The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread
May 16, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #3,271 of 4,701
So I'm sure you guys have seen the FR for the Pro 80 from goldenears:

Well here's my EQ attempt from 1k and above, inverted:

I'm no mathmatician, so if anyone can figure out how much to reduce before 500Hz, take a shot at it. Well, other than the bass, it sounds neutral as hell, and artificial. Ugh the 4k drop is really disappointing me with these headphones, though they are good bassy headphones if you're looking for that, I simply was not.

Some songs it sound better with the 800Hz part off:

Hz      Gain   Q
800    -2.0      
2000  -2.5      3   
3000   2.0      3 
4000   9.5      3 
5500  -4.0      5 
7000   1.0      5 
9250  -4.0      4 

EDIT: My best effort:

Hz      Gain   Q
150    -2.0      2

Put it all together and it sounds alright.

May 16, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #3,272 of 4,701
Isolation is a bit better, mostly because they're softer and form around your head. I don't think they'll give you the isolation you want though. If you really want quiet you'll probably be better off with active noise canceling like the m4u-2

That's what I was afraid of...

I think I'll start looking at IEM too.  I don't think there are hidden "gems" in IEMs like the takstar pro was for headphones though (at under 100$).

The unending quest continues...

May 16, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #3,273 of 4,701

I think I'll start looking at IEM too.  I don't think there are hidden "gems" in IEMs like the takstar pro was for headphones though (at under 100$).

If you start looking around you'll find that there's a lot more "unknown " brands delivering seriously good value for money in IEM's than there's in headphones :wink:

May 16, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #3,276 of 4,701

It's all a tradeoff really. The m4u2 has one of the best noise cancelling in the market but it still sounds meh. Also, I always listen to really low volume and then it isolates OK with the hm5 pads. Do you want complete separation from the world when listening to music on the go?
Iem will lack a bit of bass (physics unfortunately)

May 16, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #3,277 of 4,701
Do you want complete separation from the world when listening to music on the go?
Iem will lack a bit of bass (physics unfortunately)

The more I listen to music, the more I realise that this is becoming my number one priority. Ambient noises and sounds are extremely aggravating to me. The problem is that I am on a budget and sound isolating IEM are usually more expensive (I can't pay more than 100$)

I've read good things about the Etymotics, they aren't cheap though. Heard good things also about the Shure Se215, I'm liking the detachable wire. The connector seems to be my achiles heel, that's always where my earphones break so being able to just change the wire sounds nice.

Will read that thread about asian OEM, thanks for linking it.

May 16, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #3,278 of 4,701
Martin Logan Mikros90 have good isolation. I'd say three times better than Takstars. Those can be uncomfortable though because of the clamp that is vice like. Also the sound is hit and miss. Because of poor quality control you can get what ever... at best it is awesome. My pair is clearly better than pro80. At worst it is tinny buzzing thing with no soundstage. Or so I have heard. Kind of like akg k550, you never know what you get.

May 16, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #3,280 of 4,701
The gulf between a TOTL can and a budget can is far far greater than the budget IEM and TOTL IEM. IMO there aren't any budget cans that even comes close to the SQ of a properly amped TOTL can while in the IEM world the budgets are really pushing that boundary

May 18, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #3,282 of 4,701
Ok returning my Takstar 80's, they are too much like my car speakers which almost deafened me, because you have to turn it so loud to hear the scooped out details that the lower bass will deafen you. And if you try EQ'ing, it will sound ugly and artificial, so its simply a lose-lose.

Any (far more)  neutral headphones in the price range? I see you guys say IEM's are a better bang for your buck, which defies all logic for me, since they are also far more convenient than full-size headphones.

May 18, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #3,283 of 4,701
   because you have to turn it so loud to hear the scooped out details that the lower bass will deafen you.

I guess I have to get a extra pair of pro80's because lately so many people have commented on the bass. I'm starting to think takstar has changed something in the never revisions because too much bass would never be an issue with my pair.

For more neutral headphones you could maybe try jvc ha-rx900? Also all the hm3 clones are impressive in that regard. Incipio, maxell, etc...

May 18, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #3,284 of 4,701
  I guess I have to get a extra pair of pro80's because lately so many people have commented on the bass. I'm starting to think takstar has changed something in the never revisions because too much bass would never be an issue with my pair.

For more neutral headphones you could maybe try jvc ha-rx900? Also all the hm3 clones are impressive in that regard. Incipio, maxell, etc...

There was HM5 clones on ebay for ~50 open box but they are all gone now, I'm kicking myself...

Unlike most other headphones its not the mid-bass that is boosted, heck a mid-bass boost is more tolerable for my ears, its just the sub-bass. From 32-150Hz. So many will find it bass light for that reason, I know I do in a way since I can hardly hear the bass guitar. Instead you hear the boom boom boom of the lower bass, and there's a giant scoop out of the upper mids, making for an inconsistently dark pair of headphones.

The RX900's are a semi-open headphone, just like the RX700.

May 18, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #3,285 of 4,701
Actually rx900 semi-open. Rx700 is closed. HM5's are a nice headphone but I find those alot darker than than takstars. Not so much because of the bass but because of limited highs. But apparently the newer versions of hm5 are brighter than the old ones. Neutral and affordable headphones are pretty hard to come by I guess. If you don't mind buying used you can get audio-technica ath-m40fs for about $30. One of the most underrated headphones imo... old and ugly but sound makes up for it,  if lack of colorations is what you are after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back