The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread
May 12, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #3,241 of 4,701
If you think it's really that bad then no amount of pads or cable will fix it. The Pro80 doesn't have shrill treble IMO in fact I think it's treble is quite rolled off and could be more forward. You may be very treble sensitive. My CAL2 has more treble presence than the Pro80 so something is amiss

Well I mean I'm echoing other reviews that call it bright yet NOT having sparkle like KSC 75 or something, due to the rolled off nature. Which imo is the worst of both worlds.

May 12, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #3,242 of 4,701
Nice, any first impression? Do you have the Pro80's to compare with?

My initial impression would be, that these headphone's are very capable. They produce a sound that is very clear, detailed and foward. A touch warm but very neutral!

I don't have the pro 80's but I have a few other closed can's to compare to, and I will say these sound damn good!. 

The build caught my eye at first, as they remind me of a m50/msr7 style or perhaps a shure. 

Very comfortable and the soft pleather pads are a step up, similar to the momemtum's.

I'm going to give these puppies about two weeks before I give my final thoughts, but I will say that these are wonderful for the price. 

50 dollars aus or your regional equivalent, even the un-boxing was beyond my expectation, a credit to ISK.

I'm also waiting on these to arrive from Massdrop soon too:

May 13, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #3,243 of 4,701
Nice, any first impression? Do you have the Pro80's to compare with?

My initial impression would be, that these headphone's are very capable. They produce a sound that is very clear, detailed and foward. A touch warm but very neutral!

I don't have the pro 80's but I have a few other closed can's to compare to, and I will say these sound damn good!. 

The build caught my eye at first, as they remind me of a m50/msr7 style or perhaps a shure. 

Very comfortable and the soft pleather pads are a step up, similar to the momemtum's.

I'm going to give these puppies about two weeks before I give my final thoughts, but I will say that these are wonderful for the price. 

50 dollars aus or your regional equivalent, even the un-boxing was beyond my expectation, a credit to ISK.

Give us your final thoughts whenever you can about this set of cans! I'm curious!

May 13, 2015 at 3:45 AM Post #3,244 of 4,701

Thanks for sharing, sounds interesting. Closed back are not my prefered headphones but I'm always interested in good value for money :wink:

Please keep us posted on your final verdict on them.

May 14, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #3,245 of 4,701
Ok got the smallest extension cord I could find locally so that I could plug the Gemini HSR1000 in my laptop without the plug falling off... and its 6ft, and though there shouldn't, there is a definite decrease in sound quality. Across most of my headphones with the extension cable. 

Without the extension cord it sounds pretty good, like a more accurate version of my JVC s680 with 1/2 the soundstage, however with an ugly lower-bass boost keeping it from being neutral and its also missing treble sparkle. With the extension cord.... meh, sounds far less accurate and clear, and more bloated like my JVC s680. 

Soooo would a smaller 6'' extension cord stop the degradation? I doubt it. What I really need obviously is a DAC+amp but its way out of my budget, so is the HSR 1000 simply not worth it in my situation?

May 14, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #3,246 of 4,701
  Man I need to get a headphone extension cable to even plug it in, 2 dollar value which will takes months to arrive from china. And 20 dollar HM5 pads for a headphone that has shrill treble and zero soundstage, similar to my 15 dollar philips IEM. 

Maybe the shrillness you're hearing is actually the 1k shrill.  Try eq'ing down the 1k (maybe 500, 1k, 2k area, but probably just 1k)  a couple db and see if it helps.  The Pro 80 can dig into my brain if I don't.

May 14, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #3,247 of 4,701
..  the extension cord.... 

Hi i do not know if you are good ad DIY.  But i think that the average quality of cheap extension cords can be very low and also connectors are important.

I build one 3 meters ext cord for my Grado sr200 many years ago.  Two plugs from Neutrik and a mic cable from Canare.  I do no want to say that the sound was better with the ext cord in but surely the ext cord was not a weak link.
For me at least was quite perfect and the quality of the connectors sublime. But also Canare make great cable indeed.

I have opened the Takstar hi2050 because i want to try to rewire them,
When i saw the quality of wiring i wanted to cry.  I am gonna use a mini mic cable from Canare.
It is a very delicate soldering unfortunately.  But i have big expectations.
So in my opinion bad cables make a difference. With a little DIY you can build an excellent cable.   
Bye, gino 

May 14, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #3,248 of 4,701
Both pr80 and hi2050 are bright headphones and because of that I would not recommend those for people who are not sure if their system is neutral or if it has tendency to boost lower or higher frequencies. For that reason Takstars are not ideal beginner headphones. I've had $100-200 amp dac combos, some of which the sound was great on others it was shrill. On most laptops and pc onboard soundcards sound is on the shrill side.

Theuprising should propably look for other headphones or save for cheap amp/dac combo.. You propably have a bright sounding laptop and if you are also sensitive to highs...No pads or extension cords are going to make you enjoy the headphones.

Gino, have you tried hi2050 extension cable? I don't need extension cables but I did try the one that came with hi2050. Sounded fine to my ears.

May 14, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #3,249 of 4,701
  Both pr80 and hi2050 are bright headphones ,,,,

Hi even after break in ? ... if so could that be HP distortion ? in this case it is a very bad thing ... 

Quote:
Gino, have you tried hi2050 extension cable? I don't need extension cables but I did try the one that came with hi2050. Sounded fine to my ears.

