The Sub-$200 Portable Amps Shootout – 13 (+11) amps compared
May 8, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #332 of 615
May 17, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #334 of 615
Quote:
Are you planning on updating this with the C&C BH? Or did you nix that idea

I just receive it yesterday actually.

Here is some quick impression: RMAA measurement is all fine. Flat FR and good power output, very low output impedance on 'output 1'. It is slightly on the brighter side as it tends to highlight micro-detail a tap more. Soundstage is pretty good as well. However, texture is less than full and bass hit is noticeably weak. Almost like an opposite of FiiO E11, and doesn't feel like it is offering any tight control. Bass booster isn't just boosting bass, it also boosts treble as well, which is rather weird. Soundstage boost is like a slightly over-implemented crossfeed. Sometime it is nice while some time it adds too much resonance into the mix. Overall, I'll say it is right there with E11 - better in soundstage and detail, but lose out in texture and control.

May 20, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #335 of 615
I just receive it yesterday actually.

Here is some quick impression: RMAA measurement is all fine. Flat FR and good power output, very low output impedance on 'output 1'. It is slightly on the brighter side as it tends to highlight micro-detail a tap more. Soundstage is pretty good as well. However, texture is less than full and bass hit is noticeably weak. Almost like an opposite of FiiO E11, and doesn't feel like it is offering any tight control. Bass booster isn't just boosting bass, it also boosts treble as well, which is rather weird. Soundstage boost is like a slightly over-implemented crossfeed. Sometime it is nice while some time it adds too much resonance into the mix. Overall, I'll say it is right there with E11 - better in soundstage and detail, but lose out in texture and control.

Would you say it's a cold or thin amp?

May 20, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #336 of 615
Quote:
Would you say it's a cold or thin amp?

Yes, slightly to the thin side because lower mid to bass carry very little wieght. Though I won't call it cold, it is on the brighter side of things.

Jun 4, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #337 of 615
ClieOS,

Any thoughts on the NuForce Icon iDo?  Surprised it gets so little attention being a DAC/Amp for only $149.  About the same size as the Objective2.  Sure, not exactly "portable" since it needs a DC adaptor.  But still, pretty small for all it does.  

Jun 4, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #338 of 615
Quote:
ClieOS,

Any thoughts on the NuForce Icon iDo?  Surprised it gets so little attention being a DAC/Amp for only $149.  About the same size as the Objective2.  Sure, not exactly "portable" since it needs a DC adaptor.  But still, pretty small for all it does.  

It is not portable and designed only for iDevice, that means it is out of my interest (I am an Android guy, a Nano 7G is as far as I am willing to pay Apple). Personally, I think people will either pay  more to get a real portable setup (CLAS and such) or a desktop rig (many newer receiver already support digital-out from iDevices). iDo is a bit too ambiguous in the middle.

Jun 8, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #339 of 615
Is there anything out there that would compare to the O2 + ODAC combo, but usb powered, with bass boost, portable (rechargeable) and android friendly?

It doesn't have to be a single device or in this price range. I just though I would ask here and see where you can point me.

Jun 8, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #340 of 615
Some have successfully use UD100 and ODAC on their Samsung Galaxy S3 / Note 2, then it is just a question of find an O2 level portable amp with bass boost. JDS Labs C5 should be really close.

There are now 'designed for Android' portable amp / DAC in the market, but they are not universally functional - this is mainly because most Android smartphone still do not included the necessary USB Audio Class 2 driver in the firmware to enable USB DAC to work, even though Google has promised to add it in 4.1.1 (or is it 4.1.2?)

Anyway, I don't know any all-in-one solution myself.

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #341 of 615
Hey guys,

I've got a pair of UM Merlins for which I'm trying to work out an amping solution.  Ideally, the amp of choice would be one that can double as a USB DAC such as the Fiio E7 (which I own.)  I'll be using the amp with my smartphone, which is currently a Galaxy SII (Sprint variant) but will soon be an HTC One.  The fact that both the One is able to utilize a USB DAC makes me think that may be my preferred means of amping rather than using an aux input.  If you think I'd have better results just using an amp rather than an amp/DAC (e.g. Fiio E12 vs an E17,) then I'd be open to that.

What do you feel would be the best portable amp (or amp/DAC) for my CIEM's?  I would prefer an amp which is brighter rather than warmer.  I would also prefer something similar in size to the E7, certainly not much larger.

Thanks!

Jun 15, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #342 of 615
Quote:
Hey guys,

I've got a pair of UM Merlins for which I'm trying to work out an amping solution.  Ideally, the amp of choice would be one that can double as a USB DAC such as the Fiio E7 (which I own.)  I'll be using the amp with my smartphone, which is currently a Galaxy SII (Sprint variant) but will soon be an HTC One.  The fact that both the One is able to utilize a USB DAC makes me think that may be my preferred means of amping rather than using an aux input.  If you think I'd have better results just using an amp rather than an amp/DAC (e.g. Fiio E12 vs an E17,) then I'd be open to that.

What do you feel would be the best portable amp (or amp/DAC) for my CIEM's?  I would prefer an amp which is brighter rather than warmer.  I would also prefer something similar in size to the E7, certainly not much larger.

Thanks!

Not every USB DAC + amp will work on Android ( and each Samsung and HTC's support will also be different), so you have to be careful since your choices are more limited than you think. Though I am into Android, I don't keep track of which USB DAC will work on which smartphone, but there is a thread in the forum you can find.

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #344 of 615
great comparison! thanks for that and I am now into the JDS labs O2 
beyersmile.png

Jun 22, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #345 of 615
ClieOS,

I am absolutely leaning towards the Objective 2.  But I am afraid.  Why?
Because I've had headphone amps in the past and returned them because
the improvements were so minimal they were not worth the hassle of using. 
I previously had the Fiio e11 and Cmoy (JDS Labs).  

i intend to use an amp with my iPod Classic and either Grado SR80's
or V-Moda M-80's.  I don't have a separate DAC (though that's
something I may get later on, if the amp proves awesome).

I don't need portability.  Will use the set-up at home.

For someone like me -- a "budding budget audiophile" -- is 
the Objective 2 worth it?  

I am okay with the hassle of an extra device so long as the 
improvement is readily discernible.  I don't have Golden Ears
and don't use spectrographs or whatnot to measure
frequencies. I just want to chill out to some impactful
Classical Music and not worry about it.  :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back