what i will try to use. It is the gauge in mini mic cables.
In a mic cable the current is much much lower and still you see even 21AWG wire to transfer the signal (**Effective AWG of combined twin conductors...)
One example here 

http://www.canare.com/ProductItemDisplay.aspx?productItemID=53

i would like to add that i made a 3 meters extension cable with a mic cable and Neutrik connectors. For me was perfect.
To add it in series or removing it ... no difference at all.  The Neutrik stereo plug was magnificient. Great feeling of robustness. 

However to recable an headphone the delicate part is soldering
I have not understood completely the most promising technique ... maybe a small tip and the alloy only on the wire ?
I have decided to sacrifice one pair for the progress of science ... 
biggrin.gif

Thanks again,  gino  

May 14, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #3,260 of 4,701
  Hello guys,

While my Takstars are being processed here in the Milano Customs I just wanted to tell you all that the Pro80s are NOW ON SALE on Massdrop, if anyone is interested!

Good for you.

Mine are still stuck in china. I used google translate and guess what.

离开【广州航站】 means Terminal leave [ Guangzhou ]
Nothing happened for nine days.

Never ordering from Aliexpress again.

May 14, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #3,261 of 4,701

Good for you.

Mine are still stuck in china. I used google translate and guess what.

离开【广州航站】 means Terminal leave [ Guangzhou ]
Nothing happened for nine days.

Never ordering from Aliexpress again.

I'm sorry to hear that RedHarlow :'( Where do you live?

May 14, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #3,262 of 4,701
  I don't remember how Takstars sounded before break in because I've had hi2050 since 2012 and pro80's since 2013. Still I call these bright headphones. If I was to over simplify there are three kind of headphones, dark, neutral and bright...all in varying degrees of course. For me sennheiser hd600 are pretty neutral, maybe bit more highs and that would be it. Beyerdynamic dt880 are bright and there is nothing wrong with that. Something between those two is what I'd say is neutral. AKG K501 with more bass would be pretty close. Maybe K701 is neutral but it has been a long time since I owned those for a while so I can't say for sure.
For me those lacked the body in midrange that K501 had making K701 not a worthy headphone to keep... 

Hi ! a long journey ... just a quick question.  I guess the amp was always the same ? which one ? i am curious having both 501 and 701 myself now. 
So i am sincerely curious.
I am using one from SAC very similar to this one here ... but different model name and PS (better).
http://cdn.head-fi.org/8/8c/8cb4cfb2_vbattach21651.jpg
Not bad 
Thanks, gino  

May 14, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #3,264 of 4,701
My girlfriend always orders from Aliexpress and she's never had problems... Wait time is indeed long enough, but it's cheap nontheless. I've ordered several different articles  trusting her experience and I must say it took a while but things always arrived.

I just wish the tracking was a bit more clear/updated.

May 14, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #3,266 of 4,701
Ok...that isn't cool at all. But usually it is the wait time in china that takes longest. Then it shouldn't take more than couple of days to get transported. I'm not sure how it works but I would guess there are some quotas suppliers try to meet before shipping the items. Large amounts=low expenses= free for you. If that how it works maybe you placed your order just when the last patch had shipped... Anyway if you don't receive your order in a week you could open a dispute. You might get something for the trouble and if it takes forever you might get full refund. That is what is good about aliexpress, if you are not satisfied there is a good change you get refunded. Not so much with ebay and places like that...

May 14, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #3,267 of 4,701

Germany. Got an e-mail on 25th of april that the order was shipped. Now three weeks later the order is still in china? Give me a screw** break.

Roderick is right, most free shipping works like this: The ship will set sail once it's full. So you might just be unlucky :/ I've waited about 45 days for my Pro 80 (ordered right before Chinese New Year and I guess they only shipped it after...).

May 15, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #3,268 of 4,701

However to recable an headphone the delicate part is soldering
I have not understood completely the most promising technique ... maybe a small tip and the alloy only on the wire ?
I have decided to sacrifice one pair for the progress of science ... 
biggrin.gif

Thanks again,  gino  

There is only one good technique: hot enough, fast enough and let it settle on it's own without moving the wire or blowing on the solder as it cools. The latter leads to a cold solder joint which will fail in time. If it doesn't look "shiny" you've got a cold solder.

And always try to follow this diagram:

Solder should flow around the joint and since the resin core flows towards the hottest point the only way to get it is by soldering as in the picture.

Only then will you get a proper joint.

Also: buy a third hand! 

May 15, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #3,269 of 4,701
Finally received them and they sound absolutely spectacular.  Sound-wise I am not disappointed one bit.

The one area where I find they are lacking is in sound isolation.  I take the subway every day and the constant buzzing noise is overpowering these headphones.  I need to crank the volume up a couple notches to drown out the subway noise.  For when I'm at home, they are really good at isolating normal sounds, but the subway is just too much.

People keep raving about the HM5 pads, do those offer better isolation? Would other pads do a better job?

Thanks guys.

May 16, 2015 at 3:04 AM Post #3,270 of 4,701
Finally received them and they sound absolutely spectacular.  Sound-wise I am not disappointed one bit.

The one area where I find they are lacking is in sound isolation.  I take the subway every day and the constant buzzing noise is overpowering these headphones.  I need to crank the volume up a couple notches to drown out the subway noise.  For when I'm at home, they are really good at isolating normal sounds, but the subway is just too much.

People keep raving about the HM5 pads, do those offer better isolation? Would other pads do a better job?

Thanks guys.

Isolation is a bit better, mostly because they're softer and form around your head. I don't think they'll give you the isolation you want though. If you really want quiet you'll probably be better off with active noise canceling like the m4u-2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back