Hi ! not yet ! 
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

I am trying to rewire them.  I am afraid i will burn them out in the process ... 
Anyway i will use a mini mic cable from Canare ... this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221345140516?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

terminated with a XLR plug. I like very much the AKG approach with a mini xlr connection.  I will use standard XLRs .. a little on the heavy side but great connectors.
Actually i was even thinking to use good RCA with locking mechanism ... if they are ok for digital they can be sublime for analog.
From them to the amp i have bought an off-the-shelf xlr to stereo plug cable made for microphones.
After seeing the wire used to cable the HP i have grown a huge respect even for the wires inside the usb cable ... that actually could also work nicely maybe

I am waiting to receive the mic cable and then i will proceed. 
Thanks again for asking.  I need some psychological support ...
redface.gif

Actually it is not my first DIY adventure. I built an extension cable with Neutrik connectors and Canare mic cable for Grado sr200 many year ago.  Amazing results. 
I tend to believe in cables and connectors quality to be very important. 
That Neutrik plug ... what a wonder ...

Bye,  gino   
beyersmile.png

May 14, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #3,251 of 4,701
Ok got the smallest extension cord I could find locally so that I could plug the Gemini HSR1000 in my laptop without the plug falling off... and its 6ft, and though there shouldn't, there is a definite decrease in sound quality. Across most of my headphones with the extension cable. 

Without the extension cord it sounds pretty good, like a more accurate version of my JVC s680 with 1/2 the soundstage, however with an ugly lower-bass boost keeping it from being neutral and its also missing treble sparkle. With the extension cord.... meh, sounds far less accurate and clear, and more bloated like my JVC s680. 

Soooo would a smaller 6'' extension cord stop the degradation? I doubt it. What I really need obviously is a DAC+amp but its way out of my budget, so is the HSR 1000 simply not worth it in my situation?

I don't know what your budget is but a semi decent amp can be had for not much, for instance the fiio e6. It can be had for 30 bucks on mp4nation.net. They have pretty good prices, saw some small extension cables there as well. Perhaps a second hand on the trade forum?

Personally I think the pro 80 sounds wonderful decently amped. It won't stack up to my hifimans but you can't ask that in this price category. As for the hm5 pads, the velour ate nice but kill the bass. The pleather ones increase comfort but don't really alter the sound signature (perhaps a fraction less bass because of the thickness of the pads)

May 14, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #3,252 of 4,701
I wouldn't call them bright exactly. The pro80 for instance is a monitor headphone that measures reasonably flat. One thing they do need for the bass is a good bit of burn in and a decent amp.

Hi could it be a distortion issue ?  
rolleyes.gif

Unfortunately distortion measurements are much less available than also helpful FR graphs. 
I think that generally speaking low distortion is key in audio recording/reproduction
I am quite confident that the better sounding system out there have also spectacular low distortion. 
Even a TOTL headphone amp can do little with a driver that has distortion in some part of its response. 
Am i not saying that it is the case of the pro80.   Actually i hope not because i bought a pair for myself and i should receive them soon. 
wink.gif

Bye, gino  
biggrin.gif

May 14, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #3,253 of 4,701
Hi could it be a distortion issue ?  :rolleyes:
Unfortunately distortion measurements are much less available than also helpful FR graphs. 
I think that generally speaking [COLOR=FF0000]low distortion is key in audio recording/reproduction[/COLOR]
I am quite confident that the better sounding system out there have also spectacular low distortion. 
Even a TOTL headphone amp can do little with a driver that has distortion in some part of its response. 
Am i not saying that it is the case of the pro80.   Actually i hope not because i bought a pair for myself and i should receive them soon. :wink:
Bye, gino  :D   

I'm probably missing something, do you mean the distortion in the headphone itself? I haven't noticed it! It does so nd rather crap trough my work pc though. Hence I hooked it up to a o2/odac combo.

The pro80 are some of the best headphones you can buy for the price!

May 14, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #3,254 of 4,701
I'm probably missing something, do you mean the distortion in the headphone itself? I haven't noticed it! 

Hi and yes ! in the HP itself.   But if a change of amp eliminates the brightness it is a matching issue i guess. Some HPs are a complex load ... not all the amp have the same abilities to drive complex loads.

It does so nd rather crap trough my work pc though. Hence I hooked it up to a o2/odac combo.
The pro80 are some of the best headphones you can buy for the price!

Well this is a very good news.   I do not know if the pro80 are wired like the hi2050 ... it is a pity because just a little better wiring could have improved sound even further.
I am trying to mod but it is a very delicate task ... drivers can be extremely easily damaged in the soldering.
Thanks a lot again for the very good news.  Regards,  gino  

May 14, 2015 at 6:18 AM Post #3,255 of 4,701
Both pr80 and hi2050 are bright headphones and because of that I would not recommend those for people who are not sure if their system is neutral or if it has tendency to boost lower or higher frequencies. For that reason Takstars are not ideal beginner headphones. I've had $100-200 amp dac combos, some of which the sound was great on others it was shrill. On most laptops and pc onboard soundcards sound is on the shrill side.

Theuprising should propably look for other headphones or save for cheap amp/dac combo.. You propably have a bright sounding laptop and if you are also sensitive to highs...No pads or extension cords are going to make you enjoy the headphones.

I have to respectfully disagree with this. I wouldn't call the Pro80's bright and I certainly would consider them an excellent first taste of what good headphones can sound like and thus being perfect beginners headphone. They sounds good with almost any source but still scales with better gear in my opinion. As always YMMV :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back